First Time Using the Rack

Options
I just started NROLFW today and I think it went really well. I picked a time of day to go to the gym when I knew many people wouldn't be there, mainly so the squat rack would be free and also so I didn't feel like people were watching me as I fumbled around figuring it out how to use it. Well, the gym was fairly empty when I got there but there was a middle-aged man using one of the racks (it's one that has cables and stuff on it and you can slide a bench under it.

Anyway, the regular rack was free but I looked at it for a minute or two and just couldn't figure out how to set it so I could step under the bar and do my squats... I ended up asking the middle-aged guy and he helped me out. I didn't realize that you could remove the pins from the sides of the rack (one was on the front, one was on the back). After that I was able to do my squats and he even checked on me to make sure I was okay, haha. I was pretty nervous about my first workout, especially since I'd never used the rack before, but I don't think I'll be nervous anymore.

One thing I was wondering about is that he said I should use this cushion thing that wraps around the bar to cushion your neck. The book doesn't mention anything like that so I'm wondering if anyone else uses it and if you would recommend it? I used it today but I'm not sure if it makes a difference whether I do or not. Thanks!

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Good for you for figuring out the squat rack. That was the hardest part of getting started for me.

I don't use the cushion-thing. At first, my neck/upper back was sore from the bar resting against it, but as my form has improved, I'm able to carry the weight lower on my shoulders/back and don't really get sore anymore. I tried the cushion-thing, but it kind of pushed me forward and threw my balance off a bit.

I'm really not sure if it's better to use it or better to go without. The book really doesn't mention it.

Does anyone who squats big weights have an opinion?
  • jamkat
    jamkat Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm still in Stage 1, my last A workout, I squatted 95 lbs. After the 1st couple of reps I saw the cushion thing on the floor and realized I probably needed it. I found it to be useful and more comfortable.

Good for you huckleberry for getting your 1st A workout done! Next, you'll get B done and then you'll feel somewhat more comfortable on your next round!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with the cushion. All that happens is you get used to it so when the gym has lost it's cushion you're like, "Ow, this hurts". Like my pansy husband. ;)
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I used it once because it was already on the bar. I didn't like it. If you put the bar on the correct part of your shoulders you will be fine. I watched a bunch of videos on utube to make sure I was doing it right.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the low bar position for the back squat:

http://www.fireservicewarrior.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Squat1.jpg

if you push your shoulder blades together and tighten your muscles before you are on the bar this will stop the bar digging into your back and then no need for the pad.

To locate the position of the low bar if you reach your arm over your shoulder behind your back you can feel the lump at the top of the scapular, the bar sits below this :)
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    This is timely for me. My trainer had me in this powerlifting torture contraption yesterday called "the yoke" and I woke up this morning with a VERY sore neck, like bruised and sore to the touch. I think I may have had the bar resting to far up on my neck and need to have it lower on my shoulders/back. Either that or the weight was just too much for me, 200lbs.

I WILL be icing it today cause I'm a big weenie.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I have started readin 'Starting Strength' to help me understand form better and from what I have seen the bar should be further down your back to get the centre of gravity right. In other words, you shouldn't need the cushion particularly.

One small issue I have with the squat rack, is that the one I am using is non-adjustable on the lowest peg (ie. where you pick the bar up from). I'm not very tall, so in order to lift the bar off the rack, I have to slightly stand on tiptoes, and to get the bar back I have to slightly set it off balance a bit to do so.

It's fine at present, but I am worried that when i get to bigger weights I'm going to cause no end of mayhem as I drop the bar......

any suggestions? there is another rack which I could use that has lower rests. Maybe I should use that one, but there are often people on that. Maybe I should just go all out and have a trainer led session again....
  • huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely try it without the cushion on my next workout. I did notice that I was a little wobbly/unsteady and felt like my center of balance was off but I assumed it was just because it was my first time and I hadn't quite figured out the right weight yet. Maybe ditching the cushion and trying to hold the bar lower down on my back will help.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely try it without the cushion on my next workout. I did notice that I was a little wobbly/unsteady and felt like my center of balance was off but I assumed it was just because it was my first time and I hadn't quite figured out the right weight yet. Maybe ditching the cushion and trying to hold the bar lower down on my back will help.

I don't use the pad either. I've found that really squeezing your shoulder blades together before you un-rack the bar really helps.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    One small issue I have with the squat rack, is that the one I am using is non-adjustable on the lowest peg (ie. where you pick the bar up from). I'm not very tall, so in order to lift the bar off the rack, I have to slightly stand on tiptoes, and to get the bar back I have to slightly set it off balance a bit to do so.

It's fine at present, but I am worried that when i get to bigger weights I'm going to cause no end of mayhem as I drop the bar......

any suggestions? there is another rack which I could use that has lower rests. Maybe I should use that one, but there are often people on that. Maybe I should just go all out and have a trainer led session again....

This is the squat rack at my gym:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=squat+rack+life+fitness&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=870&tbm=isch&tbnid=Oe9oslNcbnhteM:&imgrefurl=http://www.lifefitness.com/commercial/lfstrength/SignatureSeriesBenchesandRacks/olympicstations/olympicsquatrack.html&imgurl=http://www.lifefitness.com/static/cms_workspace/products/commercial/lfstrength/signatureseriesbenchesracks/CS-SigBenchRack_SOSR-hero.png&w=500&h=500&ei=u30_UILGCbKw0AH6qIDgDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=184&vpy=14&dur=1594&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=98&ty=126&sig=108104634120172395631&page=1&tbnh=159&tbnw=156&start=0&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:72

The lowest peg is no higher than waist-high on me, so I can't imagine one where all the pegs are too high. If you have one like this, it's probably worth waiting for if your gym is busy when you go. Or a cage-style one, like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM2037274901P?sid=IDx20120715x00001&ci_src=25356082&ci_sku=SPM2037274901&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=32-152244132-2
  • huckleberry0070
    huckleberry0070 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Okay, apparently I don't know what a squat rack is. The one I was using is the second one pictured, the cage. I haven't seen anything like the first picture at my gym.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Are you super sure that the one you use at the gym is not adjustable? The second one is a power-rack, they're kind of known for the ability to adjust them... from bench height, to squat height, to calf-raising height, to help you out with your upright row height. Is it welded so that it's not adjustable (like the gym did it?)

'Cause that sounds super weird. And inconvenient if it's not adjustable. :(