Crossfit Shoes!

Options
Mummyadams
Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
Hi all, It is fast becoming obvious that my traditional Brooke running shoes just don't cut it when CF'ing. They feel heavy, bulky and unnatural.
Can anyone suggest a good shoe that I can use for CF and also for the treadmill running that I do 2 x week?

Replies

• pandapwned
    Options
    I've been using Inov-8 f230s for a few months now and love them. I'm not sure I would run an incredibly long distance in them since there's very little in the form of cushioning, but they've really helped my lifts, burpees, bear crawls, etc-- anything where having your feet closer to the ground helps. The most I've run in them is 3 miles and it was totally fine, I was just worried that my knee might hurt if I kept going, there's zero arch support in them.

A lot of people at my box also use the new CrossFit Nano by Reebok, but the toe-box on those shoes is really wide and always makes me feel silly. (Although they do come is awesome colors since you can customize them)
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    Thanks, I just looked them up - the Inov-8 f230's look great and available in NZ - bonus! - anyone else?
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have Nike free runs. I like them.
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    I love the Nanos
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm getting Nanos for my birthday. Everyone at my box loves them. I don't recommend free runs because they still have a standard 12mm drop and aren't good for lifting (squishy sole in addition to the standard drop). I know a lot of people have Inov-8s as well or the New Balance minimalist shoes.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    and i thought i was an overthinker.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I wear New Balance Minimus (road version) for CrossFit. I don't wear them for runs over 800m long though because I did that once and my calves/achilles were sore for days.

However, I do think the Minimus could be worn for longer running but it's something I'd have to build up to and I haven't bothered to do so.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    IMO, those nano and crossfit shoes are overrated and provides no benefit to my feet. New Balance 608 provides better than those shoes and it's far cheaper in a better quality. It serves me well all around in crossfit except with runnings. I use addias running shoes for the runnings.

IMO, you will be better served if you get two shoes for two different kind of WOD. One set of shoes for oly lifting and all around movements without runnings and jumpings. One set of different shoes for jumpings and runnings. It works pretty well for me.
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Jindra, I do runs and lifting together. I don't want to change shoes during sessions. So I need a pair that would do both. So maybe a shoe with a little more support/lift? Not so minimalist?
  • Sloeeyed
    Options
    I'm still rocking my all-black Chucks! The only time I really notice them is during box jumps--they're heavy!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Jindra, I do runs and lifting together. I don't want to change shoes during sessions. So I need a pair that would do both. So maybe a shoe with a little more support/lift? Not so minimalist?

Nothing wrong with a minimalist shoe for running, just ease your way into it.

Here's a helpful article, kind of divides shoes up based on the type of CrossFitter:
    http://crossfitfenrir.com/2011/03/24/shoes-crossfit-ultimate-crossfit-shoedown/

The two most worn shoes at our box here are the Inov-8s (drop based on preference of wearer) and the Nanos. After that it would the Merrell or New Balance minimalist shoes. The more serious lifters also have oly shoes... but some of our best lifters rock Chucks or Adidas Sambas : ) I've heard Sambas are pretty decent for running WODs too since they are an indoor soccer shoe.

I run a lot outside of CrossFit so I have a separate pair of running specific shoes that I will only wear for either long run CF WODs (those brutal mile runs that sometimes pop up in a WOD) and my non CF running workouts. I don't wear them casually and I don't wear them for other workouts because I want to get some good use out of them. I used to wear Nike Free Runs for my CF shoe, I've noticed that I don't particularly care for them when I'm just weightlifting. I lift barefoot a lot but on days that are mixed lifting and running I can't do that. That's why I'm looking into the Nanos or something similar that I can run and still lift well in.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I wear the inov-8 f-lite 195. They provide support and some cushiness for running and jumping yet are flat and good for lifting. Love these shoes. Also love the awesome colors!!

http://www.zappos.com/inov-8-f-lite-195-black-orange-grape
  • anniep106
    anniep106 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i love my new balance 661 minimal shoes so much i just bought a second pair. they are fairly inexpensive too. i run in them, lift in them, and wear them to work on days i can. i really love them. a lot.
  • ferg75
    Options
    I wear Nike Frees and love them!
  • Mummyadams
    Options
    Thanks all for your feedback, I think I will go for the inov-8 f-lite 230 as they seem to be a good transition shoe while allowing for some running too.
  • Jindra12
    Options

I don't change shoes during the WOD. I just had to weight on how much the WOD would do the running versus lifting. If its more of running then you know. Little more support shoes are always best. You also would want to have a running shoes to keep you going in a long distance running. It is like several guns for different jobs. :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Using Adidas Adios 2. Second pair. Love them.

Looking at purchasing weightlifting shoes.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I wear the New Balance Minimus Zeros. I wear them for cross fit AND running. I've run up to 6 miles in them without a problem. I raced in them on Friday night and every crossfitter there had similar shoes. They are the best shoes I have ever owned.

Also looking at buying weightlifting shoes.....
  • Talialala
    Talialala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Said it before, say it again

VIBRAMS!!!!!

Best shoes ever :)

I'm sure lots will disagree. I guess it depends on the type. But I'll use nothing else in CF, or in life :D
  • Jindra12
    Options
    FYI, the oly shoes could create more problems than necessary. Oly shoes lifts your heel to give your ankle a better moblity. However, for some people it causes them to lose the balance in the lifting. Therefore, I would recommend you to try it out in the lifting before you buy one.

For me NB 608 is perfect for oly lifting.