A few questions

Options
ksellen1
ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
I'm all in here people! I've been contemplating this change for a few weeks and am ready to get going. I have a few questions....

#1 Is sodium intake an issue? I've done diets....lots of diets...and when I'm eating real food I always had to stay away from sodium....which meant deli meat. I don't plan on doing it often, but I've seen posts of deli meats for snacks.

#2 What are the most important things to have on hand at all times? I see the coconut oils and other things that are mentioned in the book I read but I'm curious what you people really depend on to be successful.

#3 I see that many people don't track calories. I'm use to tracking something....calories points...whatever. Is staying under a certain amount of calories important? I work for a metabolic assessment company. I know exactly how many calories my body needs to stay out of starvation mode. Should I just shoot for at least that?

#4 What are your go-to snacks to keep at work. I have a food drawer. This has been filled with almonds, FiberOne bars, V8 and various other healthier snacks but obviously non Paleo. I'm usually really good about packing food to get me through the day, but there are those times. What do you keep on hand?

#5 My husband is doing this diet with me, though he doesn't really know he is. I shop. I cook. I pack lunches. He's going to eat whatever I put in front of him. Any suggestions on how to keep family members who don't have 100% buy in satisfied?

I know some of these questions are answered in the posts already, but I'm posting it anyway.

PS.....please feel free to friend me!

Replies

• beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    1. When you eat Paleo, sodium shouldn't be a problem. Unless you "cheat" nothing you eat should be crazy in sodium. I eat deli meat occasionally but I don't seem to have a problem with it and I just make sure I get all my water in for the day! When you cut out all the processed stuff you'll just have to see how deli meats and the like affect you.
    2. Coconut oil, eggs, protein, veggies, butter....pretty vague list but if you have all of those you can make lots of different meals and not get bored.
    3. I stopped tracking since I'm doing a Whole30. It's freeing:) I suggest do what makes you feel comfortable. I wouldn't go off a certain number really though, try listening to your body more and eat until you're just full. Some days you'll be under, some you'll be over. At least that's my experience.
    4. Pistachios (I buy the individual packaged ones!), beef jerky, pork rinds, Lara bars, dried fruits...
    5. I'm the only one in my fam doing this but there are lots of "mock" recipes you can do. Squash noodles instead of pasta....almond or coconut flour can make great pancakes, wheat type stuff.

I've been primal since May and started my first Whole30 on the first of this month...I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt:) I do feel like I've learned a lot in the last almost 4 months. I still have a lot to learn though:)

Good luck!
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You have been ever so helpful! I'm glad that sodium isn't a real issue. It will help me tremendously on the nights I have class after work and have to sometimes eat in the car in traffic!

I don't know anything about the Whole30....I'll have to check it out.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    1. I don't add a lot of salt to my food, so when I eat processed stuff with sale (guac, bacon, etc.), I'm probably okay-- I wouldn't obsess, but you might want to track that macro just to see when you start.
    2. Coconut oil, olive oil, eggs, nuts, apples, carrots. These you can cook with, and eggs and fruit/veg make a lot of simple meals for me. Dull, but when I'm lazy/exhausted from work, they do fine.
    3. I go off and on tracking (and sometimes that's in the same day). Do what works for you.
    4. Pistachios (because I love them), almonds (when I don't hate them), unsweetened apple sauce. I keep carrots and the 100 calorie guacamole in the fridge. I would say cooked chicken, but I hate chicken, so some lean meat you can eat quickly on the go. Tuna salad is another one-- I just mix tuna with random spices (I also hate mayo), and that's lunch a lot of times.
    5. Meal plan with him-- ask his opinions on recipes and ideas. Collard wrapped fish was an awesome idea the other night, but the husband might scream if I make meatballs again within the next month. I didn't realize he hated having the same thing day after day (I don't care when I'm tired enough) and that it was a huge problem for him, until he told me. Little things like that can go along way. Also, he can eat what he wants-- if he doesn't like something I make, he can make something else (and sometimes does).

Hope that helps!
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    #1 Sodium

Without processed foods, you won't get a lot of sodium-packed foods. You'll see that your tastes for salt will change over time, but I do prefer salt with some food items. You'll want to be sure you have some salt in your food to stay hydrated.

#2 Most important things to have on hand at all times

I depend on hard-boiled eggs, good cheese (Primal), beef jerky, pork rinds, bacon, and avocados. Other cooking items include olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, bacon grease and unsalted grass fed butter.

#3 Tracking

Forget all about starvation mode. If you're eating when you're hungry, you'll meet the goal you need to be successful. I started out eating around 1300 calories a day, tracking every morsel. But then I did an experiment where I ate what I wanted, when I wanted, within my macronutrient limits and I was eating between 1900-2200 calories a day without gaining (maintenance phase). The reason Paleo-ites don't track calories for the most part is to see an overall trend for the week/month, carbs are limited to under 100 a day if losing, and protein needs are met daily. I lose the most weight when I eat the most fat. If you must track something, track your sugar and carbs. It's amazing the amount of sugar that is in bananas and apples. Until Paleo, I never understood. This is a huge difference from what I hear Weight Watchers is about. WW lets you eat all the fruit you want but there is a reason behind not doing that...sugar is sugar in all forms, spiking insulin and storing it as glycogen. It simply doesn't work for Paleo-ites since we're fat-burning machines.

#4 Go-To Snacks at Work

You'll see that as you get further into your journey, your snacks will drop off for the most part. I used to eat snacks in the afternoon after lunch but now if I eat them, they're in the evening, usually when I get home from work before I've cooked dinner. For now though, keep berries and cheese (if Primal) in the fridge, and in your drawer, keep natural almonds and beef jerky. Also any veggies are great. My favorite...pork rinds with a Wholly Guacamole snack pack.

#5 Husbands and other family

My husband didn't do it willingly but then he started to see his weight dropping without even trying. If he doesn't want to eat what you make, have him make his own. But if he's willing to try your food, be ready to buy some cookbooks and try a bunch of new recipes, or even look them up online. Everything that I've tried to make has turned out great, and so my husband is always willing to go along with it. Another thing you can do is rely on cooked meats. For instance, I cooked fajitas last night. My husband ate the meat and veggies with tortillas, but I ate the meat and veggies smothered in guacamole. There are little compromises that can be made so he doesn't feel like it's so torturous. For my kids, I usually cook something we can all eat like steak and salad, or a roasted chicken with veggies on the side.

Hope that helps!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1) Personally, I don't think it is (or will be) much of an issue. Absent a medical reason, I don't see a need to intentionally limit your sodium. (And the "paleo" diet will almost certainly reduce it compared to SAD.) In fact, I've read a few articles alluding to *low* sodium being a potential problem for some.

2) Pastured eggs, coconut oil, avocados, Kerrygold butter, and a freezer full of grass-fed/finished beef. Farmer's markets are awesome too.

3) I track to ensure I'm hitting my calorie minimums, but I'm on a 180 degree different journey than 98.44% of MFPers. However, when I was intentionally losing weight, I also tracked. I'm just a type-A, accountant-type that likes data. Consistent recording let me make the necessary tweaks to achieve the results I wanted. Without that, I would have been mostly guessing...(not that there's anything wrong with that, at least if your guessing still gets you to your goals).

4) Once I went full paleo/JERF, I stopped snacking. Not intentionally, but that's just the way it worked out. Even now when I sometimes have to work at it to get in all of my calories, I just don't eat between meals. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

5) Heh. Good luck on this one.
  • Leverty35
    Leverty35 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've just started researching this and am going to transition into a primal diet. Can you explain or give me an example of what 'good cheese' would be? I love cheese and don't want to completely give it up. Thanks!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned with the presence of corn syrup in most deli meats. Avoid those. I have found most of the ones at the deli counter contain corn syrup (except Boar's Head)
  • DiCE12
    DiCE12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1) Personally, I don't think it is (or will be) much of an issue. Absent a medical reason, I don't see a need to intentionally limit your sodium. (And the "paleo" diet will almost certainly reduce it compared to SAD.) In fact, I've read a few articles alluding to *low* sodium being a potential problem for some.

from personal experience :) if you exercise a lot & don't replinish sodium you get cramping & I think it can affect you in other ways (same with other electrolytes! - need replenishing!)

I never have added salt to food & used to get serious leg cramp in the middle of night :(
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I eat an average of 3,500 mg of sodium daily. I still lose my weight and getting into shape. I need high sodium for the oly lifting or my muscles would go cramp and sore.

Last week, I over ran the calories limit because I was eating lots of almond nuts. It just went out of my body and I could see them (sorry for TMI). I lost 3 lbs from last week. I know it sounds crazy but try to control your sugar intakes. Avoid HFCS at all possible. If you have to take HFCS in an event and then try get it minimum as possible. I don't want to be strict with my diet but I often get lose once a while on to train my body to hate those certain foods.

Overall I am just as Jofitncb6 and he said in his comment.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

from personal experience :) if you exercise a lot & don't replinish sodium you get cramping & I think it can affect you in other ways (same with other electrolytes! - need replenishing!)

I never have added salt to food & used to get serious leg cramp in the middle of night :(

This, plus I watch my potassium (to get enough to also avoid cramping). I also take a magnesium supplement. Unfortunately MFP doesn't give the option to track this one.

Sometimes I need snacks, sometimes not. I try to at least bring 1 in case I'm hungry. Depends on my activity level (if I lift heavy, I'll be STARVING the next day) and if I know I'll be eating dinner late (snack to tide me over).

Snacks: hard boiled eggs, macadamia nuts, pistachios (the individual bags are expensive here, I get the big bags and just use a 1/2 cup container with lid to pre-measure what I bring), avocados, carrots & almond butter, deli meat or cheese if I'm in a pinch. I've also made a snack out of almond butter, coconut oil or butter, coconut flour, flax seeds, unsweetened shredded coconut, then cinnamon and/or vanilla extract for flavoring - it's a little high on cals for a snack, but gets calories in quick, too. It's similar to a protein bar recipe I used to use, but left out the oats. Oh, and I just eat it with a spoon!

Jindra: cashews do that to me.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I guess I should clarify that I snack a lot, since breakfast and lunch are not always a well respected time around here, so I usually grab food around meetings. I don't always eat when I'm hungry, but I try to eat something in anticipation of that if I know I'm going to be blocked for a few hours when I will definitely be hungry.

I take meds that have to be taken with food too, so that's another component that I'm working around. I recommend trying to eat when you're actually hungry (which is what happens on the weekend), but don't stress about the "no snacks" thing. You have to build it around the way you spend your day.
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've just started researching this and am going to transition into a primal diet. Can you explain or give me an example of what 'good cheese' would be? I love cheese and don't want to completely give it up. Thanks!

I think what the other poster meant was if you're primal you can have cheese, if you're paleo dairy is off limits. Although cheese slices, cheez whiz, and similar overly processed products would be the 'bad' ones.