Help! Adding strength training.. adding pounds?

Options
Goal_Driven
Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
Recently, I've been adding strength training workouts and am actually starting to see some definition in my body! It's good to see results :) I feel great!

But, I'm worried that the scale number will go up and it's going to be impossible to reach my ultimate goal. But I would rather have muscle, be tone and fit and have definition than to be just flabby and weak at my ideal number. But I know that muscle weighs more than fat. And I know you can actually be smaller with muscle and at a higher number vs. being bigger with fat at a smaller number.

So I guess I'm just asking advice on my goal weight, to see what others think!

I'm 5'9" and started out my journey before MFP at 168 lbs and my initial goal was to be 148 lbs (like I was in high school) because that's when I felt the most comfortable. When I joined MFP, I was 162 lbs.. currently, I am 141 lbs.. 27lb loss. I've gone beyond my first goal and am actually trying to get to 125 lbs since I still feel flabby and big.. I don't feel like I did in high school lol, most likely because I had more muscle then and now I have more fat. A healthy weight for my height is 125-168 lbs, so I'm obviously trying to get to the lowest healthy weight. But I don't want to be 125 lbs with fat hanging around still! So that's why I'm start to strength train. But I'm afraid of my number going up.

So here's my stats in summary: Height: 5'9", Weight: 141, BMI: 20.8, Body Fat %: around 21%, Measurements.. Waist: 30", Hips: 34.5"

My question is, do you think my stats are healthy? And should I not pay so much attention to the number anymore and concentrate on my measurements instead? Maybe if I set my ultimate goal weight to 135 lbs instead while still strength training?

I do think 125 lbs, especially for my frame may be pushing it a little. So I will change that to 135.. but still, thoughts? :) Thanks!

Replies

• jkchampton
    Options
    I would not push yourself to be 125 pounds. After all the doctor would consider you under weight if you were just one pound less. I would mostly go by measurement. I have seen some pretty amazing pictures of people at the same weight but one with lots of muscle and one without much, and the one with muscle looked much, much thinner. Keep weight training and you will be very happy with your results! You can still try to loose a few pounds of fat, but don't stress over it. Just go by how you look.
  • Goal_Driven
    Options
    Thank you, this is very comforting! I never really thought about that though, how if I did go for 125 and lost 1 more lb, I would then be under weight! But yeah, I'll re-evaluate my goals and shoot for 135 and just focus on the measurements! :)

And I just looked up some pics for around my weight. Someone started at 140, then they toned up and weighed 142, but they looked like they lost 20+ lbs just by toning! That's so inspiring, thanks for reminding me of looking at before and after pics too!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I agree 125 sounds kind of low for a woman of your height. I'm only 5' 6" and I struggle to get down to 125. Any less than 125 and I think I start to look too skinny. I have fairly small frame, broad shoulders and a decent amount of muscle. 130-135 is ideal for me. If I lifted even more, I could probably go as high as 140 and go up in clothes sizes. I would just be more dense. You've got the right idea though, just focus on the measurements! Congrats on your loss so far, that's a great accomplishment! Just keep hitting the weights hard and reevaluate every couple weeks.
  • Goal_Driven
    Options
    Thank you! Great advice! That's very comforting :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    This blog post of mine addresses a lot of your questions: http://www.isthisbliss.com/101-reasons-to-ditch-the-scale/

I can't possibly weigh what I weighed in high school again. I was 110 pounds. Now I'm about 134 with 108 pounds of lean mass. If I was somehow able to keep all my lean mass and get to 110 pounds, I'd have less than 2% body fat... and I'd be dead. :wink:

BUT... this is me at about the size I was in high school, and me last fall... in the SAME pair of jeans. More than 20 years later, more than 20 pounds heavier, and the same jeans fit.

1991-2011-copy.jpg

My weight has gone up a little since adding strength training. I am in LOVE with the results.

rear-view-1.jpg

bikini-front-copy.jpg