Nausea from fats?

Options
eireannyoung
eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
Hi all! Well I am really trying to go a little more strict on Paleo/Primal and cut down on my sugar/carb intake. So, of course, I've been eating more fats without a carb companion. For instance, a couple hours ago I ate half a cup of raw slivered almonds, and I've been feeling queasy ever since then. Usually I'd probably be eating some type of carb with it and then I wouldn't have the nausea.

It's important to me to cut down on carbs/sugar to stabilize my mood and blood sugar, but I'm finding it hard to eat anything high-fat without a carb companion. The only reason I can eat so many eggs a day is because I crush potatoes into them - before I discovered that trick I couldn't really eat eggs at all because of the nausea. Same thing with nuts and seeds, coconut oil, and other fats.

Any suggestions on how to get my tummy more used to the fats without having to eat too many carbs?

Replies

• jodester13
    jodester13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have any answers -- but I'm interested in what other people say. I find that it's the almonds that make my tummy quesy. I guess I might just have to eliminate them.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    several thoughts. Most paleo peeps say nuts should be thought of as a condiment not as a primary source of fuel.
    Second, I'd try adding some serious protein to fat, rather than carbs. maybe that will help.
    I do know people that have problems with eggs in general so maybe you are more dealing with a reaction to particular foods. (and almonds can be in that list).
    I primarily eat protein and add fat to cook with (butter, coconut etc).

Maybe you get bold and try a bulletproof coffee?
  • eireannyoung
    Options
    Thanks for the insight! I am trying to gain weight, yet I also have multiple food intolerances (grains, lactose, etc.), so nuts and seeds really have to be my primary source of fuel and a great way to get a lot of calories fast. I'll probably be able to eat more meat when I get my student loans again, but until then I can't really afford too much (I can only tolerate organic/grass-fed, super-expensive meat).

I don't have this problem at all when I soak the nuts and seeds (which lowers the fat content and starts the germination process), however if I do that for all of them then I feel like I'm starving later in the day.

I do know that I woke up this morning feeling so fantastic compared to a couple days ago, because I eliminated so much sugar. It's definitely worth it! Maybe I will try some ginger for the nausea and see if that works.
  • eireannyoung
    Options
    What is a bulletproof coffee?
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    My husband has gastroparesis and can't digest fat (and lots of other things) well. He eats a lot of very lean meats. I'd recommend talking to a butcher about what's about to go off-- you can freeze it to use it later and usually get it at a decent price. I do this for seafood too. I check the sale circulars weekly, and buy a lot at Trader Joe's and Costco. We also eat a lot of eggs in our house.

Liquid fats are easier to digest, so making a coconut milk (full fat) based smoothie might help you too. You can add plenty of veg to that, blend and drink. I also use an egg based protein powder (you can even buy plain dried egg powder) for additional protein.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    butter (and MCT oil) whipped into black coffee. Google it - it is a bit of a thing and you will see people post about it from time to time. Pure fat in your caffeine.

I was extremely allergic to all full fat dairy. If I would have 2% milk latte I would be over the toilet throwing up for about a day. If I ate a cheese burger, but had pulled the cheese off... I would have horrible nausea and diarrhea for 12 hours.

Now, since going primal, I have zero problem with dairy. I can eat ice cream, butter, milk etc without the allergic reactions I used to have. I lived my life trying to get low fat so I could lose weight, be healthy and not have the reactions. It seriously limited my food list.

Now I eat lots of fat just don't eat grains
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Could you be experiencing the 'carb flu'? When I went through it one of my side effect was nausea. Not fun!!
  • christimw
    christimw Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    my morning shot of coconut oil came up just as quick as i swallowed it this morning. i don't know what that was about, i've been taking it for a week and it hasn't bothered me.
  • eireannyoung
    Options
    That coffee sounds awful! Lol. I'll stick to my green tea.
    I guess I should research "carb flu" more, so maybe that's it, not sure. However I've gone low-carb before (accidentally) and I actually felt great, not flu-like at all. I feel more energetic and my mood is more stable when I lower my carb intake, so the nausea from fats is the only problem I have.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    almonds can be hard on the stomach if that's all you ate
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I don't have any answers -- but I'm interested in what other people say. I find that it's the almonds that make my tummy quesy. I guess I might just have to eliminate them.

Me too! I thought it was just me. Anytime I snack on almonds I'm just sick to my stomach!
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That coffee sounds awful! Lol. I'll stick to my green tea.
    I guess I should research "carb flu" more, so maybe that's it, not sure. However I've gone low-carb before (accidentally) and I actually felt great, not flu-like at all. I feel more energetic and my mood is more stable when I lower my carb intake, so the nausea from fats is the only problem I have.

The coffee does sound awful, I know! And then I tried it, and fell in love:)
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The more I drink, the more I like!
  • eireannyoung
    Options
    I don't think it's actually carb flu, because I am still moderate to high carb - last time when I went lower carb I was still smoking cigarettes, now that I quit I crave sugar a lot more :( I will get there, though! I think eating fats with protein helped with the nausea, because I usually feel okay when I eat meat by itself. Thanks everyone :)