Two days after starting

Options
sgthaggard
sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
And the DOMS is KILLING me! I parked on the first level of my parking garage just so that I wouldn't have to navigate stairs. :laugh:

Any way to relieve the muscle pain besides time?

Replies

• Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It'll get easier the more you continue you workout until you reach new stages and work new muscles. For the time being, take some tylenol or advil and make sure you keep moving. Stretching your muscles will actually help to relieve some of the pain. Also make sure on lifting days that you're getting enough protein!
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    After my first work out I ended up taking two days off instead of one, I was in that much pain! Getting down on the floor to play with my daughter made me cry.

I just took some tylenol and ibuprofen, drank a lot of water, and stretched and moved around as much as I could to loosen my muscles up. Sometimes just taking a walk helps, even though it hurts so much at the time.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    After my first work out I ended up taking two days off instead of one, I was in that much pain! Getting down on the floor to play with my daughter made me cry.
    I hear you. I think I'm going to stretch it out to three days.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're doing a proper general warm-up and the exercise specific warm-ups. NEVER skip a stretching session after lifting. Stretch each muscle for 60 seconds. Tough it out and don't skip any workouts.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    No, I'm definitly not toughing it out - I'll get a better second workout if I have recovered a full range of motion.
  • twinkletoes66
    twinkletoes66 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was totally the same ! I'm on A 3 in the morning wish me luck ! X
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    OH I feel your pain!! When I upped my deadlifts weight I had to take 2 days off. My back was so sore (not painful - just truly worked). I was taking Aleve before bed and then a couple ibprophen when I woke up and felt much better as the days progressed. Stay moving - if you can.

And don't forget your stretching after working out (I always forget or am pressed for time and therefore pay for it the next day).

Happy lifting!!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Has anyone of you tried a foam roller? I am quite tempted to buy one.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me, I need to stretch after my workouts. That's one thing I've completely skipped thus far, and I have habituallly gotten sore every time I increase my weight (the soreness just isn't as bad as the initial soreness). Mental note: stretch! I also second the idea to keep moving, it really helps.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It sounds odd, but working the muscle again has always helped me.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    ^^^This for me too...as well as alleve
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options

Me too. I like to workout again because I feel so much better after. Looking forward to tomorrow's workout because my lats are killing me today!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    The only time i really suffer from DOMS is when I haven't warmed up properly, if I'm pressed for time then I just think oh a couple of warm up lifts will do, then next morning BAM!! lol I don't do stretching after, never have done, just the way I do it :) I find that if you have DOMS lightly work that area again to get the blood pumping to it and you will feel better :)

I use a foam roller after soccer training if I have been doing sprint training, but again if I didn't warm up properly then i will still get muscle ache no matter what I do afterwards :)
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I've never tried foam rolling, but I've heard it's great. I just take Advil, and an extra day of no-lifting if I feel like I need it. Stage 3, workout A (after 2 rest weeks between stage 2 & 3) had my hamstrings screaming at me for days.
  • MerBear1985
    Options
    Warm Up - Lift - Stretch - Walk

I learned this my first day when I added weight to my squats (never had before) and almost fell down the stairs as I left the weight room because my quads hurt so much!

That being said you should always have a rest day in the middle, and as long as you are sore from the workout and not in pain because you hurt yourself, working out again the following day will actually help with the soreness.
  • mercury8826
    Options
    Stretching helps a _bunch_ whenever I get sore I just take a minute and try to stretch the sore muscles, if I can. It doesn't make the soreness go away, but it feels good and its good for them.

Also, I think Temperature can help relieve them, but I can remember if its cold or heat that best performs a relieving sensations. =x
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I love my foam roller! It takes a little bit of getting used to the exercises that will give you the best release but it's so worth it once you figure it all out.

Also, lots of water, protein and stretching. And moving! Keep moving. It totally helps!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I do 25 minutes of yoga at home the morning after I lift. It really helps with DOMS and gets me moving. I also do better if I just suck it up and work out, whether I'm sore or not.

I am pretty much sore every day on this plan and am just used to it now. I kind of like it, because it reminds me how hard I'm working to change my body.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't use painkillers unless the aches are keeping me up at night-- only to get some sleep. I figure my body has enough work to do healing without me throwing some confusion on it.

As a result, my coworkers see me shuffling around the office and holler at me to get some coffee.

I have heard that alternating hot-cold showers helps.

Also for the most part, it gets better! I'm in stage 4 and I can't remember the last time I had to skip a workout.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! I waited until yesterday to do my Workout B and I feel fantastic today - a bit tight but nothing like this past week. I'm hoping that I'll be fine after I do Workout A again tomorrow.