Adding weight training? Want to reduce BF%.

Options
sydpassin
sydpassin Posts: 3 Member
Hi. I'm 43yo and 5'1 - 123lbs. My goal is 115 which is a good weight for me. I'm thinking of adding weight training to my usual
Program of (sometimes) running, cardio pilates and kickboxing. I've been slacking off this month and my restart date is August 29th when the kids are back in school.
So, has anyone had luck with lifting weights? I've generally been using my own body weight.
Thanks!
-Sydney

Replies

• cdmyers6
    cdmyers6 Posts: 10
    Options
    I would definitely recommend adding weights!!! Weight training should be a component to any exercise regime. Adding weights will help build up your muscles and turn your body into a calorie burning machine!! =D And TRUST ME, there is not a chance that you will bulk up like some women are afraid of. Even for women who are trying to bulk up for whatever reason, it takes *extreme* dedication to get to that level since we don't have high amounts of testosterone like men do. So go for it girl!
  • Hssh1988
    Hssh1988 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend adding weights!!! Weight training should be a component to any exercise regime. Adding weights will help build up your muscles and turn your body into a calorie burning machine!! =D And TRUST ME, there is not a chance that you will bulk up like some women are afraid of. Even for women who are trying to bulk up for whatever reason, it takes *extreme* dedication to get to that level since we don't have high amounts of testosterone like men do. So go for it girl!

What can I do with a resistance band at home (preferably in less than 20 mins!)
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Weights are the key to success if you ask me. I was skinny fat for a long time, mostly just focusing on cardio and diet. No matter how hard I ran I still looked flabby in my belly and arms, now that I do weights 2-3 days a week I look toned! Weights are where it's at. Plus I feel like a badass when I can lift things without asking a man for help
  • bear_28
    bear_28 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am also planning to include weights in my exercise. For those that are currently doing lifting, what is your exercise routine like? How did you ease into it? Hope to get some advice as well. Thanks =)
  • JeNaKizz
    JeNaKizz Posts: 19
    Options
    I use 5lbs then switch to 8lbs dumbells, just depending on what exercises you do. I've noticed a lil toning on my arms but not so defined since I only started being serious about it for a month.
  • 13inchestogo
    13inchestogo Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Weights FOR SURE!!! Without lifting your muscle doesnt grow and without muscle your fat isnt getting destroyed (my theory anyways... I think there is some truth to it lol)

You can lift fairly light if you feel comfortable with that at first, but lifting heavy (for your body, and while still keeping it safe!! :smile: ) is the way to go if you want to grow muscle! Don't forget protein :happy:
  • mcgrath18
    Options
    Weights are definately the way to go, although muscle weighs more than fat, muscle takes up less space than fat, so be sure to measure yourself, dont just rely on the scales to see your results.:smile:
  • ickybubble
    ickybubble Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzyCtzAF8F0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQIpbyQxBck

Here are just a couple of examples of resistance band workouts. I do resistance training and its great, if you want to build real strength like for example push ups and pull ups ( having a good body:strength ratio) and not big bulky muscles that just slow you down, then resistance training is what your after. You only use your own body weight to work out, free runners and gymnast have great body:strength ratio and thats the type of strength you will achieve if you keep at it and progress! You can find pretty much anything on youtube!
    This is also a great channel for toning up and building strength, these are my saviours!! check them out!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/charliejames1975/videos