This Has Stopped My Binges - will you do it with me?

Options
Hi! I just joined my fitness pal and love the community support. Your stories are all so inspiring - thank you!

I struggled with BED and emotional eating for years (at least 10). Over the last 3 years or so I really changed my habits and have noticed drastic changes with my weight and my life. It takes so commitment but this exercise helps SO much. Would any of you all like to join me? I try to do this every day, and when I was consistent it changed my life!! It give me peace, comfort, control, and inspiration over food and life!

I notice one of the most important things with breaking through binge eating is interrupting the pattern and this really helps!!

Steps...

1) Get a 3 Subject Note Book

2) First Section: Vision Board - take the first few pages and cut out inspiring words and images from magazine, off line etc - things you want for your life, then paste them in your journal!! It doesn't need to to be pics of super fit girls or about weight loss, , sometimes that makes people binge worse, think more along the lines of a happy girl eating healthy - think places you want to go, inspiring poems, things you want for yourself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually - the only rule is is has to make you feel good when you look at it! It can't make you feel bad or inferior or it isn't going to help - collect things overtime for your journal - it will be like your arsenal of positivity :)

3) Second Section: Mind Dump - Any time you feel a binge coming on write about it, what caused it? how do you feel? why do you feel that way? then just write - write it out as if you have to get every last thought out of your head - awareness is the first key to stopping a binge

4) Third Section: Affirmations and gratitude. Before you binge commit to write out 10 things you are thankful for and 10 things you love about yourself or want for yourself. the key with affirmations and gratitude is to say it like you have it.
Don't say "I want to eat healthy and not think about food all the time"
Say: Thank you for giving me the ability to want to eat healthy and love nourishing food.
or
"I am strong and have power power over my food choices:

The affirmations don't always have to be about food. It could simply be "I love my life!"
You want to truly make yourself believe what you are saying - this reprograms the mind

5) Ok so these are the steps... If you feel a binge, commit to your journal first.... Mind Dump, then write out the gratitude and affirmations, then look at all the feel good things in the front of your journal as if you're actually there! Really empower yourself!

Most times, just interrupting the binge pattern and writing about it in the mind dump alone is going to stop the urge. If for some reason you end up bingeing, thats ok! It's going to happen every now and then, but remember - awareness is key - so, when you are bingeing think "I am bingeing" and write about the experience after - how you feel etc

Being a detective to your own thoughts, patterns, and habits are critical to beating binge eating!! and then replacing the negative patterns with something positive like the journal really helps.

I know this seems like a lot of work but its easy once you build the habit and will help you stop binge eating, lose weight, and keep it off.

Good luck - please let me know how it goes! I've been slacking on my journal but I am starting a new one this weekend! Who is with me?? Together we can do this!!!

Love, Brittany

Replies

• All4Norma
    All4Norma Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am so trying this! I've tried so many things to stop the binges but none have worked thus far. Might as well give this a try. Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • chasingfreedom
    Options
    I really appreciate this suggestion! I have seen two different therapists for brief periods about my ED and they suggested similar things but I never felt like I had time to do it because I was in school. Now I am committed to making time, so I'll let you know how it goes!
  • winterdancer
    Options
    I will be glad to jump on the band wagon with you. perhaps this will help me. feel free to add me to your friends also.
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Steps...

1) Get a 3 Subject Note Book

2) First Section: Vision Board - take the first few pages and cut out inspiring words and images from magazine, off line etc - things you want for your life, then paste them in your journal!! It doesn't need to to be pics of super fit girls or about weight loss, , sometimes that makes people binge worse, think more along the lines of a happy girl eating healthy - think places you want to go, inspiring poems, things you want for yourself physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually - the only rule is is has to make you feel good when you look at it! It can't make you feel bad or inferior or it isn't going to help - collect things overtime for your journal - it will be like your arsenal of positivity :)

3) Second Section: Mind Dump - Any time you feel a binge coming on write about it, what caused it? how do you feel? why do you feel that way? then just write - write it out as if you have to get every last thought out of your head - awareness is the first key to stopping a binge

4) Third Section: Affirmations and gratitude. Before you binge commit to write out 10 things you are thankful for and 10 things you love about yourself or want for yourself. the key with affirmations and gratitude is to say it like you have it.
    Don't say "I want to eat healthy and not think about food all the time"
    Say: Thank you for giving me the ability to want to eat healthy and love nourishing food.
    or
    "I am strong and have power power over my food choices:

The affirmations don't always have to be about food. It could simply be "I love my life!"
    You want to truly make yourself believe what you are saying - this reprograms the mind

5) Ok so these are the steps... If you feel a binge, commit to your journal first.... Mind Dump, then write out the gratitude and affirmations, then look at all the feel good things in the front of your journal as if you're actually there! Really empower yourself!

Most times, just interrupting the binge pattern and writing about it in the mind dump alone is going to stop the urge. If for some reason you end up bingeing, thats ok! It's going to happen every now and then, but remember - awareness is key - so, when you are bingeing think "I am bingeing" and write about the experience after - how you feel etc

Being a detective to your own thoughts, patterns, and habits are critical to beating binge eating!! and then replacing the negative patterns with something positive like the journal really helps.

I'm doing it. Thanks..
  • winterdancer
    Options
    I told one of my friends also about this. She wants to do it with me also
  • MissKane8064
    Options
    Love it:smile:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Nice!!
  • ulionk
    Options
    This is great! I'm going to set up my notebook today!
  • calewis23
    calewis23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love this idea. I'm definitely going to start this today. I find that when I have things to do that let out my creativity I do better in fighting against the binge. I'm sure this will be one of those things. Thanks so much for posting this!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!! I just need to scan through the forums when I'm triggered to binge
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Brittany. I'm going to give it a go. :)
  • Lisarky
    Lisarky Posts: 15
    Options
    trying it! Thanks!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! Thanks for the tips!
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Definitely going to go buy a 3-subject notebook this afternoon. I have from 8:50 AM - 3:30 PM to avoid bingeing so it's the perfect time to go start this little love yourself project. :)
  • princessbgirl
    Options
    can't hurt to try it - I like that there is a focus on the positive
  • primrosehill
    primrosehill Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I soooo love this! Shall we start a little 'journaling' group? Sticking together and hearing other people's tales might help? Let me know if you're up for it anyone and if we have a few people I'll try to work out how to start a group forum
    xxx
  • 47jvt
    47jvt Posts: 3
    Options
    I, too, have just joined and would like to be your friend. I binged the first two days, but have slacked off since. Good luck to us. :flowerforyou:
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Wow, this seems like the perfect plan for me, I need specific steps written out like this! Here goes nothing. We can do this : )
  • McShell12
    McShell12 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I just joined this group and found your post. I am SO going to try this. Thanks!!!!!!!!
  • moppet85
    moppet85 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea! It puts space and time between the urge to binge and the binge itself, which gives you the chance to avoid bingeing. Exactly what I need, I'm doing it. Thank you!

I'd also love to join any discussion groups that are set up because I really 1need the support.

Good luck to all!