Introductions? :)

Options

Replies

• inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I'm 25, 5'9.25"-5'10" and 200-203 lbs. This time last year I was about 184 pounds. I started a full-time graduate program last year and stopped my only form of regular exercise (waiting tables) which I credit with helping the weight gain.

So, someone already mentioned it, but though I've had skinny periods in my life (notably, when I met my husband) and chunkie periods, I've never been happy with my body and always thought I could afford to weigh 10 pounds less, even when I weighed 140 pounds (which made my large frame look skeletal). It's this damn apple shape!

I've also got a short torso and a lot of back fat, which I *loathe* - pears gain weight on their hips/saddlebags, but I gain weight on my back and belly. How the hell? The only way I can think to eradicate the back fat is to decrease my body fat percentage. So I need to start doing that.

I've been eating like crap lately because its the last month of the semester, finals are quickly approaching, and when that happens I usually just try to maintain my weight rather than actively lose weight because I don't want to bother with any extra work, if I can help it.

However, tomorrow (maybe even today, it depends on my schedule) I plan to start the 30 Day Shred again. My goal is to lose about 30 pounds more (I've already lost 12 on MFP) but mostly just focus on strength training and a little bit of cardio and EATING HEALTHY AGAIN.

I can't think of what else, but I'm glad we have this group!
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oooo, look at these new introductions! Its fantastic to see so many apples joining the group and sharing their stories.

Stephanie, I keep reading about great results with JM 30 day shred but I have yet to make it through even the first workout. I am soooo out of shape. I really need to try it again because I love the results others are getting. Do you like the program?

Noël, yay for your first post to a group! Your dedication and determination is inspirational. Are you enjoying the classes you are taking at the gym? I sometimes wish I had a gym membership, but then I realize that I would probably not go because the nearest one is 15 miles away. If it isn't convenient, I won't do it.

Inlander, I love your realistic approach to this -- " but mostly just focus on strength training and a little bit of cardio and EATING HEALTHY AGAIN. " That's what I want, too. And to be a runner.

Here's to all of us achieving out goals! :drinker:
  • andy2486
    andy2486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!!! I'm Andrea, 25, 5'5" from the Portland Metro area (born and raised in Southern California, about an hour north of San Diego and 45 minutes east of Disneyland). Starting weight was 232, heaviest ever. Decided enough was enough when I saw a picture of myself last year at a softball game I was playing in. Went on Medifast and actually stuck to it for over a month (surprised even myself) and lost 17 pounds, shrunk my stomach and learned how to not only pay attention to what I was eating but also how to think about it first AND I learned portion control for the first time ever. Been watching my calories and working out as much as possible since September and in total I have lost 40 pounds! This is a record for me. About 5 years ago, I lost 20 pounds in about 2 months. But I wasn't eating healthy (ate fast food for lunch and that was it all day) and working out every night. Got to 202 and couldn't get any farther, then gained it all back plus some over the years. I have been the "chunky" one of my friends for as far back as I can remember and now they are jealous of me! :happy: Besides the want of being healthy and feeling better about myself, I also wanted to get healthier to start having children. I told my husband "I want to be cute pregnant, not fat pregnant." I am so happy that he has seen me at my heaviest and is honestly happy with me as a person and is supportive in any direction that I go with this journey. :blushing: My goal weight is around 170 and I would be happy with that, toned of course. But if I feel I could keep going, 160 or even 150 would make me ecstatic!

Now a little about the rest of my life: I am a warranty manager at my local RV dealership. I get authorizations on service work that needs to be done. I started out as the receptionist, went to sales for a week, then went to warranty. I am definately a people person but sales just wasn't for me. I married my hubby on September 19th, 2010 and we just bought our first house last week. We have an awesomely cute Sheltie named Toby and I hope to get him a friend in the next couple months. I enjoy sunshine (rare in the Portland area most of the year) since I come from So Cal and I miss the real beach terribly. I have my BS in Criminal Justice Administration and my goal is to be a Crime Scene Investigator. The requirements are different up here than in CA so I will need to get a science degree, probably Biology, to be a CSI. I am also considering getting my masters in Nursing at Portland State to be a Forensic Nurse. Money and time is the contributing factor in this decision. :ohwell:

I look forward to "meeting" you all. Add me if you wish. :wink:
  • curvacious85
    Options
    To be honest I hated the classes at first, mostly because I was so out of shape I couldn't/didn't want to do them! Now I LOOOOVE them and make sure I go as often as I can! I even passed up a free Texas Rangers game because I didn't want to miss Step class! =)
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Apples,

My name is Jayme, I'm a 33 year old mother (5'8)of 3 kiddos. I have always known I was an apple (thanks mom), and I'm always reading articles on how to work out for your shape, etc. I stummbled on a thread for before/after pics for apple shape and found this group. I'm really excited to hear from other women who are dealing with the same issues. I love the jeans thread. I thought it was just my funky shape that made it hard to find a pair of jeans that fit right. I am going to check out the ones suggested ;)

A little background...I've always been heavy, even as a child. After I had my last baby I hit 290 lbs., and I was miserable. I joined WW with my best friend and we both peeled off the pounds. After a year of hard work I was able to get within 10 lbs of my goal weight and began to get comfortable. This is when the yo-yoing started. Over the past 3 years I have gone from 205 to 169, it needs to stop. There is no magic number for me, I just want to be happy with my body. I've been using MFP since last summer and have lost 24 lbs., I run quite a bit, and watch what I eat. But the weight is coming off very slowly, which is good but I think it has to do with the yo-yoing I have been doing the last few years.

Anyway, thanks for creating this group. I'm excited to get to know you all ;)
    Jayme
  • mdorisi
    mdorisi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :) My name is Melissa and I am an apple. lol it's a pain in the *kitten* to lose weight in my tummy. Oddly enough I'm starting to whittle it down but it's still hard! Finding a wedding dress was the hardest thing ever but I did and though it fits I'm really just trying to slim down as much as possible for the big day which is June 23 of this year. I'm looking for other apple friends so feel free to add me. you can never have enough friends in the same boat as you! (unless it's a real boat then you might be screwed...)
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa! Welcome!! :)
  • sunrise84
    sunrise84 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My name is Velma. I'm 27 and have been a juicy apple all my life, lol. I started this thing in May 2011 at 289.9 lbs. Today I weigh 255.6. I was around 240, then life showed up and showed out. I was a VERY TIGHT 24W when I started, and am now a comfy 18/20W. I want to lose more weight and will do my best.
  • xsaribarix
    xsaribarix Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hmm… where to start…

Well, I'm Sara (AKA Sari), I just turned 30 in April and I'm 4'9'' and 152 lbs. I guess it's pretty safe to say that I'm apple shaped because my measurements are 41-42-43 haha. More like keg shaped but anyway it's so nice to see there is a community for people like me and that not everyone has an itty bitty waist and va-va-voom hips and boobs (a la Jessica Rabbit).

Ahem…so I was not as noticeably apple shaped for most for eighth through eleventh grade when at the same height I am today, I had maintained a svelte size 4 figure at 95 lbs. However, I began to develop a nasty habit of stress eating in my final years of high school (that would plague me to this day.) and at my Senior Ball at age 18 and 4'9'' I was 109 lbs. Still in the healthy range right? Until 114?

Well I my Freshman year of college the following fall I was weighed down with a heavy courseload and the other students were mean to me because it was a private Catholic school and I was "out there" in how I dressed and acted, and so I went back to the stress eating and gained a whopping thirty pounds between late August and Halloween! So tipping the scales at nearly 140 lbs. at a mere 4'9'' going from a size 9 to a size 16 in a matter of a couple of months, I had become obese even before Thanksgiving and the big Holiday Eat-A-Thon was to ensue!

Desperate to lose weight, I began to cut out meat from my diet and ate more salads. I walked more, and by the spring of my sophomore year got down to 125 lbs. But I was still higher than I wanted to be; still overweight. In fact, back in my freshman year of high school when I was 95 lbs. I had had a nightmare that I binged on bacon and shot up to 125 lbs. That was it. I had enough. I asked my doctor for Adderrall (sp) and by the fall of my junior year in college had gotten down to 115-110ish. I was a size 5. But I was manic. I was impulsive. And it was in this impulsive mania that I vandalized university property (I transferred to a public university in my sophomore year) and with the stipulation that my oh-so-handy father repair the damaged property I was not fined, mercifully. Well, needless to say that was goodbye Adderall and hello regain of all my lost weight haha.

I maintained 120-125ish until January 2008 when I ballooned up to 140, 1 pound higher but that much more intolerable than my highest weight in the fall of 2000. When I had to go to an formal event in what basically amounted to sweatpants and a babydoll top I knew something had to give. I had been vegetarian for a year at that point, but was addicted to cheese. I vowed to go vegan, and with the switch-off from Risperdal (a medication I was taking at the time) to Invega (supposed to make you gain less weight than Risperdal) I was well on my way to a weight of 109 by summer of 2009. My high school graduation weight! Yay! However, my joy was to be short-lived. For my vegan diet was poorly planned, and instead of salads, I ate french fries, bread, popsicles, and cheeseless pizza (albeit with veggies) most of the time. My health plummeted, while my weight skyrocketed.

I gained 40 lbs. as a "vegan" haha. And I continued to gain from stess/night eating until my weight reached 157 at 4'9''. That is when I pleaded with my baby brother three years my junior who lost 35 lbs. in 10 months for help. He opened me up into the world of MFP and I'm so glad he did. Before I would eat something without weighing or measuring or counting calories, trying to eat "intuitively" Nuh-uh. Nah. Can't do it. I will OVER-do it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

But I know that about myself. I didn't back when I was making myself sick with the Adderrall and crazy diets trying to cheat reality. The secret to weight loss, I believe, is balance, in nutrients, in exercise, and finding balance in your life which means: taking time to smell the roses and carving out private alone time to de-stress or do something you enjoy, even if it's a little silly haha :P

Well anyway just my little story I know I'm not perfect with everything and I don't always practice what I preach but anyhow I m a work in progress and I don't aim for perfection just to do a little better each day. So there's my little affirmation, every day I do a little better, every day getting better and better, yes I know I am, I'll get there, eventually, one way or another, I know I can do it!

x sari
  • BeachSlim
    BeachSlim Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I believe I am a true apple shape as I hold all my weight around my middle (see picture in my profile taken on Thursday 6/21/12). I am a 27 year old secondary school (age 11-16) Science Teacher from England. I have been married for almost 3 years and have a little boy who is 18 months old.

I was always skinny, but with a little belly of course, up until I hit 18 when I had my first serious relationship. We were both in a sea cadet group and marching band. I used to have dinner and go to cadets at 7pm then stay over his for the night. His family didn't eat dinner until after cadets and it was usually take away so I would end up eating with them too so of course I piled on the pounds.

When we broke up after a year, I lost all the weight and got back down to a UK size 8 (US 4?). I met my husband 7 years ago and have slowly piled the weight on again getting to my biggest at 152 pounds. I have my son in December 2010 and didn't put on any weight during pregnancy so that isn't even an excuse!

So, since January 2012 I have lost 11 pounds and could have lost more but I keep 'falling off the wagon'. I have created a new profile to get myself remotivated as I hate seeing the little graph on the IPhone app increase. I weighed in on Monday at 141 pounds and hope to get down to 112 pounds (I am 5' 1").

I hope to see more activity on this group as I think us Apples need to motivate eachother!

Sarah xx
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, I'm so happy to have found this group.
    I'm 26, no children or husband and I am an apple to the core.

I've been obese since I was 11, I have diabetes, heart disease, high triglycerides, which caused pancreantitis, and PCOS. I reached my highest weight in high school, a daunting 375 pounds. Since then I've lost about 125 pounds so far and I'm no where near done yet. Current weight is 254, goal weight is 170, as I'm 5'10".

I am a size 18/20 pants, and I am a size 3x in shirts because there's nothing on my hips, it's all trying to encase my organs. :( This group is wonderful, because with our body type, we gain the most dangerous weight.

Because I didn't really do anything for five years, when I started getting stressed from the wonderful world of being an adult, my heart has actually turned sideways in my chest. I didn't know that was possible. Then last week I had a mild heart attack, and I've been going to the gym everyday since. I'm not on any fad diets, but I've been logging everyday. :)

I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Welcome, TinGirl! Wow - some scary stuff you've had going on with your health. I didnt know the heart could do that either... I wish you a lot of success!
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
    Yah apparently being a high stress person (I cry...all the time o.x) and having an unhealthy diet will do some freaky dink things!

I'm just glad to be alive. :)
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi Apples! :smile:

I'm a little apple - i;m just 5ft. i was once told by a seamtress that i have a very short waist but now realise that i am an apple shape!

even at my lightest weight and when i was very active, i had weight around my tummy. i have NEVER had a flat tummy. i also have back fat which i abhor.

Ilm quite close to my goal weight but my tummy never seems to decrease.

Looking for some inspiration and story sharing! :)

oh and i hate the gym. i have a treadmill at home and am really keen to do strength training - just not sure where to start. have begun with planks, squats and walking with light weights :D

:flowerforyou:
  • Jessjs100
    Jessjs100 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am Jessica. I am 29. I am about 5"2-5"3 in a size 10. I need to lose inches around my waist. My stomach is extremely pudgy and I don't want love handles. My goal is 125. I'm excited!
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Cindy from Ohio. Apple shape gal. Most of my weight is in the gut and face. I need to lose 40 lbs or so to get to my goal weight....or what Im aiming for at the moment. I guess I will know my goal after I get to that point. Im currently 204 and I got down to 165 about 3 years ago doing hcg. Well guess what, I gained it back once I stopped starving myself!

I tend to go in phases. Im great at dieting and sticking to healthy eating for months and then boom....fall off the wagon...hard! Ive gained and lost countless times over the years. I have done hcg, Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach....and all worked....for awhile... until I lost my focus and started eating out of control.

So Im back doing MFP and trying to find a healthy way to eat the rest of my life. Lets face it diets work....only while you are on the "diet". If you don't learn to make lifestyle changes you go back to your old life. Im tired of that vicious cycle. Hope to meet some other apples here for support!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome, Cindy! Good luck with your lifestyle changes - I think you're on the right track with that.
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh!! Other apples!! My family is full of hourglasses but I'm trailing behind being this dense apple (thanks college. Grrrr). But that's okay... til I lose weight that is :)

My name's Jennifer. I just turned 21 this past summer (joined before I did). I've been studying nutrition and weight loss ever since I came into college (tried preventing gaining the 40/50 pounds I did; I just needed to lose 10!!)... to the point where I wonder why I didn't major in it. I'm studying Engineering, which has me sitting down a lot. I'm hopefully graduating this May, and I'd like to finally look my best at Commencement! :)

So here I am! I've been trying to lie and not put some things on MFP... but that'd only be hurting myself and I'm done with that. So it's all or nothing! =X (too much sugar to my body's liking)
  • sandygettingfit
    sandygettingfit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yay! Other apples!

My name is Sandy and I'm 47. I didn't know I was an apple until my 40's :( I was always thin. I weighed 115 lbs. until I had my son in 1993. I was also in the Army so running was a big part of my life.

Fastword, out of the Army and in a desk job the last 15 years. I was at my highest weight last year 186 lbs, but no one noticed because I'm tall 5'6". I carried the weight very well. I managed to get down to 140 lbs, but gained some of it back after some health issues. After two surgeries, I started again at 164 and now I'm down to 149. My goal for now is to get to 140. Right now I'm in between a size 8 and 10. 10 is too big, 8 is too tight.

I began working out in earnest this August and my biggest goal is to flatten my tummy and get nice looking toned arms. I'm doing this by working out to Jillian Michaels' DVDs and running. I'm even thinking about skiing again this winter. As I get stronger, I'm enjoying working out more and more. Now I wonder why I didn't focus so much on fitness when I was younger. It could be that I'm finally an empty nester and have more time for myself :)

I'm glad to have a sounding board for advice and venting.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!

Thanks to my wonderful father, I am an apple (my mom is stick thin no matter what she does, obviously didn't get my body from her! lol), and have always gained weight in my mid-section before anywhere else. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

I am trying to lose another 15 pounds or so, but that number isn't set in stone. I've been adding strength training into my workout routine, and I realize that adding muscle plays with the scale. I don't hate the way I look, but I'd like to get better/faster/stronger and stay healthy. And get rid of my gut. :blushing: