Autoimmune clusters?

Options
blueimp
blueimp Posts: 230 Member
As I move further into researching diabetes and thyroid disease, endocrinology as a science, and my personality and family history, I have to wonder if autoimmune diseases cluster. By that, I wonder, if you have had for a long time, an autoimmune digestive disease ( or syndrome) or the possibility of one, would that make you more likely to develop other things like diabetes, thyroid, rumatoid arthritis ... and so on? Since my research is new and time-limited, I'm wondering I anyone who has done research in this area has any insights or thoughts to contribute. If so, please post or message me. Thanks.

Replies

• madivp
    madivp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I will stay tuned for more updates, interesting subject.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wonder that too..was dx with diabetes and RA nearly at same time. Now wondering about my thyroid..my hair is falling out!
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have read that this is true. Sorry but I don't remember where. Try googling it!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Boy, you are way more sirebrial . . . sarebral . . . cerebral - smarter than I am!
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have actually heard that too but have never really researched it. I was diagnosed with under active thyroid at 12 but no hashimoto antibodies present. My levels have really fluctuated over the years. Current endo thinks it's possible I actually have Graves and I'm just swinging all over the place.

I was diagnosed T2 at 34 only because I made my dr. test me due to being gestational diabetes both pregnancies. Otherwise they wouldn't have tested given my age, weight, and activity level.

RA runs in my family but it has not made an appearance in me yet.

It does seem a lot of T2s, especially women, also have hypothyroid.