Diaper, wipes, and formula points programs...

Options
VelociMama
VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
Hubs and I decided to sign up for Pampers points program and start buying things like diapers and wipes when they come on sale or via coupons. We're hoping to have a stockpile once the baby is born of diapers and wipes bought at a lower price to save some cash in the long run. The points program allows us to qualify for more free stuff and coupons as well.

My question is how much of each size of diapers should we budget for?

We'll probably start doing this with formula also, but it seems formula doesn't go on sale often, and coupons are hard to come by. Any links for coupons for Similac would be awesome if you know of them.

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Check first and make sure that those items can be returned before you buy them! Some places will not let you return or exchange formula or diapers (this is the case where I live.) Some babies are sensitive/allergic to some kinds of formula and diapers, and you wouldn't want to have a whle bunch of something that you couldn't use.

Other than that, I'm afaid I'm no help on how much you would need. :blushing: (We breastfeed and use cloth.)
  • VelociMama
    Options
    Check first and make sure that those items can be returned before you buy them! Some places will not let you return or exchange formula or diapers (this is the case where I live.) Some babies are sensitive/allergic to some kinds of formula and diapers, and you wouldn't want to have a whle bunch of something that you couldn't use.

Other than that, I'm afaid I'm no help on how much you would need. :blushing: (We breastfeed and use cloth.)

We've been buying the senstitive wipes and diapers (fragrance free). We are just on a tight budget so I'm trying to find ways to cut some costs down.

Unfortunately, breastfeeding isn't much of an option for us. I have to go back on my heart meds after the baby comes which can contaminate breastmilk, and I have to go back to working full time as well.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

We've been buying the senstitive wipes and diapers (fragrance free). We are just on a tight budget so I'm trying to find ways to cut some costs down.

Unfortunately, breastfeeding isn't much of an option for us. I have to go back on my heart meds after the baby comes which can contaminate breastmilk, and I have to go back to working full time as well.
    IKWYM. Gas and groceries are killing us right now. :ohwell: I'm all about buying ahead when you can get things cheaper! I just wanted to mention this because I've had one who needed special formula for reflux and one who broke out wearing disposables (we didn't switch to cloth until the 3rd child).
    But it's been so long ago, I can't remember how much of those things we used.

When are you due?
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I'm due in February. I'm just buying 1 pack per week just to stock up while we can.

I just don't want all the cost to hit us all at once if possible.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    We've been stocking up as well, but we chose to get giftcards instead of buying actual diapers/wipes. So, every time I go to target or walmart, I get a $10-25 giftcard to put aside for diapers/wipes. That wouldn't help with the points program, though!
  • keyalus
    keyalus Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who suggested knowing the return policy in advance. I loved Pampers for my son as a newborn but once he graduated from Swaddlers, the next kind didn't fit him as well and leaked. After ruining a bunch of onesies with blowouts, I got so fed up. We ended up having better luck with Huggies and I'm thankful I didn't have 30 boxes of Pampers sitting around!

If you have or can get a Costco membership, they really do have the best prices on formula. You get a bigger container of formula for a better price. We used Similac and signed up for their program (check the website). They sent us $5 off coupons nearly every month and Costco accepted them.

But again, I wouldn't stockpile anything not returnable until I was sure it worked for my baby. I really like the gift card idea suggested by another poster.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    With my son we stayed away from buying a lot of newborn and size one because he grew out of them in no time I think he used newborn diapers for one week and then we were in Level 1. I also agree you never know about diapers we tried every brand and decided we liked Luvs the best. As for formula my pediatrician told me not to buy Similac or Enfamil since we didn't qualify for the WIC program he told us to buy Parent's Choice (Walmart brand). For the large container it was $12.99 (back in 2003-2004 but really do not think it is much higher now). They have the Soy formula as well in case baby is allergic. I wouldn't stock pile on formula because you never know what your baby may be sensitive to. A lot of it is trial and error. The gift card route is the best idea I can think of by Feb. you could have hundreds of dollars to use towards it.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion...for my baby shower I'm doing an entry to a door prize for people that bring a pack of diapers. I'm hoping this will help, one of my friends suggested it!
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    With my son we stayed away from buying a lot of newborn and size one because he grew out of them in no time I think he used newborn diapers for one week and then we were in Level 1.

I agree with the above- we didn't use much newborn before we were in size 1. Last time around, someone threw us a diaper/wipes shower so we were set til like month 7. This time around, I've been trying to stock up on my own but haven't been doing a very good job:) Only have about 3 packages.

FYI- A lot of formulas will send free samples- so go to their websites and sign up for whatever you need so you can at least get some free samples. I'm not a Sam's Club member- but I heard they have HUGE cases for pretty cheap. So if you know anyone who is a member, see if they can buy it for you and you pay em back. Also, Walmart will accept returned diapers without a receipt if you just want to exchange for other diapers- that def will come in handy:)

GOOD LUCK!
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    We are also starting to buy diapers... We aren't buying too many nb or size 1 though, just a couple since I don't want to have too many and we can't use them... We are mostly getting 2 and 3 and probably a couple 4 too!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I have a suggestion...for my baby shower I'm doing an entry to a door prize for people that bring a pack of diapers. I'm hoping this will help, one of my friends suggested it!

That would be great. I think we have mostly our bigger ticket items on the baby registry, but I like the idea of a "diaper cover charge."
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    They stay in 2's and 3's longer than in newborn. And mine staying in 4's longer than they did 2&3's combined. But 4's doesnt really come until the end of the 1st yr so you have some time to work on stocking those.
  • bonzombie
    Options
    just a tip! Enfamil is identical to the target formula nutritionally and target is about half the price. our little guy had no problems switching between the too if I got a free case of enfamil or a coupon that made it cheaper than the target/walmart brand.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    just a tip! Enfamil is identical to the target formula nutritionally and target is about half the price. our little guy had no problems switching between the too if I got a free case of enfamil or a coupon that made it cheaper than the target/walmart brand.

I have also been told by a friend that her pediatrician recommended Target formula.. Definitely going to check it out!
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of gift cards!! We're going to cloth diaper and breast feed (as long as that works out) so I've been buying cloth diapers slowly since we found out, with the same "don't want to have to pay a lot right at one time" thought. Everything I've read agrees with not too much newborn size, but of course some. We've received free similac in the mail, 2 12.6oz containers plus coupons and a bottle (google search shows that at about a $50 value, plus the coupons. No idea why we got them, they were sent to my mom, wish I could share how that happened!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    If anybody is interested in home-made wipes, here is a recipe my friend used for both of her kids (one of them has quite sensitive skin).

Baby Wipes:

Paper Towels
    2 cups water
    2 tsp liquid castile soap
    1 Tbsp sweet almond oil
    3 drops essential oil (lavender is nice, don't use peppermint!)
    Container for storage

*Mix water, oils and soap then pour into container. Add paper towel and keep sealed for freshness

Tips:

*Rubermaid has a 4.5L container that is a good size for storing the wipes
    *Do NOT use cheap paper towels! Bounty is good.
    *Liquid castile soap can be found at the grocery store in the natural/organic section. Most common (in Canada) is Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap. There is also "Peace Soap" by Kiss My Face.

When my friend was telling me about these wipes, she said she either gets the select-a-size paper towels, or if she gets the regular ones, she cuts the roll in half to make smaller wipes.

**TMI warning** My reason for wanting to try home made wipes (and we will also give cloth diapering a shot) is because I had a really bad case of the stomach flu a few years ago, and I asked DH to pick up baby wipes for me because my bum hurt too much to keep using TP. Even though he purchased "sensitive" wipes, my skin did not like them. I figure if my adult bum can't handle sensitive wipes, how can a baby's?