Bulk and Cut

Options
cinblog1965
cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
Can someone explain bulk and cut to me?

I mean I get that bulk would be putting on muscle and cut would be cutting back on calories (I think), but exactly what is the procedure? Is that the same as reset and TDEE cut?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Bulking: eating above TDEE to gain mass.
    Cutting: eating below TDEE to lose mass.
  • cinblog1965
    Options
    Thanks, but one more thing: is there a reason that I would want to bulk? Is that to build more muscle? Is it possible to build muscle while cutting?
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Terminology is a b**ch with this.

Bulk - add muscle mass, you get stronger AND they grow in size. You have to eat above TDEEE to really add mass quickly. You will add some fat during this process. How much is up to you.
    cut - you are trying to burn fat and maintain the muscle mass you built during your bulk. You have to eat at a deficit to do this. Below TDEE that is.

Here comes the controversial part of this.

You can get stronger,build muscle mass, and burn fat at the same time. I agree with scooby on this. If you eat at TDEE you can do both. The difference is you won't do either one as fast as using the bulk cut method. You won't see the scale move here. It is inches and even more so looking in the mirror is the best way to see a difference
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but one more thing: is there a reason that I would want to bulk? Is that to build more muscle? Is it possible to build muscle while cutting?

Yes. To build muscle size. I did it. Very happy with the results. For those very new to lifting, obese people and those returning to lifting it IS possible to build muscle size while cutting. You can also easily build muscle strength while cutting due to nervous system adaptations.
  • cinblog1965
    Options
    Thanks rherington! I'm going to zip on over to scooby now and see what his principle is. I do not want to add fat but don't want to lose muscle either. I'd like to gain some muscle, but mostly in my core because I've gotten some back issues since I hit my 40s which has slowed me down quite a bit. I'd like to see the number go down on the scale, but really, if inches disappear, who cares?
  • cafel3
    cafel3 Posts: 89
    Options
    So maybe I can tag my question on to this thread since I've looked and don't see the answer to my exact question anywhere.

How does the metabolism reset work with the bulk/cut/maintenance cycle? Can you give me some examples? After a metabolism reset, should someone go straight into a cut or is it a bulk? How does this work for someone with a lot of weight to lose? Do those with a lot of weight to lose just do cut/maintenance cycles (that's what it sounds like)? TIA.