Pretty Scared...

Options
clur85
clur85 Posts: 187 Member
OK, so I have two months until I go on holiday to Egypt in November. I thought it was time for a new challenge. Finding out that Insanity is a 60 day programme seems perfect! So I started having a sneak peek through the workouts ahead of starting on Monday, and I have to say I am scared, intimidated, reluctant, to do this workout. I need some words of advice, encouragement from those who have done/are doing Insanity and tell me it's not that bad! haha OK it probably IS, but I just need a bit of a pep talk!

In the past I have done all of Jillian Michael's DVD's to death (Shred, Ripped, Shred It, 6w6p, Banish Fat, No More Trouble Zones) and over the past few months have been doing Turbofire, which I love. I know I can push myself on a workout programme but Insanity just seems like a big jump, but it probably is the challenge I need to get to the next level of fitness.

Any advice/words of support much appreciated, anybody have any links to blogs I can follow so I can see other's progress aswell, such a pain that you can't search blogs on MFP.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• geo1437
    geo1437 Posts: 38
    Options
    All i can tell you is that the name of the program is perfect, because these workouts are truly nuts. I am currently finishing up the week 1 of month 2. Now when I started I was out of shape, way out of shaoe as a matter of fact. I'm 5'9 and I weighed 219 lbs. I honestly thought i was going to have a heart attack after the warm up before the very first fit test. I was nervous, i was intimidated, but i pushed all of that fear aside and i went for it. Im still going for it.

Now on the "rest day" i find that i am bored, so do you know what i can do now? i can run 4 miles in 38 minutes. I could not have done that before Insanity. I can sit down and bust out 200 crunches, i couldn't do that 6 weeks ago either. the last time i was on a scale i was down 16lbs. not much, but its something, but i ahave also dropped at least 1 pant size maybe even 2 at this point.

Month 1 was tough, month 2 is torture, but i haven't complained once. as a matter of fact i can tell you that i am actually addicted to these work outs now. I need them, i need to sweat, i need the challenge, my body craves it. I can feel myself getting strionger each and every day.

So my point is this, insanity is fantastic for your body, but i believe it is even better for your mind. Once you conquer the battle of mind over body, you will not be able to be stopped at ANYTHING you do. This program has and still is changing my life for the better. I know i still have a long way to go, and i know that these work out are never going to get any easier no matter how many times i do them. but i WILL be stronger, I WILL be healthier, and I am GONNA get that FRIGGIN Tshirt!

Good luck and have fun!
  • clur85
    Options
    wow, thanks for sharing your experience so far, that is awesome!

I can completely relate to the fact that you crave the sweat, hard work, the challenge. I am like that with Turbofire so I'm sure once I get into it I will get addicted quite quickly.

Thanks also for sharing your stats, I am 5'10 and 169lb but still have alot of fat on my stomach and thighs. I was concerned that Insanity was more for toning up and not getting rid of fat as all the people in the DVD are already super fit and toned, no larger people showing that you don't have to be slender to do this if that makes sense?!
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Insanity's main purpose is cardio, which is perfect for losing weight. As Geo said, it is named perfectly but you just do the best you can and try to improve at each workout. I'm on week 3 of month 1. Last time I tried Insanity, I got through week 2 and quit. So I was going to make damn sure I made it farther than that LOL. Now, I look forward to going home after work and popping in that DVD. It is a great workout, just throw yourself in and do the best you can. That's all Shawn T asks for. :)
  • geo1437
    geo1437 Posts: 38
    Options
    no problem, feel free to hit me up if you ever have a question. I am far from being a fitness guru, but as a fat guy working his way down the scale, i have definetely learned a few things over the past 6-7 weeks. I have made some notes, i have made a few minor adjustments, and i have a very clear plan of attack for when i start my 2nd round of insanity. I'm always more than happy to share.

As for the fat on your thighs...you can kiss that goddbye. My legs are CUT UP!, i mean sculpted, and i haven't even finished my first round yet. My legs have always been strong, always, but they were never this strong or nearly as defined as they are now. i was walking up a flight of stais the other day and a friend of mine actually said " holy s&*t look at your legs" i thouugh i was bleeding or something, but i wasn't. she was commenting on my calves and muscles that were popping with each step i took.

Belly fat...well i had a keg, i still have a pretty hefty pouch, but it is ALOT smaller, and i am starting to see a couple of "bumps" just over the pouch. I call it my two pack. I'm still a long way from a 6 pack but hey its a start!
  • hellotherecupcake
    Options
    You sound way more fit than I was when I started Insanity, so you'll do absolutely fine!

I went from zero to Insanity so I found it difficult, but I don't regret doing it. :-)

Good luck and feel free to add me! I love commenting on people who are going through the Insanity workout. :)
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    All of those JM workouts definitely get you ready for Insanity....I was doing mostly Jillian (30DS, RI30, BFBM) and lots of walking from February to August (when I started Insanity). I found Insanity challenging but not impossible--now I haven't started the second month yet, which everyone says is much more difficult, but still, I do think that JM gave me a solid foundation. So don't be scared! There are certain sequences that are really difficult, but you can do them at your own pace...and even pause the DVD for a breather if you absolutely need to (I've rarely needed to do that and I think that's thanks to Jillian). I haven't done TurboFire, but I imagine that also would be good prep work for Insanity. The biggest difference between Insanity and any other DVD workout I've ever done is the intensity (non stop--Jillian gets intense but then she slows it down with strenth and ab sequences).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say...you have no reason to be scared--just enjoy! It's kind of addicting, really...and Shaun T is much more fun to look at than Jillian ;)
  • clur85
    Options
    That is indeed true, he is much better to look at! ;-) I just don't know if I can handle his "come on y'all" for 60 days haha!
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    ...and Shaun T is much more fun to look at than Jillian ;)

I agree with everything except that part. LOL
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    The "come on y'all" is not annoying me...maybe because you rotate the DVDs and so are not listening to the same exact lines every day...I find it funny when he speaks in the 3rd person..."Shaun T is sweating!" Love it. At the end of pure cardio he says "That sh** is Bananas!" I always laugh at that one...mostly because a) he designed that sh** and b) if he's lying on the floor sweating buckets then I feel pretty good about the work I've just done. I do like Jillian a lot...but her persona can get annoying, especially when she's putting on the bad *kitten* attitude... so far Shaun T. is just funny and motivating and I'm enjoying the workouts very much.
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    I had also done alot of JM's workouts prior to Insanity (ripped in 30, no more trouble zones, body revolution) just to name a few. I am sooo thankful I did those first or I might have actually quit Insanity due to the intensity. Insanity is definately the hardest workout i've ever done but I feel so accomplished after I finish each and every workout. I have never sweated so much during ANY workout in my life. With the said...I LOVE INSANITY!!! I was pretty close to my goal when I started the program with my problem area being right around my belly button. I'm starting week 7 on Sunday and as of today, my arms, back, glutes and legs are sooo toned. My stomach area has really improved and it flat but I (as of yet) don't have the "toned" look yet. I'd say, give it your all, do the best that YOU can do and don't try to keep up with the people in the videos. Trust me, you'll love it!!
  • clur85
    Options
    Thanks so much for all our encouragement and sharing your experiences! I'm raring to go on monday now!
  • ems1583
    ems1583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I finished Insanity around June and I would say I loved it! At first, I didn't know how is it and didn't even take a peek on the vids, I just went for it lol But I got scared for Month 2. Just make sure u always have the correct form coz from 2nd or 3rd week til Day 60 my knees were really hurting bad coz of my form and maybe because of the plyo/jumps. If you're like looking to shed off more pounds, Insanity is good but always go at your own pace. But if you're looking to tone up, maybe find another program, like P90x or Tapout XT. I'm currently doing Tapout and loving it! :) I still do Insanity every weekend or whenever I want a good cardio aside from treadmill and I noticed how my cardio endurance improved from Insanity. Good luck with yours! :D
  • clur85
    Options
    Well, i did it! Day 1, the fit test! i am feeling pretty proud of myself and all my other workouts have definitely contributed to how fit I currently am. The thought of doing something is always worse than the actual doing, but it was still pretty gruesome! One day at a time! :)
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options

So my point is this, insanity is fantastic for your body, but i believe it is even better for your mind. Once you conquer the battle of mind over body, you will not be able to be stopped at ANYTHING you do. This program has and still is changing my life for the better. I know i still have a long way to go, and i know that these work out are never going to get any easier no matter how many times i do them. but i WILL be stronger, I WILL be healthier, and I am GONNA get that FRIGGIN Tshirt!

Good luck and have fun!

Totally agree... It's a great ... no wait AWESOME... program! I want a TShirt tooo! :)
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Before I got started I was freakin out too! I watched some personal videos from people that have done insanity and got some seriously helpful tips from them. The best advice was to take the first week at about 85% and then give it your 100% the next. As you get stronger, it's gets easier and more addictive. I missed a few weeks and just started over today. I actually missed the workouts... not many people can say that :)

With Insanity, expect to sweat your butt off. I have tried and quit many other programs, not once did I sweat anywhere near as Insanity makes me nor have I ever craved a workout like I do Insanity. The everyday a different day thing helps keep it interesting and helps you stick to it. The programs that are the same thing everyday over and over are very easily forgotten.

On that note... GOODLUCK to you! and Enjoy!
  • clur85
    Options
    hi all,
    well i am five days in and I am LOVING it. I think It helped that I have done another beach body workout, Turbofire, where you have a schedule to stick to but it switches it up everyday. I have never sweated so much in a workout before, and I am completely addicted to those exercise endorphines. 5 days down, 55 to go!! :)