i'm confused!

Options
christimw
christimw Posts: 183 Member
it's rare that i meet my 1200 calorie limit. i have to FORCE myself to even get close to it. i've been losing weight just fine, i haven't been hungry, i eat plenty of good meats and vegetables and fats (primal). no grains, so sugar, so soda.. and the weight was coming off nicely. well the other day on here someone said that i needed to always hit my calorie goal, and that if i exercise, i need to eat more until i'm back at 1200. well i've done this the past two days, and i have gained 5 lbs. was this person full of it? because i'm literally OVERSTUFFING (and NOT on junk) myself just to meet 1200. i'm not down on overstuffing myself just to get to 1200 and gaining weight. i'd rather eat until i'm satisfied and feel good, even if it means being 100 or 200 away from my calorie goal and LOSE than eat until i'm painfully full and miserable to meet the calorie goal only to gain back weight, but i don't want to deprive my body either. am i doing something wrong here? is someone trying to sabotage my weight loss?

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I never ate back my calories. If you are eating good food to satiety, and don't have an eating disorder you will be just fine. Ignore mfps recommendations
  • christimw
    Options
    ok. i've never had an eating disorder. some days though i get to 800 or 900 even without any exercises, and fully satisfied on what i've eaten. its usually closer to 1000 or 1100.
  • christimw
    Options
    also, i'm very short with a small frame, i don't know if that has anything to do with it.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" with a medium frame. I am maintaining 110lbs (give or take a few lbs; my weekends can get a little lax!). I can eat more calories without gaining as long as that increase is in fats. Either my metalobolism jumps just a bit or I get hyper and restless and have to start moving. If you feel like maybe you need to take in more calories then just do things like add butter to veggies or eggs or even on top of a steak. Throw some cheese (if you can tolerate it) on top of veggies. Coconut oil is great stuff (so is coconut milk). I'm not a big daytime eater so I have a tendency to keep full fat cans of coconut milk on hand to ensure I am getting enough calories. Add some Now Sports Unflavored Whey Protein and I'm set for the day and can enjoy a nice big dinner. (I can even add some coconut sugar to it for a little sweetness).

You get more nutrition with a Paleo/Primal diet. That makes a big difference. Nutritional intake is a big marker of satiation. You get enough nutrition with your meal and you don't need to eat as many calories - they're a source of energy ONLY and your body will store and take energy as needed. (it takes 4 bowls of oatmeal to get the protein in 4oz of meat). Don't eat when you're not hungry. And if you have gotten good at listening to your body then you don't need to listen to anyone else.

I have found that as long as my carbs stay consistent (protein always between .7-1.0g per lb of LBM) my fat intake can go up and down without the scale following. Instead, my energy level goes up and down. If my carbs go up and stay up then the scale follows either with water gain or fat/water gain depending on the type of carb and the amount of fat I'm eating with those carbs.

Also, I've been wearing a BodyMediaFit Armband for the last year and a half. I see my average calorie burn - it's a pretty accurate estimate and can jump all over the place (I've seen a 900 calorie difference between 2 consecutive days). I don't eat 2000 calories. In fact, what I burn and how many calories I eat seem to have no relation to each other. It's what I put in my mouth.
  • christimw
    Options
    i even added in coconut oil JUST to get closer to 1200. though, i think i was taking too much and having ill effects (3 tbsp a day). i think i'll go back to not worrying about my calorie goal and just eating until i feel satisfied. seemed to work better that way. i was SO stuffed getting back to 1200 yesterday that i could barely move. i didnt' like that!
  • hilary57
    hilary57 Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm no doctor or anything like that ... but I figure that if you feel good, you are fine. Do what is working for you. Your body should tell you if you are not eating enough.

Years ago I used to jog a lot, training for marathons, etc. I belonged to a great group. One day I posted how tired I was feeling a lot of the time and someone suggested I eat more. I followed his advice and it worked.

Bottom line, as long as there are no significant metabolic conditions going on with you ... listen to your body.

We are all unique and there simply is NO one-size-fits-all for diet and exercise (other than the biologic physics behind the concept that to lose weight, one must consume less than what one burns).
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Then you are doing fine. There were days I ate huge and ended up at 1100 calories after exercise. I promise you I didn't burn out my metabolism or burn muscle.
  • msdivine26
    Options
    I'm also struggling with this.

I haven't tracked my food ever before. This week I started Paleo. I'm having a REALLY hard time even getting to 1200 calories - I feel completely full by 5pm and it seems ridiculous to force my self to eat so much more food if I'm not hungry.

The research and forums suggest adding in a couple handfuls of nuts [good fat], fruit [good carbs], veggies [good everything] throughout the day to up the numbers, but it's hard!

It just feels odd I guess to complain 'what do you mean I'm supposed to eat MORE if I want to lose weight?!'.
  • CWatermelon
    CWatermelon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I never ate back my calories. If you are eating good food to satiety, and don't have an eating disorder you will be just fine. Ignore mfps recommendations

This :) I typically eat between 900-1000 and I feel full. Even when I exercise intensely, I do not feel hungrier! I do drink more water or eat protein late at night if I am still hungry, but I try not to eat carbs late at night because they may convert to fat :) You have to do what is right for you and not right for others! One size does not fit all :) Enjoy!