Starting over...again...

Options
scapez
scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
...for what feels like the 7,287th attempt at quitting.

I'm only on Day 2. Wasn't mentally ready to quit (sometimes I feel I am, others not, and I have no idea what governs that) but I know I have to...so. Here I go again.

I'm back on the patch. I like the patch - it keeps others around me alive during the first weeks. :laugh:

Replies

• gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    oh noooo, so sorry to hear that you had to start over. you went a few months recently didnt you? how did the relapse go down?

have you figured out what went wrong before so you can avoid the same pitfalls this time around?

feels like i am gloating to say this even though i know you wont take it that way but today is 5 weeks nicotine free for me
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I went for 3 months last time, and it was a stressful situation that did me in. I've really not given it another serious try until yesterday.

Glad you're doing well - keep at it!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that but glad that you are back at it again. I am sure most of us have tried multiple times before it finally sticks. You sure are right about having to be mentally ready.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I recently relapsed after a few months of being quit too. Then I tried over and over again but like you mentioned, I wasn't mentally ready so every minute I was irritated about it, and I kept finding reasons to "just have one." I'm back on Day 2 but this time I feel ready and DONE (hoping that feeling sticks this time)- unfortunately it was an asthma attack and breathing problems all week that got me back to this point. I used to be able to smoke all day, no problem. It scares me that at 29 I've already done so much damage that even one cigarette triggers an attack. My friend who is a nurse says I sound like someone who has been smoking for 30 years (it's been about 11 years).
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    It was my 7,288th attempt at quitting that I finally said "NO MORE". This coming Tuesday will be my 13th year smoke free. I'm counting down the days that I'm past the # of years that I smoke vs. not smoked, 17 in total. Was I a "real smoker" do you ask?...yes, started out at 1/2 pack as a kid (only 14) and graduated to 1 pack by my early 20's and was a full 2-3 pack a day smoker well into my mid-twenties to late 30's. Yes, I was the best smoker of all of my friends.

Can you do it? YES! YES you can. I tried EVERYTHING!!!! - am I exagerating? NO. (patch, pills, herbal, cold turkey, patch, pills, hynotherapy, cut down, only when I drink, not today, only with coffee)

What worked? Pick a day - cold turkey. Go! No it wasn't easy, yes I gained weight. But today, I'm smoke free, and happy to be so, and I bet you can do it too.
  • jasondcooper
    Options
    What worked? Pick a day - cold turkey. Go! No it wasn't easy, yes I gained weight. But today, I'm smoke free, and happy to be so, and I bet you can do it too.

I went cold turkey as well a little over seven months ago. The first few days sucked and I had a nasty case of "smoker's flu" in the second week but this went away after a couple of days. It got progressively better after that. Sleep has been easier to come by, especially since I'm not drinking now either. I'm not getting tons of sleep but what I am getting is pretty choice.