HELP!! Not enough?

Options
I've been reading a few things here and there that have got me worried, when i set the app up it gave me a daily calorie goals of 1750 now to me i thought that was a lot for someone who wants to lose weight so i dropped it to 1550 but now I've been reading that i could be starving my body of vital calories and that although im losing weight will i struggle to continue losing weight and put it back on? I don't know how they work and i dont have a dietician i just want to make sure im not starving my body before i continue HELP!

Replies

• NatashaRuz
    NatashaRuz Posts: 223
    Options
    Eeee..I'm not sure.
    My recommended calorie intake per day is 1350 to achieve my goal within a few months...but I know that's pretty extreme.

My experience has been that as I've reduced my caloric intake, I've finally seem to have found that 'sweet spot' that allows me to eat enough to feel satisfied, without feeling hungry or 'wanting'. I think that what you eat has a lot to do with how you handle the calories.

If it were me, I'd follow the recommendation of the app, making sure you exercise plenty also, and see how that goes. If you go for a few weeks without losing any weight (and without gaining) then maybe reduce the calories and increase activity a bit, and keep doing that until you find that 'sweet spot'.

No matter what. KEEP TRYING! :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    1550 is ok for a while, if you eat back your exercise calories, if it gets to hard or you plateau up it back and see how it adjusts.
    These are estimates, you'll find your own best level over time.

Give yourself 3-4 weeks with each change and track to see what works. It's a journey.
  • sareyezz23
    Options
    1550 is ok for a while, if you eat back your exercise calories, if it gets to hard or you plateau up it back and see how it adjusts.
    These are estimates, you'll find your own best level over time.

Give yourself 3-4 weeks with each change and track to see what works. It's a journey.

i dont eat back my calories i burn i sometimes go into it if i know im going to be eating more calories than usual thats it though, i mean i dont starve i never feel hungry and im still losing at the moment. when i lost my first 10lbs it gave me a new goal of 1675 so it did lower it for me. I think going for 1750 is high to me, i did at first when i got the app last year and found it really hard to eat that much food as i work a lot and only get 2 breaks where the food is pretty limited find it hard to eat that much without eating the wrong things.

i just dont want it to back fire on me...
  • LesleLu4
    LesleLu4 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... MFP set mine up to around the same as yours, it was over 1500 I know but can't remember exactly. I cut it down to 1400 just because I felt like that was a good number to try for, but if I go over a little I don't stress since I know I would have been allowed more. I am actually under most days, and don't know how I could eat more since I'm never really hungry either.

I also don't eat back my exercise calories most days... I'm worried for the same reasons you are that I don't want to be doing harm, but I am losing so I'm going to stick with what I'm doing unless I stall out losing or something..
  • sareyezz23
    Options
    I'm in the same boat... MFP set mine up to around the same as yours, it was over 1500 I know but can't remember exactly. I cut it down to 1400 just because I felt like that was a good number to try for, but if I go over a little I don't stress since I know I would have been allowed more. I am actually under most days, and don't know how I could eat more since I'm never really hungry either.

I also don't eat back my exercise calories most days... I'm worried for the same reasons you are that I don't want to be doing harm, but I am losing so I'm going to stick with what I'm doing unless I stall out losing or something..

well i just read a post someone put up asking if their calories was too low for their weight and a lot of people are saying the mfp sets it on average and u can adjust to ur liking....some were saying high some were low i think it depends on the person, i mean its only 100 calories less than mfp tells me i can have so im sure its not that bad, 1400 is good too.

Im not sure if were supposed to eat back our calories but to me it sounds silly as whats the point burning it to eat it back again? i do do it if for some reason i eat something like tonight im going out with friends but i worked out this morning so i know i can go over a little.

This whole weight loss thing confuses me :(
  • LesleLu4
    LesleLu4 Posts: 14
    Options
    well i just read a post someone put up asking if their calories was too low for their weight and a lot of people are saying the mfp sets it on average and u can adjust to ur liking....some were saying high some were low i think it depends on the person, i mean its only 100 calories less than mfp tells me i can have so im sure its not that bad, 1400 is good too.

Im not sure if were supposed to eat back our calories but to me it sounds silly as whats the point burning it to eat it back again? i do do it if for some reason i eat something like tonight im going out with friends but i worked out this morning so i know i can go over a little.

This whole weight loss thing confuses me :(

Thats how I feel! I'm like, I just worked by booty off to burn those 500 calories, I am not gonna eat 500 calories worth of food just because I can.

Now, tonight my husband and I are going to my favorite bar/steak place and I intend on eating (drinking.. I need a beer after this week) them back..lol. But definately not an everyday thing. A few times a month maybe.
  • anamy90
    anamy90 Posts: 43
    Options
    Mfp put me on 1200 and keeps telling me about starvation mode if i don't eat my exercise calories. I'm not overly hungry on 1200 so sticking with it as if i try to add calories for the sake of it they will most likely be the bad kind from chocolate etc. I don't know about the starvation thing as i know that some doctors recommend vlc diets for people who are obsese and those are 500 cal or something. Same with a band.
  • theinsanityofme
    theinsanityofme Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've done some reading on this, I had he same worry a few days ago. I set myself on 1200 although MFP wanted me on 1750. I've read not to go under 1200 otherwise yo may struggle with starvation mode. I adjusted to 1500 although I am always under.

Make sure your diet is varied so you get all the nutrition your body needs. Also listen to your body, it will tell you if you're eating too little. Adjust if you need to, you need to find whats right fo you.
  • hriddick09
    Options
    I've been worried about that a lot because when I wasn't working it set my calories at around 1700 and then once I started this 3rd shift job about a month ago it jumped it up to just over 2400 calories. Since I've been watching what I eat and I'm on an overnight schedule I have trouble eating (or remembering to eat) just a minimum of 1200 calories without chowing down on fatty foods or empty calories. >.< It's a struggle.
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    Mine is 1470 to lose 2lbs a week and I eat that everyday when I work out I may eat a few cal back if I'm super hungry. But I would eat what they tell me to eat.
  • vanessaleigh818
    Options
    Mine is 1470 to lose 2lbs a week and I eat that everyday when I work out I may eat a few cal back if I'm super hungry. But I would eat what they tell me to eat.
  • vanessaleigh818
    Options
    Make sure to really evaluate what you are actually eating. The reduction in calories per week from where you are starting or your weight, is how your calories are determined. I am on a 1lb per week reduction. Therefore my calories are 1880. I am generally eating under, but if I work out I am eating back some of the calories earned if hungry after workouts. I also agree with the concept of trying it out as suggested and making decisions from there. We're so conditioned to see "diets of 1200" calories but this is a lifestyle change and tracking calories is about portion control and awareness of what your eating. If you are 120 lbs 1200 is probably good, but if you are 200 lbs, you may not have enough energy to get through the day on 1200 calories much less be active.
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    Go with your hunger. I just started and this week I've had to adjust to the calorie intake MFP gave me, mean ing I went over a few times and had too constantly review my food choices. Just remember it's a process. If you are able to not eat the calories that you burned, then thats great! BUT if you're hungry, eat! Yes we want to lose weight but if you drastically lower the calorie intake that they give you, it may backfire. As you slowly lower your calories intake, your hunger will diminish as well because you won't need as much to feel full.
  • Ravin714
    Ravin714 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you are starving your body I am completely depleted! Most of the time I have MANY cals left because I don't eat Breakfast or Lunch..Only now and then like today will I eat before 4pm...It says that but, I am seeing lbs fall off so I do what I am comfortable with. This weekend I will eat more due to holiday but, you can look back on my Diary and see I have many many cals left over and yes, it tells me I am eating to few cals but, I am Ok with that. The weight is falling off.
  • Ravin714
    Options
    Oh and I'm only allowed 1350 a day!
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you are starving your body I am completely depleted! Most of the time I have MANY cals left because I don't eat Breakfast or Lunch..Only now and then like today will I eat before 4pm...It says that but, I am seeing lbs fall off so I do what I am comfortable with. This weekend I will eat more due to holiday but, you can look back on my Diary and see I have many many cals left over and yes, it tells me I am eating to few cals but, I am Ok with that. The weight is falling off.

You are hurting your body by neglecting it for so many hours before feeding it the energy it NEEDS to merely function. If MFP allows you 1350 calories a day, eat them. If you want to "see the pounds fall off" then make better food choices, whole grains, veggies, fruits, eat clean and add strength training and cardio into your routine. You may loose weight fast but what your body is loosing is your lean muscle mass and water. Without lean muscle mass, it doesn't matter how little you weigh. You can weigh 110 pounds but still look flabby. We all can attest to the statement that flab is NOT sexy. If that is your goal I guess you're on the right path but I must say, it is not healthy and if you spoke with your doctor about it they would say the same.
  • 33Jones
    Options
    I do not really understand it either :( .... MFP said I should only get 1220 a day and that was NOT enough for me so I went up to 1450 and that's enough for me but at times I feel like I need more.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my macronutrients to 40/30/30. That is, I get 40% of my daily calories (1591) from carbs, 30% from fat and 30% from protein. I'm not on a huge loosing streak but I have some health issues that just about under control for now and I'll be able to start a new exercise routine soon. Until then, I'm maintaining and I think that's okay.

I agree with the gal who said to stick with a plan for a few weeks before deciding it isn't working out for you. I actually think 4 to 8 weeks is a better option, for me anyway, and then I'll try tweaking something to try for a different result.

There is another group on MFP, Eat More To Loose Weight and it is chalk full of great reads and tons of nutrition information. I have read a lot in that group and then researched it myself online and guess what? So far, nothing has been contradicted by science or the nutrition industries. That to me is worth MY weight in gold.

I'm also reading the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". A pleathora of information that I truly have always wondered about but didn't ever ask. Most public libraries have this book or you can get it on Amazon dot com for under $15 with cheap shipping.

I am NO expert but I do my body's own due diligence and when I have a question, I get online and research the heck out of it. I owe it to myself to find out the truths about the how's, when's, where's, why's and why not's. And so do you...as in, ALL OF YOU/US.
  • Ravin714
    Options

You are hurting your body by neglecting it for so many hours before feeding it the energy it NEEDS to merely function. If MFP allows you 1350 calories a day, eat them. If you want to "see the pounds fall off" then make better food choices, whole grains, veggies, fruits, eat clean and add strength training and cardio into your routine. You may loose weight fast but what your body is loosing is your lean muscle mass and water. Without lean muscle mass, it doesn't matter how little you weigh. You can weigh 110 pounds but still look flabby. We all can attest to the statement that flab is NOT sexy. If that is your goal I guess you're on the right path but I must say, it is not healthy and if you spoke with your doctor about it they would say the same.

I have changed my eating to an almost Vegen diet completely..Lots of veges and fruits and with the workouts I do there is little chance of flab LOL The Biggest Loser Workouts don't leave flab for sure...All Cardio, Strength and Toning so nope no chance of that. I did talk to my Dr and he stated if you are not hungry do not force it but, do eat before 4pm and never after 5pm..We are Good!
  • Ravin714
    Options
    Oh sara I forgot to tell you..I misread your group here I thought it meant that you weighed over 200lbs ( at one time or now ) and I joined but, I didn't know it was you want to lose 200 or more..If I did that there would be no me LOL I would love to stay though because it is a very inspirational group..You did good :)