Flare-ups

Options
How long do your flare-ups last?
Once you see symptoms of UC flare-up what do you eat?

Replies

• iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    longest was about two months back in 2009. my GI doctor stopped it with a long round of prednisone. that flare was awful.

since then, a combo of lialda and nicotine gum has kept me pretty stable. the flares start, but they haven't gotten horrible like the flares in 2009.
  • JPLYLER09
    JPLYLER09 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Id would say the same, though I was bad recently for about 2 weeks. I'd stick to a bland boring diet though lately I think It's all stress related. Hang in there, take your meds and it will get better
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    My uc is pretty mild, but for problems that the Lialda can't seem to cover, I stick to protein and carbs. Stress seems to be an aggravator now that I am a little older, but the same diet rules apply. Working out can take the edge off. Take care!
  • angelfish257
    angelfish257 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Keeping it pretty plain and bland helps ease things - when I've had a really bad flare I've found the only thing which doesn't irritate me more is porridge, weirdly enough - made with milk too, though as it's cooked it doesnt cause any problems. Taking some light excercise can help ease the discomfort too, even just going for a walk round the block.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    My experience has been really varied. Before Remicade I'd get better, wean off a med and go into a flare weeks later, that would last for weeks until some new med got it under control. After the Remicade, I don't get flares as such (knock on wood) but sometimes it acts up for a day or two. I usually eat lentils with vinegar, plus saltines/oyster crackers and my old standby of pasta & cheese or thin-crust cheese pizza. For some reason cheese helps me and the lentils (SORRY TMI) sort of solidify things.

I don't know what I'll do next time since I'm trying not to eat any dairy.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    Options
    I eat kinda blah and usually get on pred as soon as possible so it does not get worse. Logging my food and exercise has been a key to long remission periods for me.