Sleep Efficiency...shocked but what to do?

Options
2»

Replies

• Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    No matter what you are setting your fitbit on (normal vs sensitive) if you are tired when you get up and are waking up alot then there is an issue. I would suggest try taking melatonin for a couple of weeks 30 minutes before going to bed and see if that helps at all. Melatonin is a natural supplement. And of course if things don't rectify soon go see your doctor.

Good luck!
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    Honestly, if you are tired in the morning and waking up that much and you have insurance, I would get a sleep study. You can have apnea and not snore. My problem is not being able to fall asleep or stay asleep. I had a sleep study done a few years ago and reviewed by a sleep neurologist. I was not getting much REM sleep so I was tired in the morning and the reason I was waking up so much is because I have restless legs disorder, which runs in my family.

Melatonin and effect certain prescription drugs, so be careful before you buy it
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I don't do this but an option is have sleep in two parts. 4 hours, get up and do some stuff then back to bed for sleep part two.

I have 98% efficiency but only been sleeping 6 to 6.5 hours so wake up a little tired :yawn: and distracted ... this is not the post i was looking for.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    6 hrs is a good night for me. 5.5-5.7 is about average.
  • MbiggsHFD319
    MbiggsHFD319 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Until mine stopped working properly (free replacement is on the way) I was only getting about 3-5 hours of sleep with only 65% or less efficiency and I really think that was pretty accurate. I know I toss and turn all night due to the husband's need for TV and ceiling fan, which both are bothersome to me.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to sleep in separate rooms.
    Until mine stopped working properly (free replacement is on the way) I was only getting about 3-5 hours of sleep with only 65% or less efficiency and I really think that was pretty accurate. I know I toss and turn all night due to the husband's need for TV and ceiling fan, which both are bothersome to me.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Are you using the sensitive or normal setting for sleep? I find when I use the "sensitive tracker" my sleep efficiency goes down by as much as 20%. Using the "normal tracker" setting seems more akin with reality for me.
    I I had the same issue when I used the "sensitive" setting.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I'm someone who's had serious sleep problems and I once spent the night in a sleep lab. As some folks have already said, the recommendations for sleep hygiene are:

Bed used only for sleep and sex
    No TV (many TVs have timers that shut down the device after a preset time)
    No computers
    No cell phones
    Try doing a calming activity like meditation

Now they're saying that sleep meds (and I tried them all) may actually do more harm than good.

I no longer have trouble sleeping on normal days. Funny thing is, I can have a cup coffee, run in place for 10 minutes, fall asleep with my laptop on my bed and the TV blaring if I'm really tired.
  • RoxMyBox
    RoxMyBox Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't mean to be dismissive or rude, but I came across this after doing a Google search for "fitbit" and "sleep efficiency" and I had to laugh out loud.

The original poster is "shocked" that her sleep efficiency is at the percentage it is? I would say that those numbers are a very successful nights sleep.

I've been battling crippling chronic fatigue pretty much my entire life. I can "sleep" (and by that, I mean the time I'm in bed) for 12+ hours and still have terrible brain fog and fatigue. I've been tested for apena and narcolepsy (don't have either) and trying to be in bed for 7 hours or 13 hours makes no difference. The fatigue is such a problem just to function and all of the suggestions of "don't eat or drink caffeine" before bedtime doesn't make a difference. I am on a daily antidepressant which is a stimulant as well as the highest dose of Adderal and neither of those make any difference in how awake and alert or less sleepy I feel during the day. I laugh when people tell me I need to exercise more and that will help because its hard to even have the energy to go about my daily routine and do errands or go to work let alone do any exercise! And when I do try to have a lot of exercise, I literally have to spend an entire day in bed to recouperated.

Its REALLY that bad.

I have been to numerous doctors and none can figure out why I'm so incredibly fatigued all the time. When I found out recently about the FitBit (I am a bit behind on technology), I told a friend and he gave me his old one to use. I am primarily using it for the purposes of monitoring my sleep and since I've been using it and data collecting, I'm trying to narrow it down to figure out what is causing my sleep and fatigue issues.

Want to talk about SHOCKING? Try getting a look at THESE numbers! Now there are times where I wake up for a variety of reasons and I am aware that I did. Or times when I could not get my brain to shut off and I toss and turn for hours. Or times where I am woken up by something and then can't get back to sleep. These are all disturbances that I was going to expect to see. But its the amount of times that apparently I was woken up or had my sleep disturbed that I didn't even RECALL happening that is shocking. No wonder I am a walking zombie for the greater part of my life if I have sleep efficiency this poorly! Who on earth would be able to function well basically being sleep deprived? No wonder I'm not getting a good nights sleep when the longest I am sleeping is an hour (or 90 mins tops) before something distrupts me and I have to start that sleep cycle over and over again? Taking sleep aids like Melatonin don't seem to make a difference. Taking things like Amitryptylin or Ambien sure knock me the hell out, but I can't take them unless I know I can sleep as long as I want the next day to sleep it off because it gives me a "hangover" the next day if I need to wake up and get out of bed before its worn off.

The bottom line: I'm just a ridiculously LIGHT SLEEPER. I'm figuring out the variables of things that I need to change in order to improve my situation but its probably going to have to result in making some pretty drastic changes in order to be able to sleep well. For starters, I am not going to be able to sleep in the same bed as my husband. Yes, he snores but its not really as bad as I've heard some people snore. But its apparently enough that it disrupts me and even ear phones don't help. Getting a new mattress will help. And so its up to the attic, making the room as pitch black and quiet as possible, in a bed with a new mattress, ear phones, a sleep mask and no pets allowed whatsoever. No glare from electronics, no light. Period. And if that doesn't do it, I'm this close to having a sleep coffin made for me.

So yes, I don't want to be dismissive of the original poster but when you compare to these numbers I have obtained from MY sleep, you will easily be able to see why I find her complaint a bit laughable as something to be concerned with. I would be HAPPY if my numbers were like that!

sleep efficiency/times awakened/total hours in bed/total hours cumulative slept

39% 14x 8hrs49mins 3hrs 22mins
    61% 25X 15hrs31mins 8 hrs 44 mins
    64% 10x 8 hrs 46 mins 5 hrs 31 mins
    77% 11x 7 hrs 44 mins 5 hrs 5 mins
    53% 15x 8 hrs 18 mins 4 hrs 13mins
    57% 12x 7 hrs 6 mins 3 hours 19 mins
    36% 18x 9 hrs 17 mins 3 hrs 13 mins
    70% 10x 9 hrs 39 mins 6 hrs 41 mins
    69% 6x 4 hrs 33 mins 2 hrs 25 mins
    79% 6x 5 hrs 30 mins 4 hrs 16 mins
    69% 12x 7hrs 33 mins 4 hrs 55 mins
    63% 19x 8hrs 47 mins 5 hrs 14 mins
    59% 27x 11hrs 40 mins 6 hrs 40 mins
    70% 8x 7 hrs 29 mins 4 hrs 54 mins
    56% 15x 9 hours 42 mins 5 hrs 8 mins
    71% 14x 9hrs 27 mins 6 hrs 29 mins
    68% 12x 9 hrs 5 mins 5 hrs 44 mins
    61% 13x 8 hrs 43 mins 5 hrs 0 mins
    55% 11x 7 hrs 5 mins 3 hours 46 mins
    72% 13x 10 hrs 15 mins 7 hrs 7 mins
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If your husband snores that can really impact sleep quality even if you don't recall waking up totally. When my boyfriend is our of town my sleep quality is amazing. (If the snoring is caused by a deviated septum he can have surgery, my boyfriend gallantly signed up for it.)
  • ahernep
    ahernep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

New to this and still trying to figure out if my Fitbit flex is accurate or not, I'm pretty sure on "Normal" mode it is not totally accurate as it reports a few minutes of restlessness when I know I was fully awake. That said, I'm hoping "Sensitive" mode is over reacting and I'm somewhere between the 2 in reality. If anyone is using the fitbit flex and is confident that they sleep well if they could post their sleep pattern while on "Sensitive" I'd be greatly appreciative!

Thanks!
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    No sleep apnea. I don't snore at all. DH snores. I sleep with ear plugs in. I will say that I'm wondering if part of it isn't our mattress. It's not even seven years old but it's just not that comfortable anymore to me. I guess I keep thinking sometime in the next year we'll replace it. But since it's a pillow top, we can't flip it. We just built a house and moved in a couple of months ago. I don't have window treatments yet. But it was like this before we moved. This is how I've been for a few years it feels like.

I honestly don't remember the last time I went to bed and slept through the entire night. I remember waking up at least once.

It is set to sensitive because after I bought my fitbit, I'd read that the normal setting wasn't sensitive enough. Now I don't know what to set it on! LOL!

This was me. I don't snore. I haven't slept through the night in years. I can fall asleep no problem, but toss and turn all night, and i am awake enough to be aware of it.

so i got a sleep study anyway, even though i don't snore. guess what? sleep apnea. i don't snore, the test proved that. but my O2 levels dropped to 91% while i sleep (they should be around 97%), so my body was waking me up because it was oxygen deprived.

now i have a cpap. .

point being... get a sleep study done. hopefully it will rule some things out for you, and at least get you on a path to sleeping.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Echoing what someone else said - use it for comparison mostly. Get a few weeks of data under you and make notes in the morning on what was a "good" night and what was a "bad" night. Mine numbers are horrible - total bed time about 5-6 hrs, total sleep time 1-3 hrs. I keep it on senstive. I know I am getting more sleep than that - it just tracks movement, specifically of your arm. Apparently I am a bit of a "flailer" at night. But I dont care what actual numbers it says - i look at the peak/valley patterns and groupings. A "good" night for me always has them evenly spaced regardless of how often they occur. A "bad" night for me is when all the waking times are grouped and irregular.

I have years of data to look at, and I can now look back at any one of them and say "that is where I went to the bathroom", "that was a nightmare" , that was a restless night, that was a sound sleep, etc. Ignore then numbers, get to know which ones are "good" for you and use that as the benchmark to judge the others.

Now, what to do to change the bad ones into good ones... still working that out :)
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I thought I had some kind of sleep disorder after monitoring my sleep via my Fitbit (and knowing that I was still tired in the mornings): how many times I got up, how restless I seemed to be... I was all prepared to set up a sleep study.

Then I went to a conference and spent the night without my husband. The numbers in the morning were completely different.

I'm definitely getting a new mattress, one that has motion control (possibly a tempurpedic or a latex).