Dry eyes, Safe Carbs, and Scrapes that won't go away!

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
So for the last month or so I have experienced a weird symptom - dryish eyes... sometimes a little goopy at times.

Of course I googled it!

It seems this can be an issue with low carb. Along with that... then I read that if it's a mucus deficiency, I am at an increased risk for cancers!
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/11/dangers-of-zero-carb-diets-ii-mucus-deficiency-and-gastrointestinal-cancers/

Oh man. That sucks. Looks like the remedy is eating more carbs. Right now I aim for under 50 - and when i try to eat more than that I don't want to... You heard right - I don't WANT more carbs. But I am thinking of adding in portions of fruit daily - even though i don't want to.

Thoughts?

I'm experiencing a few other things, too - I have a sore in my nose that won't go away and it's been a few weeks (like a scratch from my allergies - it keeps bleeding) - and I'm having womanly issues, too.

I love low carb... I don't know if all these little things are coincidences... or my body is getting crabby at me about something.

Then I read there are "safer carbs" - like sweet potatoes. Anyone have experience with them?

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I posted some advice on this on a separate thread here that recommended increasing carb intake (by something like sweet potato, not Snickers bars ;)) to alleviate the dry eyes issue that some experience on a Paleoish diet.

I have to say that I've been getting some 'dry/stuffy nose' issues lately and since I upped my carbs recently they have gone away a bit.

I think it's a balancing thing, having a baked potato once in a while is a world away from basing an entire diet on grains/sugar ... One big on-going experiment ...
  • mstorvik
    Options
    I cannot find a spot on the net to tell me EXACTLY what to do. I do see yams, white potatoes, white rice, etc on there. But if I add this back, how much do I eat? How often? or do I just do an experiment on myself? Also, am I messing up my thyroid? Some stuff on the net linked it to an underactive thyroid (which I don't believe I have).

I go out to dinner tonight, so maybe I will partake in a small amount of yam/potato/rice. I'm scared that I'll crave it after though. ugh.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Here is an interesting take on it:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/07/dr-paul-jaminet-interview.aspx

I would just introduce something like sweet potatoes gradually and see how you go, a few days of this won't undo any progress and you can always step back if you start craving starches as you'll know what has triggered it.

I'm off for a roast lunch today and I'll have some spuds, I'll just skip the inevitably sweet dessert :)
  • mstorvik
    Options
    omg!! totally listened to that today already! ha!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i bought some frozen sweet potato fries (savingstar coupon lol)

they are one of the foods i miss the most.
  • mstorvik
    Options
    I think I am really bummed because this diet is going well for me otherwise. But this scrape I have is not healing... my eyes are killing me.... ugh.

I ate my potato last night and I was so so sad to see my carb totals yesterday. :(

I think I am going to add a tiny bit of sweet potato back to see what amount works - and I am toying with the idea of eating it right before my workout! I would assume it would be used during that time and then it would be easier to stay in ketosis?
  • debk3p2
    debk3p2 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think I am really bummed because this diet is going well for me otherwise. But this scrape I have is not healing... my eyes are killing me.... ugh.

I ate my potato last night and I was so so sad to see my carb totals yesterday. :(

I think I am going to add a tiny bit of sweet potato back to see what amount works - and I am toying with the idea of eating it right before my workout! I would assume it would be used during that time and then it would be easier to stay in ketosis?

Hi Mstorvik: I had to add a little bit of rice and sweet potato back in too because of terribly dry eyes. I'm just doing half servings for now (quarter cup rice etc.) It has helped a lot with the dry eyes but I am nervous it's going to slow my weight loss. If it slows me down too much I might try to up the carbs every other day or something like that. Good luck to you!
  • TheVimFuego
    Options

Timing it with exercise would seem a good move, the more intense the better.

There is a school of thought that promotes not combining carb-heavy meals with fat sources ... So, if you are going on a relative carbfest then keep the fats low ... Makes sense to me, intuitively.

So many theories ...
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Books to read:

"Living Low Carb by Jonny Bowden:" has a lot of good info and reviews of lots of the current low carb eating plans. Very straightforward and interestijg read.

"The Diabetes Miracle" by Diane Kress is a good read and also has some good info about a specific low carb eating plan (hers).

Both very informative.I find that reading about some f this helps - it is hard to just try to figure it all out on your own. Also, every person's body is different.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Good luck!
  • mstorvik
    Options

Hi Mstorvik: I had to add a little bit of rice and sweet potato back in too because of terribly dry eyes. I'm just doing half servings for now (quarter cup rice etc.) It has helped a lot with the dry eyes but I am nervous it's going to slow my weight loss. If it slows me down too much I might try to up the carbs every other day or something like that. Good luck to you!

Where I am 'lucky' is that I am in the last 10 lbs of weight I would like to lose. So that's a plus. If weight loss slows, that is okay with me - as long as I don't re-gain.

I'd love to hear how this works for you!! Keep in touch!
  • mstorvik
    Options

Timing it with exercise would seem a good move, the more intense the better.

There is a school of thought that promotes not combining carb-heavy meals with fat sources ... So, if you are going on a relative carbfest then keep the fats low ... Makes sense to me, intuitively.

So many theories ...

Whoopsie. Last night was a fat fest. I want to say I came close to 200 grams yesterday (it was a special occasion - that's not normal, haha) I'll keep that in mind. What I am thinking of doing is just eating the sweet potato before the workout with not much else. Hopefully my body will grab it and use it up asap.

I will say this - the human body amazes me!
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Books to read:

"Living Low Carb by Jonny Bowden:" has a lot of good info and reviews of lots of the current low carb eating plans. Very straightforward and interestijg read.

"The Diabetes Miracle" by Diane Kress is a good read and also has some good info about a specific low carb eating plan (hers).

Both very informative.I find that reading about some f this helps - it is hard to just try to figure it all out on your own. Also, every person's body is different.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Good luck!

Oooo! Thanks for the book adds!
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try eating some things from the higher end of the spectrum, especially ones higher in nutrients you may not get as much of.
    http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com.au/2008/01/how-many-carbs-are-in-vegetables.html

If you're worried it will kick you out of ketosis, try spacing it out in small serves during the day.

You could also try the lower carb (and low GI) fruit like berries.

Might be worth taking a zinc supplement too:
    http://www.personalwellnessconsultant.com/mineral-deficiency/