Do you see cheating or going "off plan" ever ok?

Options
cwade1021
cwade1021 Posts: 95 Member
Just as the title says, while on MF do think ever think it is ok to cheat or go off plan for ANY reason? A special anniversary dinner? A vacation? etc?

I used to belong to a medifast specific board and I ended up having to leave because it was too intense. If you went off plan, or even thought about going off plan people would get on you. Like you were throwing your life and diet away.

Wondering what the general thought here is? I'm not looking to debate, just curious. I honestly have no real feelings either way. I guess it comes down to an individual's willpower on getting back on plan and whether one would want to endure getting back into fatburning (ketosis).

Replies

• newlifecowgirl
    Options
    Honestly there are weeks where I am 100% on plan and doing my excercise, feeling fabulous. Then there are days like today ( or very special occasions) that I will cheat a bit ( tonight it was half a mini cornbread muffin, and a 1/3 of a really yummy frozen cookie) I just worked my tail off to work off the extra calories.

My feelings are that I give into it OCCASIONALLY, but get back on plan, drink more water and in my case work out a little bit longer. Otherwise I obsess, but that's just me. I probably could have lost more weight so far ( as of 2 weeks ago I was down 66 LBS since January. Haven't bought new batteries for my scale)
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I feel that first of all its not cheating we are not taking a test this is a means to a permanence life style change and daily while on Medifast we can make the choice to stay OP 100% and reach our goals quicker or stay whatever other % OP and reach them when we get there. Personally for me I tell my clients to stay 100% OP I let them know about my experiences and how hard it was to get back OP and still is I will be back OP Oct 1st taking a break from it all after being OP for a year and losing 60lbs on Medifast. But I do let them know if they make that choice for example one of my clients her husband wanted to take her out for her birthday well I did my best to explain to her this outing is NOT about food but about other things and celebrating their love and life together..I let her know of the consequences she would face going off plan and if she was ready to deal with the 3-4 days set back and $30-$40 down the drain etc etc etc then fine..this isn't a rat race u will get to your goal when u r ready to put in the work it takes to get there;) So I don't feel people should get beat up or beat themselves up for going off plan but understand why,how to make your situation better next time and set yourself up for success;) It's all about what u as an individual wants for me my goal is to drop 60 more lbs by 8/20/2013 then I will be at my 2 yr mark OP...I know for me 100% is totally possible but out of the year I was OP I was only 100% my first 5 weeks so for me I know 100% isn't where I am right now but that also dosent mean with more push Oct 1st I can start out fresh and be 100% I should have been at goal weight before my 1 yr mark on 8/20 but because of MY CHOICES to eat off plan I got down to my lowest of 177.2 on April 15th and gained back up to about 210 around July;/ Still I was 90lbs down from 268lbs starting weight and it sucks,stings a bit sometimes,but I made the choice now I have to deal with it!! How??? By making better choices and the biggest one of all staying OP...all other occasions and food will be there next year;)
  • Sweetpea64
    Sweetpea64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been easing myself into MF as I didn't have a good start with a coach. So I have been eating the MF meals and still having a healthy meal. Mostly on plan. But, on vacation I ate my MF food and also several regular meals. I find that I don't eat as much because if I still eat many times a day I don't feel as hungry. So when I went off plan it was minimal. Still under what MFP gave me as a goal for weight loss. I may not lose as fast as some doing 100% but I don't feel deprived either. I have a long way to go.
    I have lost 21 lbs in the first month doing this my way. So I guess it is ultimately up to you how you want to do it. At some point I may feel like it will be necessary to be more strict if my weight loss slows down. So for me I get judged from both sides, MF followers think I am off plan, and MFP followers think I don't eat enough. Me I think I am doing what works for me and I feel good.
    :0) So in answer to your question Yes it is ok if it works for you just get right back to what you were doing. Best of luck!
  • emmaruns
    emmaruns Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    For me, I feel like it's not about eating x or y, it's about just getting into the "groove" of the plan. I did this once before, and went off a little here or there and it got to the point where I just had too many times to "choose" if this was a time to go off. I'm only on my first week back but am finding that every time I exercise my "no thank you" muscle, I feel a little stronger.

I think it's personal. For me, going off a little bit led to going off completely so I don't want to go there this time. For others, it doesn't seem to stop them from getting to their goal weight. We're all adults, all individuals, so just find what works for you.

Good luck and happy losses either way!
    Emily
  • littleredjd
    Options
    I try not to go off plan for special occasions or to reward myself for staying on plan or working out hard. I make all my rewards non-food ones & asked my fiancée to do the same. The reason is, that is the kind of thinking that allowed me to slowly get fat a little at a time until one day I was 50+ pounds overweight. I grew up with parents who modeled unhealthy food relationships (no dessert if you don't behave, it's your birthday/good report card/etc. so you can eat whatever). Since going on Medifast & taming my food demons (aka addictions), now my cheats are a glass of wine or 10 cherries, not the old standbys like a pint of Ben & Jerry's or a plate of French fries. I know there is pressure to celebrate with food in our lives--so you just have to decide what your priorities are & how hard it is to get back on track after you let yoursekf go astray for a few days/weeks/months.

If it is a birthday of a friend, I politely decline cake & do not over indulge just for the sake of over indulging as a (unhealthy) way to celebrate. If it is my birthday, I ask we eat a normal meal, have fruit (maybe with whipped cream) for dessert (since I'm allergic wheat). I would rather overindulge in laughter & adult board games with friends to celebrate. Staying healthy is a lifestyle. Just like being overweight was, and is, until each of us makes the tough choices necessary for us to live healthier. I'm not saying its easy, I'm just saying that my own self awareness journey has been very eye opening about using food as a reward or celebration.
  • leahandbella
    leahandbella Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I would have stuck with Medifast long enough to lose almost 45 pounds if I didn't indulge every now in then in something I wanted. I'm one of those people who gets consumed with what I 'can't' have and obsess about it until I have it. If I can have a small bite of cake at a birthday party then I'm satisfied. I now have more willpower, I don't HAVE to have the entire piece of cake (and seconds). My can't live without cheat is wine - I'll have a glass or 3 every now and then, but I know exactly what I'm doing - I'm stalling my weight loss.
  • littleredjd
    Options
    A girl after my own heart. I LOVE wine. And cherries.
  • goldendoodle1
    goldendoodle1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Since MF depends on the low carbs to curb hunger and burn fat faster, it isn't the best plan for people who like to go on and off (in my opinion). My husband is such a person. I think he would do much better on weight watchers where going a little off plan won't set you back a week as you struggle to get back into fat burning mode. He has been on MF for almost 2 years and has lost and regained a LOT of weight. If you do feel the need to go off, try to keep it low carb- like a glass of wine or a little extra steak. A few extra calories might slow you down a little, but it wont' throw you off like extra carbs do. It also depends on your personality- I'm more of a goal oriented "get 'er done" kind of person, so I stayed strictly on plan until I had lost about 90% of my weight- I did start experimenting a little as I approached goal and transition, but not enough to throw me off track. You can definitely learn a lot when you fight to stay on plan, but you can also learn from going off plan and struggling to get back on. The most important thing is to keep going and keep trying to get healthy.

I also hate the "cheat" word. You are just making choices.
  • gardengirlkp
    gardengirlkp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love the word choice rather than cheat. I was a lot like Goldendoodle. I lost and stayed on plan almost 99.9% of the time. Otherwise, it just cost too much- in time, product, emotional stress. While OP, I forced myself to learn new habits to deal with stress and other reasons why I used food to cope. I don't use food to cope anymore. I had to learn not to so I could maintain my weight loss. Good luck and stay OP as best you can.
  • calla130
    Options
    It is definitely a personal choice, so what's okay for one person is up to that person to decide. It's not okay for me because in my world I have made a commitment and ordered my priorities accordingly. I am able to enjoy my life on plan and don't find that it takes away from any experience to choose not to eat a particular food. In fact, I think I enjoy my life MORE because my relationship with food has evolved in this way. Again, it's a very individual question with no answer that applies to everyone.
  • rosesandsuch
    rosesandsuch Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was extremely strict during the 5 and 1 phase, because maintaining ketosis requires it. After I started transitioning, I allowed myself to enjoy a treat every once and awhile. :)
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Apparently, eating medifast bars all day and then spaghetti and meatballs at night is a recipe for massive weight gain. I'd try so hard all day and then get home starving and there would be no healthy food and i'd end up eating something off plan. Anyway, i'm not sure I'll ever be able to get off medifast, but it seems to me to be the only thing that relably works. I'm going to stick to it for the next 2 months anyway, until i eat all of the food i have stored up. Then we'll see. maybe there is something out there that doesn't stall when you go a little off plan.
    I also found that since i was depriving myself so much, when i went off plan, i went off in a BIG WAY. Like mac and cheesy way.
  • tgibbons1935
    tgibbons1935 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been on the Medifast program since August and I have not stayed on it 100% but I am still down 16 pounds and 14 inches. I have improved my eating habits drastically and when I do go off the plan, it isn't that bad. You know, life does get in the way sometimes but I go and weigh in every week, I work out 3 times a week and stick to it as much as I can. I agree that the website for Medifast has some hard core people on their community boards but I believe do whatever works best for you. Anyone feel free to add me if they want so we can support each other! I haven't been doing really well about logging in because I have had so much going on lately but keeping track of your food does help so much. We can get through this together! :happy:
  • alyssakelm
    Options
    I have been on the plan for 3 months and lost a total of 27 lbs and I was incredibly strict until i got into the groove. One thing I do every week is I go into trader joe's and try their sample. Whatever it is, on plan or not. That one little bite of "cheating" has really helped me stay sane.