Just curious! Can anyone relate?

Options
aprueitt
aprueitt Posts: 91 Member
I started low carb in April and I have lost 25lbs and was feeling great. I have bad knees, arthritis has set in. Since low carb the pain was almost gone. Everyone was bugging me that I shouldn't do low carb so I started counting calories a couple of weeks ago and started eating more pasta,rice,potatoes and what ever fit into my calories. Since then I have felt bad and my knees have been killing me..Also my ankles look like they belong on a Hippo.Does low carb help control joint pain? Has anyone else experienced this? Oh I have also gained 3lbs. Needless to say I am back to low carb.

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I started low carb in April and I have lost 25lbs and was feeling great. I have bad knees, arthritis has set in. Since low carb the pain was almost gone. Everyone was bugging me that I shouldn't do low carb so I started counting calories a couple of weeks ago and started eating more pasta,rice,potatoes and what ever fit into my calories. Since then I have felt bad and my knees have been killing me..Also my ankles look like they belong on a Hippo.Does low carb help control joint pain? Has anyone else experienced this? Oh I have also gained 3lbs. Needless to say I am back to low carb.

It's possible that it could be the gluten in the pasta. Can you try eliminating it and see if it improves? It could take a week or two though, to eliminate it out of your system completely before you see an improvement.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/530647-does-gluten-sensitivity-cause-arthritic-pain/

Eating low carb previously probably eliminated most of the sources of gluten before.

I didn't really have an issue with joint pain, but eliminating gluten cured my eczema and acid reflux problems.
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    YES! I have fibromyalgia and my main reason for going low carb was for pain management.
  • aprueitt
    Options
    Thank you. Yes am not going to eat any of it for a while.
  • aprueitt
    Options
    Thank you. I have just noticed a big difference since counting calories. I am back on low carb. I hope it doens't take to long to get back to feeling better.
  • debk3p2
    debk3p2 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Me too. I've been lowish carbing with no grains for the past 8 months and my arthritis seems much better.

Last month we went on vacation and I didn't follow the plan. My arthritis acted up the whole time we were gone. When I resumed my lowish carb/no grain plan the pain diminished significantly.

Good luck!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Same here, I also have FM and find that when I eat carbs in those forms that my pain is much worse. I have felt TEN times better since going low carb.
  • aprueitt
    Options
    How long until you noticed the difference?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I have not suffered joint pain but my intermittent dry skin condition has disappeared since going (more or less) grain-free.

If find it constantly amazing that simply eliminating some foods will improve a whole range of conditions.

I constantly refer people to the Wheat Belly book (and blog) and they think I'm some kind of Food Nazi nutter but the stories of people finding relief in just cutting grains or wheat are astonishing.

It makes you wonder how many undiagnosed conditions are out there that people are just living with.

I also find my appetite is less when avoiding the bread/pasta/rice ... I can't see me going back to be honest.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I read the book Wheat Belly over the summer and the author talks about how wheat products are inflammatory to not only our digestive systems (IBS) but also to our joints. Of course this wouldn't explain the rice and pasta, but breads yes.

I am a firm believer, I've never felt better.
  • debk3p2
    Options
    I read the book Wheat Belly over the summer and the author talks about how wheat products are inflammatory to not only our digestive systems (IBS) but also to our joints. Of course this wouldn't explain the rice and pasta, but breads yes.

Would explain the pasta :)

White potatoes give me problems too. I've never noticed an issue with rice or sweet potatoes.

Over the past several years I've had a lot of trouble swallowing and the doc thought I had something called Schatzki Ring (Schatzki Ring - a Schatzki Ring - not sure how you use it in a sentence - I don't know tech stuff). When I quit wheat the symptoms went away. I don't see myself going back. I don't want to feel that way again.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Would explain the pasta :)

True enough! Sometimes my blind spots amaze me :)
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one, I've just returned to Atkins and I completely forgot how much better my arthritis is on low carb.

For the interested, Dana Carpender (Low Carb Cookbook Author) has written some interesting articles on gelatin (including joint improvement). I'm thinking on either adding it in to my diet or eating more foods that naturally contain it, and see how it goes. We eat a lot less gelatin than our grandfathers and great grandfathers.
  • aprueitt
    Options
    Thank you! Do you what kind or how much gelatin to use?
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options

You do know that pasta is made from wheat, right?
  • debk3p2
    Options
    Thank you! Do you what kind or how much gelatin to use?

I'm curious about this too. I keep meaning to try adding this and broth but I keep putting it off.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My wife gets swelling and horrible joint pain if she eats even small amounts of wheat. I get eczema flare ups that go away as long as I eat low carb and my 2.5 year old son gets rashes when he eats anything with gluten.

It's so much better just to stay away from the stuff.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do not deal with joint pain, but I had my first serious carbs last weekend for my birthday. My allergies which were very minimal since I went low carb came roaring back. Allergies have always triggered asthma issues, so I had to use my inhaler for the first time in over 2 months.