Surgery date fast approaching

Options
jmwolffyy
jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
Tuesday morning, I have to be at the hospital at 6am.... I am flipping back and forth from nervous to excited and back again!

Replies

• ErinShannon
    ErinShannon Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Good luck - just had mine this past Tuesday! It's so exciting! :-)
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    And you should be! My kids laughed at me as they read the calendar on the days leading up to my surgery. There were a number of tasks I wanted to complete bofore my surgery but on the day before my only plan was to finish packing and "fret and worry". I did it as a little joke for myself.

The most important thing you can do right now is to think positive thoughts and try to get a good night's sleep. Wishing you a great outcome!
  • ruby_brewer
    ruby_brewer Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! Surgery will go great :) I am now a month post-op and I would definitely make the same decision again if I had to. Some things to remember though: you will probably gain wieght while in the hospital due to all the fluids they pump into you (I gained six lbs!) and the more you get up and walk and go to the bathroom by yourself the better you will feel :)
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Best of luck on your surgery. It will be over before you know it. Honestly with worst part was the pain in my chest/abdomen from the gas bubble but once I moved around enough to get rid of that I didn't need any pain medicine. Two things that no one warned me about prior to the surgery that I found out afterwards were that I gained 13 pounds while in the hospital since they had injected an extra 6 liters of fluids into me while I was there but that came off within the first two weeks that I was out. The second thing was that I was emotional and mentally not myself for a few days afterwards as well. I would watch something on television for example and start crying which I never do normally.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    good luck and the fun starts afterwards!! lol :drinker:
  • jmwolffyy
    Options
    Hee hee, I am posting this from the hospital. Doctor said the surgery was textbook, and I am already feeling quite good. A little pain, made worse from the way I twisted when getting up to walk, but still not bad pain. Ready to get this show rolling!!!!! :glasses:

Will be back posting regularly soon!
  • kasmusic3PA
    kasmusic3PA Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your surgery, Mine is Sept 11, I too am feeling excited. Glad to hear you are doing so well. I hope that I can
    do the same. If I can lend support, let me know.
    Kathy
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    send you happy thoughts for a quick recovery.
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Congrats JM!! You are a couple of days out now, how are you feeling? Getting all that walking in??
  • pljohnson001
    pljohnson001 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, and stay in touch!
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    congrats Jim and good luck on your new journey
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Hope you are feeling well and getting that walking in! Let us know how you are when you can!
  • jmwolffyy
    Options
    Walking is easy. Its getting enough liquid that is proving to be difficult. I have a history of not ever drinking enough, and doing so for only two weeks with a "normal-size" stomach prior to surgery does not seem to have helped. I keep something with me to sip on all the time, but an hour will slip by before I remember to pick it up. I have noticed that my pre-surgery favorites are no longer at all interesting, and the better I like something, the more of it I happily ingest. So now I am working on finding liquids that I love.....
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    and make sure to just burp/fart the gas out................... you will really feel 100x better! LOL!
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good luck on this exciting journey. I am 7 months and 117lbs out and it has been awesome. Just do everything the way they tell you.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Just keep on working on your liquids. In the beginning it was the hardest for me also. I was always a water guzzler...suddenly I could barely sip it. At 5 months out now I can say it is just now getting easier for me to get in my water. I can finally drink a fairly normal amount of water now as long as it isnt too cold. It will get easier...just keep on doing your best!
  • Mrbusterb
    Options
    Good luck to you it will be over before you know it
  • jmwolffyy
    Options
    Hot tea!!!! That is my solution. Cold drinks are okay, but the warm ones comfort my stomach better and I can tolerate more at a time. And now I am back to work which opens those extra hours that I was using for sleeping in while I was at home too.....

Anyone for some tea with me? :drinker:
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hot tea!!!! That is my solution. Cold drinks are okay, but the warm ones comfort my stomach better and I can tolerate more at a time. And now I am back to work which opens those extra hours that I was using for sleeping in while I was at home too.....

Anyone for some tea with me? :drinker:

I'm sitting here sipping some Twining's Peppermint Tea as I'm reading your post. :drinker:
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Walking is easy. Its getting enough liquid that is proving to be difficult. I have a history of not ever drinking enough, and doing so for only two weeks with a "normal-size" stomach prior to surgery does not seem to have helped. I keep something with me to sip on all the time, but an hour will slip by before I remember to pick it up. I have noticed that my pre-surgery favorites are no longer at all interesting, and the better I like something, the more of it I happily ingest. So now I am working on finding liquids that I love.....

You do NOT want to become dehydrated - did that - The ER people are very nice!!! :happy: But seriously - I use the clock app on my phone and set it to 5 - 10 min intervals. I like you - forget and an hour will go by without a drink. So I have to have that little reminder. Docs PA even suggested that. Works for me.

Good luck...