What do you struggle with?

Options
What do you find is your biggest struggle living a gluten free lifestyle? What foods still scream your name? What happens when you are offered a fluffy piece of cake? How do you overcome these obstacle? How do you break bad habits of turning to your old favorites?

Let’s help each other find ways to strive for a better lifestyle by sharing your survival secrets. LET’S TALK!

Replies

• gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have an allergy to wheat and after almost 5 months I still struggle with bread and french fries. Why do they treat fries with a wheat flavoring? It makes me crazy. Wheat is in everything! I'm still trying to figure out what I can and can't have, especially when eating out. When eating at home, my husband and I cook from scratch and use very little processed food; so that's a big help.

By the way, I am in the over-60 category and was aware that I had a wheat allergy when I was a child (still ate bread). Over the past few years my cough, asthma, and IBS got worse, too. I was beginning to have a problem sleeping at night. I was using inhalers (still do), reflux medicine, and medicine to stop the IBS. After seeing an article in AARP magazine in April, I realized my problem was my wheat allergy. Doing much better now.

Glad to join the group!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Celiac disease in January of this year. It's been extremely difficult to watch everyone carry on eating cake, and pasta and just sit around watching. I've had occasions where i'll get gluten free snacks and that seems to help, but it's still really difficult.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is eating out at restaurants. They seem to want to add wheat to everything! I always fall back on chicken or steak, but it tends to get a bit boring always getting similar things. And then it's a challenge finding a good steak!
  • gojinuts
    Options
    Without a doubt, bread! I adore it but I have some extreme food intolerances and when I eat gluten I get very very ill.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is eating out at restaurants. They seem to want to add wheat to everything! I always fall back on chicken or steak, but it tends to get a bit boring always getting similar things. And then it's a challenge finding a good steak!

I agree! During the summer, I ate a lot of salads with little or no dressing or chicken. I'm trying to learn to cook more at home; it's healthier in the long run and easier to control my portions. When my husband and I cook, we use fresh meats and vegies and very little processed foods.

Feel free to add me as a friend so we can exchange ideas.Good luck!
  • SweetSouthernSarah
    Options
    Speaking of dressings I found making my own dressing helps and to be honest it has way more flavor than store bought. I use more apple cider vinegar instead of oils to cut back on the fats.

I also have to agree that I have a love/hate relationship with bread. I absolutely love it, but my body hates it. Millet bread is the closest thing I have found that makes a good sandwich bread, but its thicker like potatoes bread. It's that fluffy crispy bread I miss.

The absolute hardest thing for me is that my significant other doesn't eat a lick of vegetables. All he eats is bread and meat. I can't throw out all the gluten or not organic products out of the house, because it would be all of his food. Making separate meals is hard and kind of sad really. I don't get to share my meals with him. When we makes spaghetti I have a pot of GF noodles and he has his regular ones. It works, but its a struggle. There is always pizza in the house; hard not to have a piece when its staring you in the face.

It's a struggle, but in the end its for the better... right?
  • morninglory5782
    morninglory5782 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle is just figuring out what i can and can't eat. I haven't had too much trouble watching other people eat cake because when I think about how bad it makes me feel - I just don't want it. For home I buy mostly fruits and vegetables, we eat some meat, and I have gone through all my cabinets and purged everything that had gluten, msg, things i couldn't pronounce, additives, etc. (except for what my husband just wouldn't let me throw away - he has his own shelf for that!)
    I do have a sweet tooth and further back in the summer I was on a huge fruit and veggie kick, but I've gotten a little depressed and found some gluten free chips and cookies and - well, you can eat gluten free and still have a crappy diet! I think sugar is just as much the devil as gluten, if not worse. So I need motivation to stay with the veggies!
    The other thing i have trouble with is eating out. I have found several restaurants that have great GF menus, but how can you be sure your food is not cross-contaminated? and what about those restaurants that don't?
    I'm excited about this group and look forward to learning from all of you and chatting with you! Feel free to friend me!!!
    ~Meg
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Pizza and donuts. I crave them, but I get past the cravings because I know how I'll feel after eating them. That's all it takes for me!
  • dwn2erth
    dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think one of my struggles is that 'I know' I shouldn't be eating wheat. My sister was diagnosed with Celiac's by blood draw and didn't have to have the biopsy. I just got tested and the labs were normal; but when I've had wheat my throat and lungs feel heavy even with starting cingular.. Without cingular I'd exercise and go into a full blown asthma attack. I'm trying to become gluten free. The stupid thing is why do physicians need a test to confirm what 'you' already know. Wheat and My body don't mix. I 'really' think the biggest thing is the Genetically Modified wheat etc. Sometimes I find Corn Chips does the same thing; even when they say Gluten Free
  • bblich02
    bblich02 Posts: 57
    Options
    to go sandwiches :( boo
  • shanfree
    Options
    I just went gluten free 13 days ago. It's been EASY. BUT, I'm a teacher and about to return to work where the ladies like to keep all kinds of gluten goodies in the staffroom year round. This is going to be tricky. And the organization I'll need to have packing my lunch and snacks. I'm terrible at being organized that way.

Right now I'm craving poutine (fries smothered in cheese curds and gluten-y grave, for those americans who have no idea what I'm talking about).

But, I do feel better. I'm going to try and remember that when I feel tempted.

Chin up, y'all!
  • cwgrlfth
    cwgrlfth Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I first started it was trying to figure out how to eat. I have been doing it for almost 4 years now and I still stumble but for the most part I have learned to cook different and eat out different. Family and friends are very supportive and that helped alot. My kids are getting so good at grocery shopping with me they check labels before I even have to ask. They do not have the issue like me. I struggle with weight loss though and that is the toughest for me dealing with this gluten allergy.