An 'Apple' a day keeps the weight gain at bay.....

Options
So, after almost 2 weeks of what seemed to be nothing more than good ol' self sabotage, I think I figured out why I started to veer off the Primal track. Reason number 1 I believe is stress, a few too many things going on all at once and I seem to be eating my stress with any carb and sugar item I can get my hands on. #2 is that I stopped checking in to this support group and marksdailyapple.com, it's funny how daily exposure to something will keep you thinking about it and on track (the basic idea behind MFP even). Reason #3 is what I believe to be an issue that a lot of people experience when changing their diet and cutting out certain items, when a ways into the diet and you're doing well and seeing good results, little by little you sneak little bits and pieces of the foods you've chosen not to eat back into your diet. It starts with a cracker here and there when you're hungry and looking for a primal snack, then it goes to pizza on a night when you're too tired to cook, and then you're still losing every week so what's the harm in a starchy or sugary treat once in a while (and soon becomes every day), and then ends in a semi-primal breakfast and a complete bust the rest of the day. Fun enough, I gained last week for the first time in 2 months! I have also been spending a fairly significant amount of time on pinterest, and more and more in the food section pinning delicious looking desserts and carb laden foods, no wonder my cravings are off the charts! So I vowed today to only pin primal recipes from now on, and even created a seperate area for them so I'm not distracted by any of the others. I also spent about 1/2 an hour on marksdailyapple.com and strangely jumped up and went for a run! surround yourself with the things you want in life and soon enough it starts to become reality for you! I'm hoping that my enthusiasm lasts longer than tonight, and i plan on starting my Labor day morning with a healthy primal breakfast and an 'apple' :)

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on number 3. My biggest way of veering off track is when I allow myself a "reward" for doing so well. That reward turns into an overall, "you-can-do-this-just-for-now". Then those moments become more and more frequent until my entire diet has been completely derailed!

You are right about how constantly checking up on a website or two will keep you focused. With that in mind, here's my food board on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/kbray003/food/
    It's not ALL paleo, but a lot of it is. What's yours?
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for your board info, I will definitely be following you! here's mine http://pinterest.com/bcreyes/primal-food/ and some of the stuff on there is ideas for bulk cooking/freezing for quick meals and storing produce! Also, I eat Primally so I eat full fat dairy and things like butter and bacon (a no-no I think for Paleo) so some of them will have those ingredients :)
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Here is mine : http://pinterest.com/renkatherine/paleorecipes/
    It is new, so sparse still, but I am working on it!
    Agree totally with the food-as-reward thing. I stuck to paleo for two weeks without even a temptation so I got a massage while I was on a trip for work. Sooooo much better than a pizza!

I also agree about surrounding yourself with reminders and like-minded people.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I pretty much eat Primal too. I do try to limit dairy, but I don't want to cut it out completely. Full fat dairy is fine for me... I love cheese too much!
  • DiCE12
    DiCE12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Great post! Im going to head over to pinterest now to add you, and delete anything non paleo!
  • breeanreyes
    Options
    I love this! thanks for your primal/paleo pinterest boards! i just pinned a ton of new recipes that I can't wait to try... and now i'm going for a run thanks to the inspiration to stay on track :P
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Great job indentifying these things that presented challenges for you!
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've recognized the problems, and have a good plan of attack! :) I have a pale/primal Pinterest board too:

http://pinterest.com/runninragged/eat-like-a-caveman-paleo-lifestyle/

I try to leave notes and comments on the ones of tried. Can't wait for fall so I can try all my soup recipes!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm normally very internet-savvy, but for some I don't understand Pinterest. I want to, though! But I guess I'm not sure how it works. I went to kbray's pinterest site and clicked on "melt in your mouth chicken" 'cause it looked yummy and I wanted the recipe. But it wasn't there. It just showed me who else had pinned it. What am I missing??? I know people love Pinterest so I'm obviously missing a very critical understanding of it, LOL.

I also don't really understand Twitter, but that's a tale for another day.... LOL
  • DiCE12
    Options
    LOL! You then should be able to click on the image to take you to the site with the recipes..? Did you try that? It's pretty much a "pin-board" of ideas, pictures & websites...

:)
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    HA! I'm embarrassed I missed that. Thank you. :-)
  • breeanreyes
    Options
    Haha, I took me forever too to figure it out, the first time I visited the site I couldn't figure out why people liked it, let alone got addicted to it... now i spend WAAAAYYY too much time pinning! Sometimes it helps to have a goal for your first board too, mine was my hubby's 30th birthday that I just started planning.. then the monster was created!
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    You all rock. I think I managed to catch all of your pinterest boards and I'm now following them all. Sooooo many good recipe ideas, and a lot of Primal friendly baked ideas I never would have thought of! Got my next shopping trip/cooking day all planned out for two weeks of delicious primal goodness. :)
  • DiCE12
    Options
    Is everyone here from America?

I'm in the UK & never heard of Pinterest til MFP, now I am addicted, it's mainly work I do at work ^.^ but no one on this side of the pond has heard of it!
  • breeanreyes
    Options
    you'll have to spread the word! we'll create a worldwide epidemic of low production at work :P hahaha! I am from the states, not sure if everyone else is or not.
  • KBGirts
    Options
    I'm from the US as well. As popular as Pinterest is over here, it's only a matter of time for it to be popular in the UK.... especially now that you can help spread the word.