New and need advice

mdelcott
mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
I am planninf to give this a real solid chance for 2 weeks and see if it works for me. My question is today would be my first DD, do I have to eat the >500 or can I just water fast for the day, this would be easier for me. Also on my UD would I just eat whatever up to around 2000 calories?? Thanks

Replies

• sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    I believe you can just water fast if you like, as long as you don't go OVER 500, and yes anything up to your 2000 cal. I try and eat as much healthy stuff as I can on an UD just to keep up with vitamins and fibre I might lose with such a low DD. wish I could water fast, I still get so hungry, especially at night when I want to just be full and sleep, lol. Water fasting, is there any trick to it??
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    My advice is don't get too hung about the numbers - embrace the principle instead.

There's no exact science to suggest you must eat 500 calories on the DD. The general guideline is to consumer 25% of normal but if you eat 50% you'll still reap many health benefits - it just might take a little longer to hit your weight goals - but if that means that you stick with it, then so much the better.

Looking at the science - many of the health benefits seem to come from the length of time of the fast - not just the number of calories consumed.

So all things being equal it is better to fast for 24 hours and then eat 600 calories, then eat 600 calories by grazing over the day. It is the fasting that kicks in lots of the health benefits.

In addition, the type of food, rather than the number of calories is also very important. Eating low GI foods, that won't spike your insulin levels are much better than less calories with high GI food and you'll burn more fat because you're body won't be so reliant on glycogen stores.

Also, my advice is don't get too worked up about weight (particularly in the short term) - because that can yo-yo and give you misleading information. No good losing 6lbs of weight if most of it is coming from lean muscle. If you can, try and measure your progress by measuring % of body fat.

In summary - look at the whole picture - not just calories and weight loss. Slow and steady is always the best way to go.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    :bigsmile: thanks! awesome post!
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    My advice is don't get too hung about the numbers - embrace the principle instead.

There's no exact science to suggest you must eat 500 calories on the DD. The general guideline is to consumer 25% of normal but if you eat 50% you'll still reap many health benefits - it just might take a little longer to hit your weight goals - but if that means that you stick with it, then so much the better.

Looking at the science - many of the health benefits seem to come from the length of time of the fast - not just the number of calories consumed.

So all things being equal it is better to fast for 24 hours and then eat 600 calories, then eat 600 calories by grazing over the day. It is the fasting that kicks in lots of the health benefits.

In addition, the type of food, rather than the number of calories is also very important. Eating low GI foods, that won't spike your insulin levels are much better than less calories with high GI food and you'll burn more fat because you're body won't be so reliant on glycogen stores.

Also, my advice is don't get too worked up about weight (particularly in the short term) - because that can yo-yo and give you misleading information. No good losing 6lbs of weight if most of it is coming from lean muscle. If you can, try and measure your progress by measuring % of body fat.

In summary - look at the whole picture - not just calories and weight loss. Slow and steady is always the best way to go.

Thats great Thank you!!