Any ideas for a substitute for potato chips?

Options
mistybkarma
mistybkarma Posts: 31 Member
I'm eating on a paleo/primal diet, and I cannot have normal potatoes. However, I have a delicious jar of salsa in my cabinet at home, and I NEED something crunchy to put in it. Does anyone know anything I can use?

Replies

• lauratidenberg
    Options
    I have a dehydrator however i believe you could make them in the oven but you could dehydrate some summer squash. Cut them thinly and soak in salt water for 15 mins.. then lay on a sheet and dehydrate them... soo yummy and you get the crunch your wanting!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Pintrest website had a great recipe for using a potato sliced extremely (use a mandolin or great knife) and put in microwave with spray like Pam....
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    went to a girlfriend's house, and we just used sliced up veggies- cucumbers, carrots sliced the longer way (is it on the bias?), celery, etc.. at first I thought it would taste funny, but it really didn't, and was a nice new way to enjoy salsa!
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i am not on paleo
    but, there ARE paleo groups on MFP, that might have members with ideas you could use. Search for paleo in the 'search' feature in 'groups' page on MFP.

I use popcorn, or some dry cereal, or i will occasionally measure out some chips and spend some of my calories on chips.
  • delorispiper
    Options
    The brand is "Food Should Taste Good" multi-grain chips. They also have several other kinds of chips not made with potatoes.
  • brittbonshor
    brittbonshor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i like dipping green peppers into salsa.
  • msriel
    msriel Posts: 5
    Options
    I love bakes plantains really low in fat crunchy and tast great with hummas, salsas or even light dips :)

green bananas
    2 tsp oil, or oil-spray as required
    Salt to taste
    Spices to taste (I used chilli powder and coriander powder)

Method:

1. Cut the ends off the bananas and scrape the skin lightly with a vegetable peeler.

2. Slice into 1/4-cm thick rounds.

3. Heat the oven to 180C (350F).

4. In the meantime, toss the sliced bananas with some oil, or arrange them on a tray covered with non-stick baking paper, and spray with oil-spray.

5. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or so, then turn the slices over and spray them again.

6. Cook till the banana slices are crisp and brown (be careful that they dont burn).

7. Toss with spices of choice and let cool. Serve as a snack or as a side dish with any rice meal. Store in an airtight container.
  • shoomai1227
    shoomai1227 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Special K makes awesome cracker chips!! The only flavors I know of so far are Sea Salt and Sour Cream and Onion!!!
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The brand is "Food Should Taste Good" multi-grain chips. They also have several other kinds of chips not made with potatoes.

^ they also have sweet potato & bbq sweet potato that I fell in love with at first bite, unless you cant have any potatoes of any kind. You can always try Parm Crisp (baked parm cheese) you can add some variations like flax, jalepeno & dried cilantro for a ll' mexican flair with texture.
  • flowerlover5656
    Options
    There was a recipe on here this board ( Recipe Swap!) for quinoa cauliflower patties. Yum-0 they looked great you could top them with salsa as she had somekind of salsa on hers.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    most root veg are good for slicing and putting in the oven. I havent tried it yet but on our next movie night Im making sweet potato and carrot chips (known as crips over in the uk)
  • leeshac13
    leeshac13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love salsa on my backed potatoe!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I agree with plantain chips being a great substitute, or sweet potatoes if those are allowed.
  • NatNatToBeFit
    Options
    what about sweet potato or beets or fit you are doing dairy in your pale diet mix the salsa with a creamy type cheese and use for veggie dip
  • mercina22
    mercina22 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I get veggie chips from a local whole foods store, basically very thinly slices veggies like, carrots, blue potatoes, beets, yucca,green beans,zucchini, eggplant baked unitil crispy, sprinkled with a little salt a pepper. VERY yummy and a fraction of the cal/carbs. I have been hinting to the wife about getting me a mandlolin so i can start to make them myself using organic veggies.
  • welshgirl43
    Options
    There was a recipe on someone's blog the other day that was gorgeous and I have done this a few times. Have a small wheat and white deli wrap (mission) (40 calories) cut into eight pieces and spray with low cal spray and put into the microwave for 90 secs and let cool down for about 3-4 mins til crispy and serve with sweet chilli dip or salsa. Enjoy they are delicious.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    I saw a post where someone was munching on Kale chips. I googled the recipe and it looks easy.
  • downhomedixie13
    Options
    What about sweet potoates? Can you eat those? Tossed in a little oil with some seasoning baked at 400 degrees for 20-25 mins make for some tasty healthy fires\chips!
  • downhomedixie13
    Options
    I saw a post where someone was munching on Kale chips. I googled the recipe and it looks easy.

Mmm! Kale chips are very yummy!! :) They are pretty brittle though so I don't think it would hold up to salsa...
  • charris0312
    charris0312 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    pita chips are good...