what about when you can't lift, will EM2WL still work?

Options
I've got a frozen shoulder at the moment and I cannot do any weight lifting. I was doing bodypump and had started to try NROLFW but got a shoulder injury falling off my bike, and it' s just got worse and worse, the physio thinks it's turned into frozen shoulder.

I am doing cardio - cycling to and from work twice a week which is a 25 mile round trip, running once a week, walking my dog, and swimming once a week, which helps to loosen the shoulder up. I just took a diet break week, but have gone back down to 15% cut level.

I guess I could do things like squats to train my legs, but I can only do body weight because I can't carry a medicine ball or anything.

Will EM2WL still work for me if I am not lifting? It seems to be quite centred around lifting heavy, and I can't do that at the moment. I've never done lifting exclusively anyway because I do bike racing and have started to train for a triathlon next year. Or has anyone got any idea of resistance work I could still do with my shoulder as it is?

Replies

• Tahlij
    Tahlij Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - sprained wrist and I feel like I've totally lost all use of it, I had just started to get in to weights too..

Interested in others opinions..
  • BlondieBride
    BlondieBride Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position at the moment. I injured my elbow about 4 weeks ago and it still isn't better yet. I have still managed to do lower body work.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've read that it still works even if you're doing NO meaningful exercise. Just gotta make sure you're choosing the most appropriate activity level when you're figuring out your calories. I think where lifting comes in handy is when you're very short and close to goal, lifting build muscle (obviously) which weighs more than fat so it gets you heavier while making you LOOK tinier/trimmer/fit in smaller sizes...this is desirable because being heavier raises your TDEE so you can eat more and getting trimmer means you look toned & hot. For me being 5'1” once I got down to 120 my TDEE was pretty low so my calorie allowance was squat. I hated it. I'm almost 8 lbs heavier now but still wearing the same size I was 8 lbs ago. Plus I get to eat like a human. :)
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I've read that it still works even if you're doing NO meaningful exercise. Just gotta make sure you're choosing the most appropriate activity level when you're figuring out your calories.

She's right, it's a lifestyle not an activity level. You need to just pick the appropriate amount of food for your level of activity.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yup, when I was lifting, I could eat a lot and I was seemingly still getting thinner. Cardio isn't the same for building muscle, although arguably swimming and mountain biking seem to build more muscle than running or road cycling. But I'd rather just be doing cardio than nothing at all.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I m doing it and I am disabled so I cannot do weight lifting or really even walking! So far so good