MFP/fitbit adjustment: use all for exercise cals?

Options
trkinsley
trkinsley Posts: 124 Member
Hey there, newB again.

So, I did an insanity workout this AM that I know burned 480 cals by my HRM. I also use a fitbit, and MFP has adjusted me with over a 900 calorie exercise adjustment.... all I did was my normal daily stuff but I'm sort of a spazz and walk around a LOT.

Should I be using the number from the HRM as my exercise value to make sure I don't get below my BMR with my net calories, or the fitbit number?

Thanks all.

Tina

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    There is a glitch running with the sync from fitbit to MFP.
    Normally you are to use your stop watch feature on your fitbit, do you activity and then stop.. then you reocrd the activity in MFP, using your start time and the cals you burned using your HRM.
    What is supposed to happen, if MFP is to override the fitbit cals burned at that time, but something happened last week, and its no longer syncing.. its doubling.

There is a huge thread about it in the fitbit users group related to this. MFP and fitbit are working on it.

In the mean time, you can either unsync the two, or only use your fitbit cals burned during your activity as your number, or what I have been doing is seeing what fitbit gives me for my cals burned during that activity, and then see what my HRM gives me.. if the amount is close enough, I leave fitibit alone and just add the exercise in MFP as 1 cal burned.. if the cals on my HRM are higher, then I add the difference into MFP... this way then at least you dont get the doubling

Hope this helps
  • trkinsley
    Options
    That helps enormously. Thank you!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    The threads are:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/714911-fitbit-adjustment-out-of-whack
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/725497-adjustment-issues-resolved

And I'm getting to the point of unlinking my Fittbit, since the adjustments to MFP are just weird. My opinion, go with the HRM values.
  • trkinsley
    Options
    Thanks kendrafallon. I'm going to unlink it too. I had an adjustment of 310 this morning post insanity which made sense; I checked at work and suddenly it was 610!
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    i totally ignore the fitbit adjustment and just go with what my hrm tells me.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    There is also a fitbit users group for any questions & answers about the fitbit that you might have....I know it's helped me a bunch since getting mine last week..:happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
  • missdimpley
    Options
    same here.. I ignored what fitbit gives me. Apparently I do not have that problem. I add what I burn from HRM and they don't really add anything.. yes that happens last week.. but not lately? maybe I'm wrong? sometimes when I walk a lot, they add adjustment calories because of walk I had today or something like that.
  • fuzzyslipperz
    fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I JUST use what fitbit gives me and never log anything in manually. I'm always on the go, so I figure the little bump fitbit might give me for something silly will make up for the lack of calories counted in weight training. I 'net' BMR, which is roughly what the scooby numbers are for me after all the fitbit adjustments and this seems to be working for me.

Scooby says something like 2K for me at max activity on a cut (I'm always on the go, 25,000+ steps per day for the most part, and with eating 1900-2K I 'net' about BMR with the fitbit adjustment. If I fall much below BMR, I up the calories a bit.