1600-1700 calories a day

Options
fastforlife1
fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
I am curious if there are any baby boomers losing weight at 1600-1700 calories a day. That is what I have been averaging this week. With my hour of exercise a day, supposedly this brings me down to almost 1200 net calories which should give me a 2# weight loss per week. However, I have never eaten this many calories to lose weight. I want to know if anybody (over 45 yrs old female) has been consistently eating this much and losing weight.

Replies

• TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1100-1300 a day. I just started but so far I have lost 10 lbs.
  • gekcsk
    gekcsk Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I can't lose eating that much. 1200 is tops for me. And that is before exercise is figured in. Just the way my body works. It comes off slower as you get older I think. :frown:
  • wiggywompus
    wiggywompus Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have never lost eating that much, again 1200 is my goal. I suppose it depends how active you are during a normal day without adding in exercise - job where you sat all day or on feet/walking. I have read that you need fewer calories as you age but that was recently so have n't really any experience to go by yet.
  • mamawjoyce
    mamawjoyce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No i can't lose on that either,i am not the most active person anyway, yes its harder to lose the older we get.
  • fastforlife1
    Options
    I was really hoping you all would say 1700 calories! No problem the weight just came off - lol
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Grrrrl I am doing the crawl clawing off one to two pounds per week at 1200. high protein low carb.
  • fastforlife1
    Options
    Grrrrl I am doing the crawl clawing off one to two pounds per week at 1200. high protein low carb.
    You don't anything either Hiawatha because I've looked at your food diary.
  • fastforlife1
    Options
    I realize I've actually been losing 1.2#s a week at 1550 average. But I'm over 200#s and I am really physically busy in the summer with often over an hour of exercise a day. I am just realizing I need to be consistent over the long haul to get this weight off permanently. Last year I lost 13 #s in a month and put 13 #s back on in 2 months!
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    MFP has me set up for 1200 net calories to lose 1.1 pounds a week. With my exercise routines in place I'm burning between 400 and 600 a day walking or strength training. This sets my calorie needs up to 1700 or more for net calories!! I find myself eating between 1300 and 1500 and feeling full. so I don't eat back all my exercise calories.

Basically, the best way to focus on eating is to eat when you are hungry with good choices, and stop when you are full. Some days I'm eating more, others I eat less.

It does truly depend on your height, build, and ho much you have to lose. I'm only 5'1" with about 35 pounds to lose or so. I'm slightly active with a job here I stand all day with moderate to slow walking built in. so my base calorie level is only 1750 to start with according to MFP.

As I lose more weight and I adjust for that, my net calories will go up as I reach into the world of maintenance rather than loss. It really depends on what your goals are, where you started and where you are now.

Hang in there. You can do this!
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I shoot for net 1500 and no way lose two a wee more like one. But u factor in your height and build and musculature as well as exercise ad activity. I a five six but built like a viking. Extra wide shoulders still lots of muscle which burns more calories. If you have a petite build without lots of muscle and are relatively sedentary u willhave to set calories lower. Watch fat and carbs when you build your daily calorie intake get plenty of veggies. I eat on avg 5 cups veggies a day so i dont feel starved. Good luck.
  • hilary57
    Options
    My net is 1200 (based on a "sedentary" lifestyle) so I eat more when I do more, either exercise or house cleaning, etc. This is based on me wanting to lose no more than 2# a week. I quit eating wheat and corn, so I really have to work some days to get my calories.
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I donteat corn or corn products like tortilla chips,i do have wheat inwhole grain bread and soysauce, but I neverhave pasta now either.
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'll gain if I eat that much.