Is it a good idea to weigh yourself while on your period?

Options
Hi Guys,

I thought i would post this topic because I had a discouraging night last night. I have recently started training to lose weight. I started officlly about 2 weeks ago and aimed to lose between 1/2 to 1 ound a week. The first week went well i eased my self it and last 0.4 lbs. However, this week just gone, i worked out HARD, I ate less and i really just tried my utter best. However, I also started my period on Saturday 1st. I was due for a weigh in yesterday.

I weighed and found that the sacles said id gained a pound! I was gutted. I actually cried as i felt that i had worked out soo hard. I am also doing this traning with my borfirend and he had lost 4lbs! I was soo upset as we have done exactly the same thing. I never put 2 and 2 together and thought maybe it was my period and water retention happening.

I did somer research on the net and it seems you do gain weight during your period. Therefore I have planned to weigh myself again after its done.

Has anyone else experienced this too? Or am i just making excuses? I just felt that this is the only reason i can account for cause i have honestly worke out hard.

THOUGHTS ANYONE??

Thanks
xx

Replies

• soosweet1920
    soosweet1920 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I dont!! I till make you sad. Not worth it...just wait until the next week!
  • veraprice
    veraprice Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can gain up to five pounds of water weight while on before and after your period. Its hormonal .
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds daily. I weigh once weekly on Thursday morning when I wake up period or not. I just like to see how things are going. It won't completely destroy me if my weight is up on that day. I know what the likely cause is. ;)
  • chocobis09
    chocobis09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was about to post the same thing so glad you asked this question...I was about get upset myself
  • Queenie_O
    Queenie_O Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh Sweetie, the only reason to weigh yourself during your period is to feel better when you weigh yourself after it's done and see you've dropped 5-7 lbs. Otherwise, it just hurts your feelings. :(

Also, if you worked out really hard the previous week you're probably retaining even more water as your muscles repair.

Hang in there and feel better!
  • soosweet1920
    soosweet1920 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oh Sweetie, the only reason to weigh yourself during your period is to feel better when you weigh yourself after it's done and see you've dropped 5-7 lbs. Otherwise, it just hurts your feelings. :(

Also, if you worked out really hard the previous week you're probably retaining even more water as your muscles repair.

Hang in there and feel better!

Good point...I have realized when I work out hard I GAIN weight...it almost make me not want to work out because I want the numbers to go down!! I won't check the scale until my birthday though (In Oct) so hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised...this going to be hard lol.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Its not the best idea. But I do it anyway, just to see where I am and to document about how much I gain during that time. Im up 2-4lbs on mine. and then Im back down, sometimes even lower after. Especially if I had been working out the week before and during it.
  • jc501
    jc501 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea! I weigh right before and right after....water weight will make up mad!
  • jay1610
    jay1610 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can gain up to five pounds of water weight while on before and after your period. Its hormonal .

:laugh: I gain that through eating rubbish at that time as well as the water retention :sad: