I started TODAY!!

Options
Hello everyody! My husband found the StrongLifts program last week and we both completed our first workout today! We actually have memberships at Planet Fitness. But after reading so much about the ineffectiveness of the Smith machine, we got the 7 day trial passes at Gold's Gym and went to work! Of course, joining Gold's will mean a significant increase in our monthly gym membership fees. But we are really committed to giving this program our best effort and getting in the best shape possible. He just turned 51, I'll be 49 in January.

I am not new to weight lifting but this is my first time lifting heavy weights. So I'm really looking forward to seeing how it changes the composition of our bodies. We're also both trying to lose at least 80 pounds so we're working on eating clean too. I've already enjoyed all of the valuable advice and suggestions in the group. Glad to be a part! :happy:

Replies

• ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Welocme, I'm starting today too :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I'm 48 and have a similar amount to lose. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. It's great that your training with your husband. I train with my son and I find it very helpful to have somebody else with me to check my form. We ended up joining one of the cheaper gyms because it was the only one with a power rack. I hope you enjoy getting stronger!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! :smile: I am also doing this with my husband! It's nice to have the support. I can't wait to hear all about your progress!
  • valeriesh
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'm excited too! nd yes, it is great to have a workout buddy. But...that first workout really traumatized my husband! LOL Don't get me wrong, my legs are sore too. But I've been doing other workouts; he hasn't worlked out since February. And he thought that because we did squats with only the bar that it wouldn't be much to it. WRONG!! He is crying like a baby and wondering if he'll be able to do squats tomorrow morning! So yes, this should be an adventure. :-)

I sure wish we could find a cheape gym with the free weights we need. We're still searching. But if we can't find one by the end of this week, I guess we'll have to bite the bullet with Gold's.

Happy lifting everybody!
  • nightnurse2
    nightnurse2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    When I first started I read the deadlifts wrong and did 5x5! BIG mistake! I could hardly walk or sit for 2 days lol!
    Best of luck with it!
  • KitchenAbs
    Options
    I just started too and did 35kg squats, 15kg bench press and 20kg barbell rows. What kind of weight did you use? I'd like to see if I'm doing it heavy enough!

**EDIT** I just used the barbells with the weights already attached so these numbers do not have the extra weight of the olympian bar**
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    When I first started I read the deadlifts wrong and did 5x5! BIG mistake! I could hardly walk or sit for 2 days lol!
    Oh wow...you poor thing. Bet you'll never make that mistake again!

And yes, working out with the hubs is the best. I don't think I would have committed myself to this program quite like I have without him.
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'm excited too! nd yes, it is great to have a workout buddy. But...that first workout really traumatized my husband! LOL Don't get me wrong, my legs are sore too. But I've been doing other workouts; he hasn't worlked out since February. And he thought that because we did squats with only the bar that it wouldn't be much to it. WRONG!! He is crying like a baby and wondering if he'll be able to do squats tomorrow morning! So yes, this should be an adventure. :-)

I sure wish we could find a cheape gym with the free weights we need. We're still searching. But if we can't find one by the end of this week, I guess we'll have to bite the bullet with Gold's.

Happy lifting everybody!

Your profile says Bolling AFB. What about the base gym?? If not them, Andrews has 2 gyms - best of all they are FREE!! Traffic is a bear though.
  • valeriesh
    Options
    I just started too and did 35kg squats, 15kg bench press and 20kg barbell rows. What kind of weight did you use? I'd like to see if I'm doing it heavy enough!

**EDIT** I just used the barbells with the weights already attached so these numbers do not have the extra weight of the olympian bar**
  • valeriesh
    Options

We started with just the Olympic bar, which weighs 45 lbs.by itself, and added 20 lbs. for the row. So we both followed the 45, 45, 65 that the program recommends. And boy were we sore! We added 5lbs to everything yesterday, but I'm not as sore as I was. It's hard to imagine adding 5 lbs. every workout, but we'll see!
  • valeriesh
    Options

Happy lifting everybody!

Your profile says Bolling AFB. What about the base gym?? If not them, Andrews has 2 gyms - best of all they are FREE!! Traffic is a bear though.

Hmm... guess I need to look at my profile (I made it some time ago). I'm not sure why that is. We are not military so we don't have access to the base. But we live about 2 miles from Bolling. My sister is military but we certainly couldn't rely on her to get us on base 3X a week. I wish!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I have a question. I just did my first workout yesterday, with the 45/45/65 recommendation. I was not able to complete the 5x5 on any of the 3 exercises. I DID use the smith machine for squats and bench presses...

I KNOW that's bad. But I am scared (quite petrified, actually) to leave the womens area, and us lowly, weak women don't get a squat or a power rack. This means I would have to go out to the main area of the gym, and that thought alone makes me want to return to the 30 Day Shred.

I have actually been lifing for a while now - but I have not really been able to make any progress, or get any stronger. I always seem to get to failure before I *think* I should (I started with NROLFW). I have a sneaking suspicion that this is due to my form. Which is why I have set up an appointment with a personal trainer for next Wednesday. I am hoping he will MAKE me go to the racks and throw on some weight.

But, until I can have him watch and correct my form, should I continue TRYING, or should I just hold off until next week?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I would keep trying, maybe.

What do you feel like your point of failure is? What gets tired first? What part of each movement feels the most difficult?

I took me a little while to learn to push through when something got heavy - sometimes your brain will tell you "oh no, this is too heavy we need to stop" way before your body actually needs to stop.
  • rchupka87
    Options
    Well, on the squats, on the 5th set, 5th rep, I couldn't stand back up after I got into the squat. I was losing form, my feet were coming off the ground, I couldn't keep my knees straight, I just... couldn't get up. 5,5,5,5,4

On the Bench Press, same thing. Once I got it down, I couldn't push it back up... my arms were shaking, and I thought I was going to drop it on my head... On that one, I got 5, 5, 4,5,3.

On the Rows, by the 4th set, I couldnt lift the weight using just my arms... I was lifting completely up. Instead of staying bent over, my back was straightening, and my shoulders were rising... 5,5,5,4,2
  • ishtar13
    Options
    So you are losing form on the last few reps, but you are also able to lift the weight.

I'd stay at this weight for now because you can lift it.

If you fail 3x, you may want to drop the weight. For dropping it, you may need to use either preset barbells, a lighter barbell or dumbbells.

I bet, though, that by the 2nd or 3rd time, you'll get most, if not all, of the lifts.
  • ishtar13
    Options
    I just looked at my records. My first try looked like this:

Squat: 45 lb bar, 5 sets, 5 reps each
    Bench Press: 45 lb bar, 3 sets, 5 reps each, 1 set 4 reps, 1 set 3 reps
    Bent over barbell row: 30 lb bar, 5 sets, 5 reps

First time on overhead press:

Overhead Press - This was the first time I was trying this exercise. I tried it with the olympic (45 lb) bar, but I only did 3 reps and I think my form was off on the last rep. So, I went to the half-rack* and used the 30 lb bar. 4 sets of 5 reps. I'll go to 35 lbs next time.

So, I couldn't even row with the 45 lb bar to begin with, and it took a couple of tries to get to 5x5 on the bench.

While you're at the low weight, do pay attention to your form, and if your form is failing don't count the rep.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I started this week also!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I have a question. I just did my first workout yesterday, with the 45/45/65 recommendation. I was not able to complete the 5x5 on any of the 3 exercises. I DID use the smith machine for squats and bench presses...

I KNOW that's bad. But I am scared (quite petrified, actually) to leave the womens area, and us lowly, weak women don't get a squat or a power rack. This means I would have to go out to the main area of the gym, and that thought alone makes me want to return to the 30 Day Shred.

I have actually been lifing for a while now - but I have not really been able to make any progress, or get any stronger. I always seem to get to failure before I *think* I should (I started with NROLFW). I have a sneaking suspicion that this is due to my form. Which is why I have set up an appointment with a personal trainer for next Wednesday. I am hoping he will MAKE me go to the racks and throw on some weight.

But, until I can have him watch and correct my form, should I continue TRYING, or should I just hold off until next week?

I have never been scared of mucking in with the grunters (men's section)...I am not sure what would help you other than saying the usual everyone has to start somewhere and the guys actually are not looking at you (they do if you lift heavy and right though) in any kind of way (heck some of the guys are out of shape too). Maybe go with someone or get a male friend or trainer in the gym to spot you. Or even a female friend, if they are so inclined. At my gym if you need help, you just call one of the three or so gym hands to help (even if it is just to ask a question).

Are you eating enough? Stupid question, but if you aren't putting the calories in, the body will respond accordingly and let you know that the muscle does not have enough fuel to lift that heavy weight. I do not think (from personal experience) that you can make big strength gains and lean mass gains if you are not eating enough protein for one...it might be your state of mind, I kind of have to work myself up a little mentally to lift the heavier stuff...it might be your form...not sure, but the major thing I can see from your post is your fear to be in the men's section and hence the fear to lift heavy...we are strong women, we can lift heavy and it does wonders for our feminine bodies...
  • rchupka87
    Options
    I have never been scared of mucking in with the grunters (men's section)...I am not sure what would help you other than saying the usual everyone has to start somewhere and the guys actually are not looking at you (they do if you lift heavy and right though) in any kind of way (heck some of the guys are out of shape too). Maybe go with someone or get a male friend or trainer in the gym to spot you. Or even a female friend, if they are so inclined. At my gym if you need help, you just call one of the three or so gym hands to help (even if it is just to ask a question).

Are you eating enough? Stupid question, but if you aren't putting the calories in, the body will respond accordingly and let you know that the muscle does not have enough fuel to lift that heavy weight. I do not think (from personal experience) that you can make big strength gains and lean mass gains if you are not eating enough protein for one...it might be your state of mind, I kind of have to work myself up a little mentally to lift the heavier stuff...it might be your form...not sure, but the major thing I can see from your post is your fear to be in the men's section and hence the fear to lift heavy...we are strong women, we can lift heavy and it does wonders for our feminine bodies...

Thanks! I actually eat at about 300 over my BMR, plus I eat back my exercise calories. On rest days, that ends up at about 1900 cals, and on workout days, 2100 - 2400 caories. I shoot for around 120g of protein daily, or 1g for every pound of lean body mass I have. I decided to hold off on progessing until I know I have my form right. I don't want to risk getting injured or having to regress, and then work back up. I have my first session with my personal trainer tonight, and I am going to tell him that I need to get to the squat rack, so unless they plan on putting one in the womens area, he is going to have to march my happy *kitten* over there, and show me how to do it. Once I do it once, I think I will be fine. For me, it was more a matter of walking over, and not knowing how to use the equipment, more than people watching me. Once I get the hang of it, I don't think I'll have any problems.