Last truly great book you read?

Options

Replies

• Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon! HUGE books that have covered over 25 years (so far) in the lives of Claire & Jamie Fraser. I've read the 7 current books many times and am anxiously awaiting the publication of book #8 - hopefully it will be released in the Fall of 2013... She has to finish writing it first - LOL
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I finished reading "Tuesdays With Morrie" with my son (in preparation for his English course next year). Really enjoyed it and am so glad I opted to read it with him since it was one of those books I'd always wanted to read.
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Am I the worst person ever because I haven't read The Hunger Games?

As for the last truly great book that I've read... that's a hard one. I recently read a copy of a book called "Monkey Mind" that I won off of Goodreads that was a pretty brilliant portrayal of a man who grew up with and still copes with a pretty strong anxiety disorder. (I love memoirs.)

Summertime usually leaves me reading more trashy beach novels. I don't know why, considering I've only gone to the beach once all summer.
  • jubeesh
    jubeesh Posts: 156
    Options
    -The Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson... They are really good, but if you like the TV series you may not want to read the books.
    -A Cook's Tour, Medium Raw and Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.
    -The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. They were hysterical and so hard to put down. I think I read all 18 of them in 2 weeks.
    I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them at the moment :)
  • ruhruh1979
    ruhruh1979 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I loved Divergent and Insurgent, but someone recommended Unwind by Neal Shusterman, and that was an awesome book. Unwholly (sequel) comes out next week and I'm really excited about it.

Flowers in the Attic (series) is on my reread list at all times. It is what started my love of reading.

Gone With the Wind is a great book. So much more than the movie, and I love the movie.

Read The Thorn Birds back in April and that was an amazing story. I'm reading it again with a read along on another forum.

OH, and just for fun, I love Paradise by Judith McNaught. It's like an old friend for me. If I can't decide what I want to read, I start rereading. lol
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Revolution by Jennifer Donnely, although I am re reading the Harry Potter series at the minute and that's always a good read :L
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I just got into China Meiville. Have only read Un Lun Dun, but he is brilliant. Gotta read more... This is a month after I found Neil Gaiman and read about 5 of his in one month.
  • LakeRhode
    LakeRhode Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon! HUGE books that have covered over 25 years (so far) in the lives of Claire & Jamie Fraser. I've read the 7 current books many times and am anxiously awaiting the publication of book #8 - hopefully it will be released in the Fall of 2013... She has to finish writing it first - LOL

Love the series also! I follow her on Facebook and heard the series was picked up for TV... hope it goes through! Love Jamie and Claire
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    If you enjoyed he Molokai book you may like the nonfiction book The Colony by John Tayman.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Just finished Tuesday's Child by Fern Michael's.Planning to read 1984 next. I'll read anything!
  • mandamae1658
    mandamae1658 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i really love the book Home Before Dark by Susan Wiggs
  • Doxeydoxie
    Options
    World War Z by Max Brooks
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman. It was one of those books that as soon as I finished I wanted to turn to the first page and start it again.

I love Alice Hoffman. Her writing is so magical.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just got into China Meiville. Have only read Un Lun Dun, but he is brilliant. Gotta read more... This is a month after I found Neil Gaiman and read about 5 of his in one month.

I read most of the The City and The City (before life distractions happened and I forgot to finish it). It was a really fascinating concept
  • jonbobfrog
    Options
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book of Lost Things by John Conolly

Matched by Ally Condie

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Just finished XO by Jeffrey Deaver.It was awesome!
  • tcoxchristmas
    tcoxchristmas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Uncharted by Angela Hunt.
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This series has been on my list for a while. Guess I'm going to have to bump it up. I know several people who've read and recommend it. Gonna have to see if I can get it on audio book from my library. I have an hour commute, each way, and "reading" makes the drive fly by!!!

Love the series also! I follow her on Facebook and heard the series was picked up for TV... hope it goes through! Love Jamie and Claire
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Some great suggestions for my next Book Club meeting!
    I also enjoyed The Book Thief, and the Game of Thrones book 1. Am currently reading the second book.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I absolutely adored "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children." It was fantastic. And I liked the first three books in the Song of Ice and Fire series, although the fourth one was a little wah-wahhhhh. :ohwell: