why do the bulletproof coffee?

I saw someone suggest bulletproof - I had never heard of it so I started looking online for it. I can find tons of recipes, tons of chat boards like this explaining it but no major paleo websites discussing its benefits - just chat rooms.

Can anyone push me in the right direction for some more info?

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    I've seen a lot of rave about it. I really want to try it. Someone posted a recipe at one time. Hopefully they'll post it again. I'll try to find it.
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Here ya go!
    http://www.bulletproofexec.com/how-to-make-your-coffee-bulletproof-and-your-morning-too/

Blending it is pretty essential, as I did not realize the first few times I made it. Otherwise, you'll have oil and butter sitting on top of your coffee, which isn't all that bad, but once you've had it blended, it's hard to go back to it ;)

I would do this on days I wanted to go longer without eating. Dave Asprey explains how to use it to "fast".

If you 're using MCT oil for the first time, be careful! I thought I should have been pretty well fat adapted, having been paleo sometime before I even tried Bulletproof coffee, and the first time I made it with the MCT oil (used coconut oil a while before I broke down and bought it) it gave me mild stomach cramps and um, bathroom issues. lol Nothing that was too big of a deal, but unexpected!
  • KBGirts
    Thanks!!! I couldn't find it!
  • KBGirts
    Is it good iced? I am really loving iced coffee right now and it's so hot in Georgia that it can be difficult to drink hot coffee.... even in the morning. I would think that the fats/oils would separate if it's cold.
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    I've been drinking my coffee with MCT oil and pastured, organic butter for a couple of weeks now. This is really helping me to get my good fats in. Also, if I don't work out in the morning, one bulletproof coffee without anything else carries me easily through to lunch...but if I work out in the morning, I do need some extra nourishment.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    had one today as a matter of fact. Kept me supercharged until late afternoon. Never tried it iced - not sure that would work. I do like it with the Kerrygold. Make sure to use good beans, arabica if you can't afford the bulletproof grounds themselves.

I either do heavy protein or a bulletproof most mornings.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Iced is definitely NO BUENO...unless you wanna chew on chunks of cold oil/butter. I thought cold would be a good idea too with the heat...but nope. Though I just got a vitamix and I wonder if it would blend the chunks out..hmmmm

I like it mornings when I don't have time to make breakfast, or I'm too lazy to eat breakfast, or if I'm doing sort of an IF (eating only between 1p-8p)...definitely keeps me satisfied until 1p when its time to eat
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Having mine as I type this. I use 1tbs of Kerrygold unsalted butter and 1 tbs coconut oil and blend it!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Is it good iced? I am really loving iced coffee right now and it's so hot in Georgia that it can be difficult to drink hot coffee.... even in the morning. I would think that the fats/oils would separate if it's cold.

Both butter and coconut oil are solid at room temperature, so....
  • wiginn
    I finally found a local store with kerrygold - yummm!!!
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    I've been making the coffee with reg. beans, I am using folgers......is anyone actually using the real bulletproof beans?
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    I've been making the coffee with reg. beans, I am using folgers......is anyone actually using the real bulletproof beans?

It's overrated IMO. I just buy organic italian roasted coffee beans from Amazon and it does the job (5lbs for $40ish). Folgers might taste bad compared to the coffee beans that I have. It depends on how much you would want to spend on the coffee beans.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    I think it's mostly to help people hit their fats target and stay sated.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    I think it's mostly to help people hit their fats target and stay sated.

No, it is for the energy and being able to stay full for a long period of time.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    I'll be trying pulletproof tomorrow. What is the benefit of using MCT oil instead of coconut oil?
  • wiginn
    I'll be trying pulletproof tomorrow. What is the benefit of using MCT oil instead of coconut oil?

From the bulletproofexec website: "Coconut Oil is 60%-65% MCT Oil. However, it is only 15% of the better MCT's whereas straight MCT oil has much higher quantities of Caprylic and Capric acid." Takes 6TB of Coconut Oil to get the benefits of 1TB of MCT Oil.

This week, I have started using 1TB MCT Oil and 1/2 TB of Coconut Oil.
  • MCT oil is also theoretically easier to digest.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Thanks guys! I ordered my MCT oil yesterday and should have it next week.

My coffee is currently brewing for my first go at bulletproof....
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    I use MCT and ghee right now for my recipe while I'm doing Whole30. I've got to let you know that you should heed the warnings on starting slow on MCT (directions on the bottle says so) because the first few times, it gave me an upset stomach. I also like to throw in some coconut milk and some cinnamon to give it an even better taste.