LowER carb diet and dairy...Your thoughts?

Options
lulabellewoowoo
lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
I have spent the last 6 weeks cutting out processed foods and grains, but am "addicted" to my greek yogurt and cheese. I have been keeping my NET carbs between 80 to 100. For my next six weeks, I am going to aim for TOTAL carbs of <80 with a NET carb around 50-55. But I have read varying ideas on the effect that dairy products might have on weight/fat loss. I'd love to hear your guys thoughts and any advice. THANKS:)

Replies

• vintagebrighton
    Options
    Dairy stalls some people so I guess you just have to work out what's best for your body. I eat a lot of dairy as I don't eat meat but have to admit, my consumption of yummy double cream will have to be pulled back soon as my weight loss slows :grumble:

But, without dairy I couldn't low carb. Greek yoghurt and cheese are something I eat loads... and soya yoghurt. I don't count net carbs though only total.

I guess what I'm saying is track what happens and adjust accordingly :laugh:

Edited to add... feel free to look at my diary if you like, it's open.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could cut out cheese. I use it on everything, from my salad to my meats to my eggs. It doesn't seem to effect me. I would just try it and see.
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Dairy stalls me. I tried to add daily heavy cream to my 1-2 oz cheese a day, and I stalled. I have cheese EITHER on my salad, or my eggs, or melted over some pan fried chicken. Once or twice a week I'll have heavy cream. Sigh, that's how it's gonna go till I get much closer to goal. One thought, if you drop your carbs, perhaps you can afford more cheese? BTW, hard cheeses dont affect me nearly as much as cream/milk/soft cheese.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess it is just a trial and error for each person. My "milk/cream" is mostly almond or coconut milk, but I love my cheese "chips" (cooking shredded reduced fat cheese until it is nice and crispy) and my greek yogurt. Need to find other quick go-to snacks that are non-dairy to give myself variety.
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have spent the last 6 weeks cutting out processed foods and grains, but am "addicted" to ........

I've read it often, that those foods we feel addicted to, are often the vary foods that are our triggers, allergergens or are digestion problems for us.

There really is no single food that you can't live without. It is a mental dependency. Maybe you should try cutting out these foods to see if there is a physical component also. It could be that you find that you feel better without these foods. Or maybe not, but you will not know if you never try.

You can be eating something that really does make you feel poorly, but after years of gradually developing the condition you just don't realize it. It snuck up on you so slowly that you didn't notice. Once you clear yourself of these conditions and then reintroduce that food you might notice a big reaction.
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight following the primal blueprint while keeping my carbs very low. less than 30 a day and eating dairy...... Just recently, I cut out dairy and I have noticed my skin is drastically clearer. I think you just need to self experiment and find something that works for you. Good luck!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Experiment I guess .
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I always get less than 30 carbs a day and usually less than 20, and I still think cheese stalled me. Not to mention how easy it is to overeat, since so many calories hide in bite size servings.

In fact, I've decided to either cut it out completely or cut way down, unfortunately.

But I'm sure some people out there don't have to go to quite such extremes. I'm just a slow loser. I haven't been out of ketosis once since I started checking, yet I still struggle and stall.