Well….EMTWL is working for me. (Picture heavy)

Options
Yanicka1
Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
I am sure you have seen it, people that say eating more to weigh less is bullpoopoo, since eating more is what made them fat in the first place, and swear that 1200 calories or less has no negative impact and it work for them…..end of story.

I am not here to tell anyone how to lose weight and get healthy…..I can only tell you what work for me.
In October 2010, I gave birth to my 4th surrogate baby, a precious little girl, into the arms of her parents. It was a bit of a rough end of pregnancy with gestational diabetes and high blood pressure but she was out and she was healthy. 3 days after giving birth, my blood pressure started being uncontrollable and I was DX with pre-eclampsia. It usually happens before giving birth but I like to do things my way. After spending 5 days in the hospital, hooked to so many beeping machines and scared to death of leaving my own kids without a mom, I was released home and more than ever convinced that I wanted to be healthy. My high blood pressure had nothing to do with my weight but I never feel that sick in my life if I can help it.

6030453097_49b6a13ce9.jpg
IMG_2717 by yanicka, on Flickr

On November 11th 2010, I logged on MFP for the first time. Like everyone else and their cousins, I was put on 1200 calories a day. I also started 30DS and C25K. The results didn’t wait and lost 15 pounds in the first 3 months, I also lost my will to live……ok ok it was not that bad LOL but I was low in energy and high in irritability. The worst part is that, while I lost weight….it didn’t change my shape. I was a smaller version of my fat self. So I was miserable, hungry, irritable and still soft…..that was not good, I had to find a better way.

6244928159_bbcc74efd8.jpg
dan,kids party, liam poop , lucie dogs 037 by yanicka, on Flickr

I started reading and researching, I knew that 1200 calories were not enough so my first step was to up those to 1400-1500 calories a day. It was a lot better but my weight loss was very slow and has been ever since. Then in the summer of 2011, I ordered the book “the new rules of lifting for women” Upped my calories again to 1600 on days I didn’t lift and 1900 on days I did. Let me tell you, that fist day in the big boy part of the gym was intimidating. There was no way for me to blend it!!! But I faked confidence and did my things. It was pretty much love at first rep!!! The first 6 weeks, I lost a total of 6 inches but the scale didn’t move. I didn’t care since I was looking better and better.

For 6 months, I did the program, ate my calories and saw no changes on the scale or on the measuring tape. I do not know if it because I am stubborn or stupid, but even with the lack of results I just did the program…..and I am glad I did. What I learned is that the tools I was using were the problem….not my body. I was also feeling so much better!!!!

By the time February came around, I was done with the new rules and it was time to try to shed my last 10 pounds so I lowered my calories back to 1400…..mistake….bad bad mistake. In that month I had a cold from hell, my lifting got horrible, I had headaches, mood swings, my cycle turned into a 3 weeks affaire. I was not having fun. I also lost 5 pounds but at a very high price. I then went back to maintenance for a month then did another cut cycle. I had plan for a 1 month cut cycle but didn’t last a week. This is when I contacted Kiki because I was very lost and I trust her judgment. I really wanted to lose the last 10 pounds. We calculated my TDEE (2000 calories!!!) -15% (1700 calories!!!!) and to try that.
Try that I did!!!
First…..yay…food!!!!!
Second yay…..food!!!!
My running got better, my lifting got better and best of all, my body was changing.
But but but you ask…..what about the scale? Well it stayed the same. In fact….in the 20 months I have been doing this, I lost 15 pounds in the first 3 months, than 5 pounds in the other 17 months. Let just say that view from the outside, it is hardly impressive!!!!
From my own point of view…… I am in the best shape of my life, I feel sexy, lifting give me strength….muscular for sure but also mental and emotional strength…..and that makes the number on the scale insignificant.

7760794254_8171c8c7e9.jpg
SAM_1657 by yanicka, on Flickr

11614737_6675.jpg

11614737_2272.jpg

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You rock. I hope those outside of EM2WL see this, too. :heart:
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I admire you.
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    Good for you! Great fantastic fabulous!!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You're a rockstar and have always been one of my MFP heroines Yanicka :love:

I've just had a health scare and need to properly work on lowering by body fat, and you've helped inspire me to do it properly :flowerforyou:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Seeing one of your earlier posts inspired me to start lifting in March (probably the best thing I could have done). And seeing this, as I struggle now with that damn scale, I am once again inspired to keep plugging away.

You are awesome!!
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You are amazing Yanicka! (even more so with being so wonderful to have given 4 couples the gift of life through your body).
    Thank you so much for sharing your story.... I am guilty of wanting to lower my cals lately because of the damn scale... I am in Stage 3 of NROL4W, I know my body needs time to change and your post has confirmed for me that I need to see this through without letting the scale be my boss.... Ironically our story is much alike, I lost 15lbs in the first three months of MFP (low cals of course) .... and since then (8 months later) only a further 2lbs....I'm eating more to fuel my workouts and keep headaches and crankiness away! But I know my body looks different and it will keep changing with time. PATIENCE is a virtue.... just not a given, hehe.
    Thank you for this, it was exactly what I needed! :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • AngelDog1
    Options
    What an amazing journey! Thank you for sharing your story. You look great!!!!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You are fabulous and oh so cute!
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Oh YEA!!!

Awesomeness : )
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Amazing story! 6 or 7 days ago I increased my calories and I feel so much better. Your story reinforces that I made the right decision. I'm also not seeing much movement on the scale but my clothing is looser :)
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! Thanks for sharing.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,986 Member
    Options
    Congrats! The proof, as always, is in the pudding....or, in your case, in the gym....
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. You look amazing!! Am feeling frustrated and unsure of the process, but am trying to hang in there b/c of stories like yours. You give me hope!
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    ..you look amazing...and with having PCOS...
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I love your story! Anks for the inspiration, you look fabulous!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Fantastic :)
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I just started EM2WL last month and have begun NROL. Your story is inspiring.:smile:
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Well done! :flowerforyou:
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!!
    Just like you, for me the man cave was love at first rep (even though it took me months to walk in, lol).
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    That's awesome.

There have been so many "this doesn't work" posts lately, I was feeling discouraged. You made me feel better.

And how wonderful you are for giving parents such a wonderful gift, by carrying a baby for them. That is amazing!

Finally, I also got the ecclampsia post-partum. Mine was full blown after the birth of my third son. I had a seizure in my living room, nearly scared my husband to death.

Again, thanks for posting this!