wheat flu and headaches

Options
Im new to paleo - day 3 today. I have had a MASSIVE headache for 2 days now and today have NO energy and just want to curl up - I feel so blah...

How long does this normally last? Is there anything I can do to make it go faster?

Im seriously reconsidering my timing. I have a half marathon this Saturday. Its my first half that Im running by myself and dont have a friend to push me along. I cannot imagine doing it feeling like I do right now. Im wondering if I need to incorporate more foods until after the race then deal with the withdrawl part. I know I will feel better when its passed...

Replies

• divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Day 3 is usually the turning point. You should feel pretty good by Saturday. Hang in there!
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I went to bed at 8pm I was so tired yesterday! Not good for someone who works full time AND goes to school full time! I'm optimistic that I'll be fine after the weekend but I am trying the bulletproof coffee tomorrow to see if it helps. I"ll be sure to let you know!
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof coffee is your med for this issue.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It seems like it varies from person to person. Most people feel better within the first week, but some authors say it can take up to a month to get through the carb flu.
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    I know how you feel. For me the carb flu kicked in around day 5 and lasted about three days where I was very much less than 100%. Maybe you could incorporate some additional fruits to up your carbs without going back to wheat and grain production? For some people apples help reduce headaches; if my sister catches the warning signs early enough a medium sized apple will actually prevent her from getting a full blown migraine. Plus they say an apple is a more effective energy boost than a small coffee.

It'll get better, and you'll definitely feel better once the initial detox is over. Good luck on your race this weekend; if you were local I'd come out and cheer you on!
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you have a race on Sat you may want to up the carbs in the form of some fruits (bananas are good here but you do not want to overdo it, also and any kind of berry), otherwise chances are you will not be up to full by then. I wouldn't go back to the grains as you will find this makes things worse. A bit of caffeine can also help. I regular black tea has about 20% of the caffeine of coffee - but if you are used to caffeine you may need regular coffee.

I do not do squash, but you may want to consider some winter squash or pumpkin as well, some carbs with out the sugars or grains.