Walking Vs Running

Options
Good morning everyone,

How has everyones week been so far? Great and healthy I hope :D I had a thought yesterday during my PT session and thought I would put it to everyone on here.

Do you think that it is possible for someone to be a walker instead of a runner? Or for someone to have been a runner earlier in their lives and then have it flip on them? I guess I should probably explain what I mean with a little history of myself.

When I was young, I was a fantastic runner. I could literally run all day and never get tired. Every Cross Country, Fun Run, spints, middle distance running, Athletics comp or whatever at school, I would not necessarily win them all, but I was always up there with the top group. I would jog the 4km to school everyday, play every sport I could at school and jog home again at the end of the day. Then back out for more running round after school such as footy or basketball training. And this was all the way up to the time I was about 20.

Then I piled on the weight, got gigantic (145kg at one point) and never exercised. But then I lost the weight, managed to be able to run enough (about 2.4km in 10m23s) but that was about it. Stopped running again and now I seem to have lost the ablilty to run. But I can walk like a champion.

I walk 2.5km to work everyday and it takes me between 17 and 19 minutes while carryin between 5 and 10kg in a pack on my back. I walk all over work for various things, I walk 40 mins during the day at work for PT (doing an average of 5.3km in that 40 mins) then walk home at the end of the day taking about the same time. At night I walk another 40 mins for about the same average distance. I have even managed to walk 5km in 31m11s at work for the Friday morning PT session, which is the fastest I have heard of at work to date. I even beat some of the people that jogged the 5km.

But for the life of me, I seem to have lost the ablilty to run. I have tried many times but do you think I can? I figured that if I can walk 5km in that time, surely I could possibly jog it in at least the same time. But no. I get about 10 mins into it and I feel like dying. And this confuses me.

So is it possible that I am jsut no longer capable of running anymore? Am I just a walker or should I just keep at it and see what happens?

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    if you can walk that fast you can run.

I use to be a runner when I was younger, like you, loved it, then I got fat, and hated it.

I started running again last year, and now I love it.

What part of it do you hate? once you find out what part you hate about it you can work from there.
    For example do you hate it cause your legs hurt - shin splints?
    Do you hate it cause your lungs feel like they are bursting - cardio?
    Once you pin point the exact reason why you hate it you can go from there.

It is totally possible to run again. There are more benefits from running imo than from walking. But if you want to stay walking, then stay walking.
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Maybe try c25k? You are a quick walker!
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You walk faster than I jog.... And I have long legs, well done! I just started the c25k last week and jogged for the first time in my life (thought I was going to die!) If you can't run anymore for various reasons then keep walking you're obviously setting a good pace and getting your heart rate up =)
  • tmbolt
    tmbolt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your walking at that pace then your getting your heart rate up to your fat burning zone and if you can keep it in that zone for the majority of the walk then you'll burn fat faster.

Running is good but not everyone can do it or enjoy it.

Remember as a kid you have a never ending source of energy and to compare what you were like 15 years ago to now is crazy. Health, hormones, injuries, diet, lifestyle... all these things change over that period of time. I was never a runner as a teenager my sport was swimming. I now prefer to run than swim. When I first got into running I discovered that from my job that requires me to sit a lot I have a very week core so bit of physio and pilates helped get that sorted so I was able to run. Slow and steady if you get back into it.

But ultimately, do what feels right.
  • JWmovin4ward
    JWmovin4ward Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm no runner by any means, I'm totally new to it couldn't even do it as a kid.... But i know that 10min in feeling where you feel like you are going to die.... that sounds like the 2-3km mark which I dread.... but once I push past it the rhythm starts to form.

You used to run, so you know you can do it... maybe try pushing past that 10 min mark a little more each time & see if you can find the spot where the rhythm kicks in & you no longer feel like you are going to die...

Worst case scenario you are a really fast walker & there is nothing wrong with that! :-D
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    I think so. I've never felt comfortable with running (not a weight related thing at all, purely a running thing). I don't think my body is compatible with running. I actually can't do anything jolting (running, too much jumping) because of my back and joint issues. So no, not everyone can run .... but I can walk and walk and walk :-)
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you are not used to the climate up there maybe that is effecting you. I find humidity wipes me out. I become lethargic when it is hot and muggy but I feel the opposite in dry heat.
  • miscje1985
    Options
    I actually downloaded an app on to my phone the other day that gives you "workouts" you can do! one of them is called the beginner 5km, in which it works you up to running/jogging 5km, I'm only a week in but its working so far, doing little jogs throughout the exercise as it commands. I can't remember the app name atm but will let ya know if your interested :)