Caffiene?

Options
On my food guide for gastric bypass, it tells me to avoid caffeine and carbonated drinks. The carbonation I understand, but does anyone know when I'll be able to have caffeine again? I sure do miss having a cup of coffee once in a while or other teas or crystal light that has caffeine... I'm about 5 weeks post op of Gastric Bypass.

Replies

• mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was told I could have coffee 1 month post-op, no more than 2 cups a day. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old so you better believe I get those 2 cups in. LOL. I tried the Crystal Energy after surgery and I got awful headaches after drinking it and it made me sick to my pouch. Hope this helps.
  • rachelboddy
    rachelboddy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This does help, thank you!! I'll stay away from the crystal light caffeine packets then!
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I can drink about 1-2 cups a day and I am 6 months out!
  • JfMarrs
    JfMarrs Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My doctor said no coffee or for that matter caffeine for 6 months after surgery since caffeine is an irritant and can cause problems with the healing of the pouch. After 6 months they recommend no more than 1 cup per day of coffee. The thing that worries me about coffee is that I drank it with cream and sugar and since my calories are so limited now, I don't want to waste the calories by drinking them. I used to be a coffee nut and drink at least 3 large Dunkins a day but I have been off it for almost a year now and no longer miss it since my overall energy level is so much higher now anyways.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    decaf................with milk and sweetener?

I use Silk, 1 tsp french vanilla, and find I don't need the sweetener for it!

Coffeemate is okay too!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I waited about 6 months. I'm a coffee-addict. I drink about 8 cups a day. My surgeon does not want us drinking it because he says it can increase appetite.
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am about five weeks out from Bypass and I can have coffee as long as it is decaf. I was allowed to have coffee at four weeks.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that it is an appetite stimulant. My doctor basically said we can have a cup or two (at 2 months post i think), but since it is a diuretic we need to add equal amounts of water to our daily intake to replace what is lost.
  • kazanshell
    kazanshell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The main issue I think is that it is a stomach irritant because its so acidic. since you've gone through a lot do you really want to endanger your pouch/stomach? Sure you may not get symptoms right away but down the line...and it may not be your stomach-it could be your esophagus or what is left of your GI tract, Just something to consider.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Coffee is also gets things moving and helped get things moving for me when my iron supplements were stopping everything up. I have to be on 60mg or iron a day.
  • _kim68_
    _kim68_ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's funny that we are told many different things. My NUT said to stay away from it for 3 months because caffeine is a diuretic. Since dehydration and trying to get our fluids in is a struggle for many post ops we really don't want diuretic effects.
  • smokeywolf57
    Options
    the day after I had my surgery for breakfast I had coffee, broth, jello and my protein shake.my doc said there wasn't a problem with my drinking coffee as long as it was decaf.

I have 1-2 cups of decaf coffee a day and my surgery was 5-9-12.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    They didn't tell me one way or the other...or I forgot...but I drink it. I am a Starbucks addict and I *love* Click protein powder. I have it everyday/
  • don666car
    don666car Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    DE CAFE COFFEE IS FINE THE REG OR WITH CAFFINE IS WAY BAD IT WILL GIVE YOU A ULCER DONE THE ROAD IT CAN BE DRANK BUT YOU WILL PAY BIGTIME DOWN THE ROAD DISMISS IT FROM YOUR LIFE I HAVE DECAF WAS "FAKE COFFEE"TO ME BEFORE NOW ITS JUST MY COFFEE WATCH ALL OTHER CAFFINE RICH SUCH AS ICE TEA I BY THE DECAF TYPE FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFO
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am going to ask about this at my pre-surg session on Wednesday. The info packet is a bit fuzzy, says you can have coffee rigfht away but no milk or cream...wonder if soy or almond milk is OK and they are only referring to cows milk? or is it no milks of any kind....still have lot's of questions I will be asking them about.
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For me, the no milk was to break our sugar addiction! We could use milk in a quiche type meal, but not to "sweeten' our coffee.
  • sapl31
    sapl31 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dietician and/or doc. My doc sound some caffeine after 3 months. I was told one problem is the diuretic quality in caffeine. In the beginning you have to work hard to get in enough fluids do to the small pouch size and can easily become dehydrated. The caffeine could be enough to dehydrate you. I got there due to some other problems and you don't want that.
  • miss_erynn
    Options
    My post-surgery booklet (a.k.a. the bible) says no caffeine for 3 months after surgery.
    It doesn't bother me whatsoever....

everyone is different after surgery, just remember that!