Getting Respect in the Weight Room

Options
MyOwnSunshine
MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
When I first started venturing into the weight room at the beginning of Stage 1, I felt very out of place and just tried to stay out of everyone's way and not draw attention to myself. As the stages have progressed, I've become much more comfortable and feel like I have a sense of purpose.

I go at the same times and see a lot of the same people every time I lift -- there's definitely a core group of lifters who are always there and working hard. Other people kind of come and go and drift through and do random stuff. There are a few pairs of guys who spot each other and chat, but mostly everyone just wears headphones and lifts.

Today, in the middle of my workout, one of the regular lifters (one of the guys who looks like he is smuggling cantaloupes in his shirt sleeves) motioned for me to take my headphones off. I thought he was going to tell me I was doing something wrong, or ask to work in. Instead, he told me that he is really impressed with my workouts and he has never seen a woman in the weight room who works harder than I do. He was really complimentary about the heavy weights and different lifts that I do (and the fact that I'm always dripping with sweat and working hard), and then he said, "Most women just wander around and talk, but they should take notes on what you're doing, because it's really paying off."

I really, really love this program! For anyone who is having a hard time taking that first step into the weight room, just do it. This program is the real deal, and if you follow it, you will be amazed at your progress and confidence as you move through the stages.

Replies

• RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    I am so happy you got props like that!! I had something like that happen today and I was floored :) Bask in this awesomeness :) You are a rock star!!
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Thats actually really cool! You are my idol!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sunshine! This is awesome! Love, love, love it when experienced lifters recognize a soul mate!
  • sophie288
    sophie288 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How awesome!!! I can't wait to get started.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I kind of wish I had worked up the nerve to do it in the gym so I could show off my progress. There's no one to see it at home except me...lol.

Good for you!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    That is really awesome! Go you!
  • pennstatealum2000
    Options
    Wow! What a great compliment!!
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    It's nice to get some external affirmation, isn't it?

At our gym, there seem to be a good number of serious women lifters. I'll never be a stand out.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    When I first started venturing into the weight room at the beginning of Stage 1, I felt very out of place and just tried to stay out of everyone's way and not draw attention to myself. As the stages have progressed, I've become much more comfortable and feel like I have a sense of purpose.

I go at the same times and see a lot of the same people every time I lift -- there's definitely a core group of lifters who are always there and working hard. Other people kind of come and go and drift through and do random stuff. There are a few pairs of guys who spot each other and chat, but mostly everyone just wears headphones and lifts.

Today, in the middle of my workout, one of the regular lifters (one of the guys who looks like he is smuggling cantaloupes in his shirt sleeves) motioned for me to take my headphones off. I thought he was going to tell me I was doing something wrong, or ask to work in. Instead, he told me that he is really impressed with my workouts and he has never seen a woman in the weight room who works harder than I do. He was really complimentary about the heavy weights and different lifts that I do (and the fact that I'm always dripping with sweat and working hard), and then he said, "Most women just wander around and talk, but they should take notes on what you're doing, because it's really paying off."

I really, really love this program! For anyone who is having a hard time taking that first step into the weight room, just do it. This program is the real deal, and if you follow it, you will be amazed at your progress and confidence as you move through the stages.

AWESOME! A couple weeks ago I had a guy offer to help me clean up someone else's messy squat rack with 6 45lb discs left on it. I said, "No, thanks" and removed two of the plates with no problem. He actually laughed and said, "looks like you can take care of yourself!" :laugh:
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    Hell yes.
    Way to rock that $#!T.
    Being strong and powerful is the way to be.

Congrats on the compliments.
    To impress those regular crazy lifter guys is awesome.

(:
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i LOVE IT!!!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Sunshine, that's great! I especially like that he spoke you as a peer rather than "the little woman". Guys sometimes think we can't do what they do!

That is awesome! I kind of wish I had worked up the nerve to do it in the gym so I could show off my progress. There's no one to see it at home except me...lol.

Good for you!

I work out at home too. It's nice to have someone see your progress and speak on it but you have to know there's nothing better than putting more and more weight on the barbell and lifting it! ME is the most important person. Not the dude giving you a compliment, despite how good that feels. I have had several people say WOW you look fantastic, and yea it does feel great that someone notices but I gotta say, every time I go down to my weight area and lift those I feel great! Hope you do too, even if no one else is there to say it! Hope you measured and pictured too! You'll see the difference.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Great arms there Sue.
    NSV of the day Sunshine. It always feels great to have your hard work noticed.