new 2 my fitnesspal, this board and diabetes

I have been prediabetic and ignoring it for many years.. just diagnosed type 2 last month my A1C was 6.8 and trying to tread through all the info, and to tell the truth it is making me feel pretty stupid. . I am now putting myself and health first, hopefully by doing this it will make me a better wife and parent, or at least i will be around longer. I have seen a nutritionist and the one thing that surprised me was she told me to eat protein with my carbs. I was always grabbing fruit for breakfast or a snack and did not realize that fruit is counted as a carb she wants me to stay between 45g -70g of carb per meal.. how much protein should i be having with this? and what are some good low calorie sugestions, she did suggest a hard boiled egg, cheese stick, or turkey. also Does anyone have any good grab and go breakfast ideas. I used to just eat a granola bar or banana. any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.

Replies

• Welcome Julie

Cheers
    Shell
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Welcome Julie. I'm fairly new to this myself (Diagnosed in June w/ an A1C of 10.2. Yikes!)

You'll find lots of helpful people on here.

I'm not sure about "how much" protein with a carb, but I think the main purpose of combining them is that it slows down the conversion of the carb into glucose in our blood stream. I think fats also have this effect but since high cholesterol is also a problem for many diabetics, a lean protein can be a better choice.

As far as grab and go items, some of mine are a hard boiled egg and piece of fruit, a Nutri-grain toaster waffle spread with some natural peanut butter (that's what I had this morning!), a waffle or piece of whole grain toast with a scrambled egg on top, a protein shake made with low-fat milk with some fruit blended in, fruit and cheese, a waffle folded around some turkey sausage, etc. If you watch the amounts of protein, carbs, and fats on your diary when you log your meals, you'll start to learn where you need to make adjustments. Mine are far from perfect, but I'm learning more every day.
  • clarafitnesspal
    clarafitnesspal Posts: 24 Member
    Cameo530 thanks for the tips, I thought protien shakes were just for those trying to gain weight.. I will have to check them out. you gave me some great grab and go items ideas that i will have to try out. I also like the Nutri grain waffles, but like your ideas of the peanut butter and using it as a wrap. thanks again.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Some protein shakes ARE for people who are trying to gain but a lot of them are not. The ones for people who want to gain usually have words like "Gainer" and "Bulk" in the names. :smile: Just read the labels carefully and pick ones that have under 100 calories and a high amount of protein and a low amount of carbs. I don't really like the pre-made drinks because a) they are expensive, b) they tend to be higher in carbs and c) I'm freaked about whatever other chemicals are mixed in there to make them shelf-stable for months so I use powders and mix my own. There are tons of recipes on MFP for them. Just go to the forums and use the "Search" button to find lots of ideas.
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Hi, I am also new to MFP and recently diagnost as a Diabetic (Type2). I have seen it coming for years and have ignored the signs,and yes I feel pretty dumb about the whole thing. I have not met with a dietician yet. My dr. told me the same about the carbs. I eat oatmel, or egg beaters for breakfast. I am having a great deal of trouble getting my fasting glucose down,so they have increased my metformin medication. If you find any good breakfast hints or protien pointers please share, This is new to alot of us I think. I have had good success so far with the weight loss,keeping track of the food and calories is really the key to me.
    Good luck and welcome .:flowerforyou:
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Quick breakfasts I eat toast and cheese or toast and pb. I try to always eat whole grain breads. The higher the fiber the better. Less quick breakfast I eat eggs. Veggie and cheese omelet is a good one. But hardboiling eggs the day before then grabbing those for breakfast is good too.

Fat, protein and fiber help slow down carb absorption. You will need to experiment until you figure out what your body needs. Lots of testing will let you figure out what your body wants. When I am experimenting I often test fasting, 1, 2 and 3 hrs after eating, and some before eating and before bed. For most people most foods will peak at 2 hrs post prandial but not always. Some foods are slower to spike (common with pasta) and others are faster. You will also figure out what your body does on average. As you learn you can test your pp levels at an appropriate time for you.

Eating a snack with protein, fat and/or carbs can help reduce your fastings. What you will need takes some experimentation. Before I was taking more drugs I needed protein/fat but no carbs. Now I do ok if I add carbs to the mix.

Nothing will always stay the same. Diabetes can change. As you improve your eating and exercise habits your BG may go down. Or despite what you do it may go up. Don't become complacent and think that just because you are doing well now you don't need to test. When I reach a point that things seem well controlled I still take a fasting most mornings because that is my bad time and randomly I will do a 2 hr pp. Some days I will do a lot of testing just to make sure I stay well controlled throughout the day.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Welcome aboard. You can rock this. I've been T2 for about 4 years now, got it under control and will be happy to offer any insights into what I do. It may or may not be right for you of course.

Best luck.
  • clarafitnesspal
    clarafitnesspal Posts: 24 Member
    thanks all for the great advise and support! this is one board I will check often!
  • Brynne1234
    Brynne1234 Posts: 52 Member
    Welcome! I think that most dieticians are somewhat different but I can tell you what mine told me to eat for protein/carbs. If I am eating 30gm of carbs in a meal then my protein is set at 10-11 gms of protein. For a meal with 45carbs she set my protein at 27gms with the theory that the protein helps to slow down the rise of the blood sugar. I just try to balance it as well as I can. Diabetes can be really confusing at first, but it does get a little easier to cope with after getting experience with how your body reacts to certain foods/combos :).
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Welcome.

High protein breakfast choices:

Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    bacon (in moderation)
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Hi Clara and welcome to this group where you will find lots of support, encouragement and useful information. A number of people in this group have had some success by linking carbs to protein in line with the recommendations made by the authors of The Insulin Resistence Diet. This basically advocates linking carbs and protein in the ratio of 2:1 ie one gram of protein to two grams of carbohydrate. I would'nt get too hung up on this but if you are in the general area then you should be fine. There is aslo a consensus view of aiming to strive for around 45 gms of carbs per main meal with about say 20 -30 for snacks. You should also be aware of the difference between simple and complex carbs in making your food choices. One of the best pieces of advice which I was given in this group was to try and pre-plan meals so that you maintain a better degree of control. Plan and then try to stick to your game plan. Take your time to read around the boards and get a feel for things and then ask as many questions as you like. In my experience somone will usually come up with a helpful suggestion. Feel free to add me as a friend if you think I may be able to help. I wish you well for the future.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    So Robert if i'm planning to have an apple for my ten o'clock snack should I have cheese with it. Cheese is protein or a fat. Can't remember. Going to go track it and see what it gives me.

Thank you
    Linda
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Hi Linda, it would depend on the type of cheese. The principle is fine of combining carbs and protein in the ratio of 2:1. In general the harder and more natural the cheese the better.