Fast tracking

Options
I've been plugging away at my C25K program for awhile now and I'm at Week 7 Day 1. When I registered for my first 5K I only had 5 weeks to do the program, not 9 like they suggest so I've been fast tracking. Race day for me is Sept 16th. I know they say don't do that but I've had alot of success doing it. I've had one strain that I nursed in my left hip flexor but other than that I've just tried to take it easy on my runs. I figure if I run slow at first and get the kms in then I can work on speeding up later on.

I had a great success yesterday when I finished my run then just kept running! I ended up doing the full 5K in 54:33. I didn't think that was too bad for the first time. At least I have a starting point and I can work on increasing my speed over time.

Anyone else fast tracked the C25K Program? What did you think? How did you do?

Replies

• mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't know if what I've done is "fast tracking", but I added time/distance to each day of my C25K workout. I started with only 6 weeks to my first 5K (which is tomorrow!) so I knew I needed to have some sort of endurance to make it 3.11 miles. I followed what the app told me to do (ex: run for 5 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, run for 8 minutes, walk for 2 minutes etc.) and then tagged on an extra interval or two each day that time would allow me to do so so I could see how my body would respond to the full 5k distance.

I only did/do the workouts every other day and always have given myself a day of rest in between. I don't think it's a bad way to go, but I also have to listen to my body and if it says that Week 6 Day 2 was to hard, then I've been known to go back and repeat that day on my next workout.

FWIW, I'm running about a mile straight, then walking a 1/2 mile, then running a mile, walking 1/4 mile, then running in that last 1/4 mile to the finish. My goal tomorrow is to finish at or under 45 minutes.

Good luck to you on the 16th!
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I'm fast tracking the programme as I am still sticking with it at the gym on the treadmill, but Sunday mornings I now do a circuit on the road which is approximately 5.6km. Yes I run it at a slower pace than the programme on the treadmill, & my first attempt I had to walk a couple of sections, but on my 2nd attempt last Sunday I managed to slow jog the entire route, 44mins 11 secs. I'm currently wk4 day 2 tonight at the gym - slightly harder as my pace is a little higher. Am doing ok & hoping the road sessions will help improve overall - I'm also hoping to do my first timed 5k at a parkrun event next Saturday - 15th Sept. I think doing the extra road option has helped to give me the confidence that I can complete the programme - when I got home that 1st run, even though I had walked some of it, anyone would have thought I had won the lottery I was so excited & pleased!
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's fast tracking either, but I have been doing it every other day without missing any days. I just really got into it and decided to make sure I had a rest day in between but didn't want to have 2 days not doing it. So I started the program August 1st and finished W7D1 yesterday. I have pushed myself a several times by running longer/father than the program called for...I just make sure I listen to my body and if it says not to push it further, then I don't--I'm trying to let my legs and hips progress for endurance without injury. I feel it in my hip flexors a lot. I make sure to stretch really good when I get home! But even at Week 7, I can now run the whole distance (and sometimes more) without stopping...and it feels so good to know that 39 days ago I would have told you "I'm not a runner."--let alone an exerciser. I have a treadmill at home in case I need it for rainy days but so far I've not been rained out.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I am doing the opposite, slow tracking :laugh:
  • krisc15
    krisc15 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started C25K with so much excitement and made it to week 3 day 3. I kept reading online about how running is so much mental. I told myself yesterday that if I can do a high energy Zumba class for one hour I can definitely run for quite a while. Mind you, I have not run a mile since high school and never actually ran the whole thing then. So yesterday I decided to run a mile on the treadmill at a 5.0 and I did it! SO today I decided to run for more than a mile with a towel covering my distance. I ran the mile and decided to try for 2 and I made it to 2 and then decided I wanted to finish a whole 5K. Unfortunately at about 2.5 miles the fire alarms went off at the gym and I kept running until I was told to leave at 2.65 miles. I just kept telling myself I could do this and I totally could!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: