Need Advice ASAP

Options
alerica1
alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
So, I joined this Cupid website last week. I've gotten quite a few messages from guys but this one has made me weak in the knees. The problem is I sometimes can't see the forrest for the trees. For the last 2 nights we have instant messaged for a minimum of 2 hours at a time. He's been divorced since 2006, has 2 daughters that he has custody of....he owns his own business, seems to be well-balanced. He says all the right things. I've even re-read our instant messages and still can't see anything that scares me. Please tell me what I should be looking for????

Replies

• alerica1
    Options
    Here is my profile http://www.okcupid.com/profile.....my user name is ckj0916
  • Jennifer2387
    Jennifer2387 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking to find things that scare you?
  • alerica1
    Options
    Its my MO....I've been hurt and lied to and cheated on and beat on that I always figure there's something wrong. He seems to good to be true.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Until you meet in person don`t take either to an extreme.
    You have to see if the real life person matches the one you are falling for in your mind.
    That is when you weigh his character/behavior/personality against your ideals.
  • solman66
    solman66 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You should be looking for a way to relax and enjoy yourself instead of a way to sabotage something that could be very good.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Before you get all caught up in the "text message relationship". Meet him. See if there's chemistry. Then over analyze.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    No one is "TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE". Trust me. It's just finding the one you can stand. Everyone has things...
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Only you know what you want, but you should meet this guy in person first in a safe, public place as is usually protocol with online dating.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Don't look for the bad, and believe in the good, until you are proven wrong.

But, that said, don't get too invested in the "online relationship".....meet him and then go from there
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If you go looking for bad qualities or a reason to not develop anything further with him..you will definitely find it, or create in in your own mind. He isn't going to be perfect and you will come across something you don't like at some point. When you do, you can ask yourself if it is a deal breaker or not.. and give some consious thought and evaluation to it. The same will go for him about you.

Have fun.. just make sure you take it slow and while I personally think it is fine to get swept up in everything - make sure you can emotionally handle the potential of it it working or not working out. Don't give your heart away too soon.. until you really know what kind of man he is.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Dont get excited just yet. Meet in person!!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Until you meet in person don`t take either to an extreme.
    You have to see if the real life person matches the one you are falling for in your mind.
    That is when you weigh his character/behavior/personality against your ideals.

You said it Carl :flowerforyou:

Never, ever, EVER fall for a person online. I know it's easy to do and I've done it myself, but trust me, its all a waste of time if you dont have that spark/gel/chemistry in person! And, unfortunately, people can be very different IRL than they are online, both physically, emotionally and mentally!! :noway:

Oh! And if something seems to good to be true, it probably is!!

My advice is to meet ASAP and take it from there :flowerforyou:
  • alerica1
    Options
    You're all right....I am a hopeless romantic and its easy for me to get wrapped up in someone that makes themself out to be something they aren't. My problem is I'm honest to a fault.....what you see is what you get.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Meet him ASAP.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Before you get all caught up in the "text message relationship". Meet him. See if there's chemistry. Then over analyze.

True dat.

And don't LOOK for reasons to back off. That will end every relationship you strive to have.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Nobody is perfect (yes, even me haha). You have to understand that you barely know him and he probably has many faults. Just have fun getting to know him quit worrying so much.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    So, I joined this Cupid website last week. I've gotten quite a few messages from guys but this one has made me weak in the knees. The problem is I sometimes can't see the forrest for the trees. For the last 2 nights we have instant messaged for a minimum of 2 hours at a time. He's been divorced since 2006, has 2 daughters that he has custody of....he owns his own business, seems to be well-balanced. He says all the right things. I've even re-read our instant messages and still can't see anything that scares me. Please tell me what I should be looking for????
    That all sounds pretty good to me. I think to many women, a man who has custody of his two children might be a negative, so he's not perfect for everyone. The guy I'm dating tomorrow seems to say all the right things too. It doesn't mean he's feeding me lines or particularly smooth - it just means where have very similar values and ideals on a great many things. Could that be what you are also seeing?

I also agree about meeting ASAP and not getting too caught up in the virtual romance. That is too much of your own fantasy filling in the blanks on his personality and presence, and the longer it goes on, the more you might build up to a big disappointment when you finally meet.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    That all sounds pretty good to me. I think to many women, a man who has custody of his two children might be a negative, so he's not perfect for everyone. The guy I'm dating tomorrow seems to say all the right things too. It doesn't mean he's feeding me lines or particularly smooth - it just means where have very similar values and ideals on a great many things. Could that be what you are also seeing?

I also agree about meeting ASAP and not getting too caught up in the virtual romance. That is too much of your own fantasy filling in the blanks on his personality and presence, and the longer it goes on, the more you might build up to a big disappointment when you finally meet.

Or refuse to accept the real life person is completely different then the fantasy one and make a huge mistake in pursuing something.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Just meet him for a drink after work and see if there is any real chemistry. It gets really awkward if you text and talk for hours and then you meet in person and there's zero chemistry and a bunch of long, awkward silences.

He could also look different in person than he does in his pictures. Luckily, most women I've met online have looked very similar to their pictures, but I've heard horror stories.
  • alerica1
    Options
    HE'S "F"ING MARRIED!!!!! YES, I'M YELLING THIS! I GIVE UP!!!