Gluten and HypoT

Options
TXBelle1174
TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
So how many of you that are HypoT also have an issue with gluten and/or have gone gluten free with beneficial results?

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free since January -- not sure if it was just getting rid of gluten, but I've lost 4.5 inches on my waist -- stomach bloating is GONE. When I need whole grains I eat gluten-free rolled oatmeal. I also eat flaxseed every day to keep everything moving ... if you know what I mean! :laugh:
  • morgynsmama
    Options
    I have been wondering this samething.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I am hypo and gluten free. Been gluten free for 2 years or so. Been treated for hypo for about the same amount of time.

Going gluten free has helped me a lot with stomach issues. I did it because going lactose-free (something I knew I was intolerant of) didn't resolve my stomach issues enough. I'm not sure if it's helped in the weight-loss area, as I do think that's mostly calorie deficit plus exercise.

I don't know if it's been a factor for hypo. Staying on medication has done wonders in that department.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ive been hypo for 5 years and it was recommended that I go Gluten free about 9 months ago. However, I have really only embraced the gluten free for the last few months. Now, that I am really watching what I eat I feel so much better. I can tell when I do have small amount of gluten I don't feel well. I will have immediate heartburn and I get very tired. So, trying to as much whole food as possible and very little processed. In doing this my inflammation (sausage fingers) has gone down dramatically. I have also cut alcohol of any kind completely out. Except for an occasional glass of wine or beer . Going gluten free is worth trying to see how you feel and it is so much easier now to find gluten free products. Good luck!
  • morgynsmama
    Options
    So I have gone g free! Wow its made a huge impact in my life! I love it
    Im so glad for mfp message boards or I would have never made a connection and to gave it a try.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My wife is Hypo and gluten intolerant. Give it a shot, the below seems intertwined so many times:

Hypothyroid
    PCOS
    Isulin Resistance
    Gluten Intolerance
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    http://thyroid.about.com/cs/latestresearch/a/celiac.htm

Check out this link my antibodies have dropped from 4500 at their highest to below 100