Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fast tracking

I've been plugging away at my C25K program for awhile now and I'm at Week 7 Day 1. When I registered for my first 5K I only had 5 weeks to do the program, not 9 like they suggest so I've been fast tracking. Race day for me is Sept 16th. I know they say don't do that but I've had alot of success doing it. I've had one strain that I nursed in my left hip flexor but other than that I've just tried to take it easy on my runs. I figure if I run slow at first and get the kms in then I can work on speeding up later on.

I had a great success yesterday when I finished my run then just kept running! I ended up doing the full 5K in 54:33. I didn't think that was too bad for the first time. At least I have a starting point and I can work on increasing my speed over time.

Anyone else fast tracked the C25K Program? What did you think? How did you do?

Replies

• mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    I don't know if what I've done is "fast tracking", but I added time/distance to each day of my C25K workout. I started with only 6 weeks to my first 5K (which is tomorrow!) so I knew I needed to have some sort of endurance to make it 3.11 miles. I followed what the app told me to do (ex: run for 5 minutes, walk for 3 minutes, run for 8 minutes, walk for 2 minutes etc.) and then tagged on an extra interval or two each day that time would allow me to do so so I could see how my body would respond to the full 5k distance.

I only did/do the workouts every other day and always have given myself a day of rest in between. I don't think it's a bad way to go, but I also have to listen to my body and if it says that Week 6 Day 2 was to hard, then I've been known to go back and repeat that day on my next workout.

FWIW, I'm running about a mile straight, then walking a 1/2 mile, then running a mile, walking 1/4 mile, then running in that last 1/4 mile to the finish. My goal tomorrow is to finish at or under 45 minutes.

Good luck to you on the 16th!
  • LooptLou25
    LooptLou25 Posts: 193 Member
    I wouldn't say I'm fast tracking the programme as I am still sticking with it at the gym on the treadmill, but Sunday mornings I now do a circuit on the road which is approximately 5.6km. Yes I run it at a slower pace than the programme on the treadmill, & my first attempt I had to walk a couple of sections, but on my 2nd attempt last Sunday I managed to slow jog the entire route, 44mins 11 secs. I'm currently wk4 day 2 tonight at the gym - slightly harder as my pace is a little higher. Am doing ok & hoping the road sessions will help improve overall - I'm also hoping to do my first timed 5k at a parkrun event next Saturday - 15th Sept. I think doing the extra road option has helped to give me the confidence that I can complete the programme - when I got home that 1st run, even though I had walked some of it, anyone would have thought I had won the lottery I was so excited & pleased!
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    I don't know if it's fast tracking either, but I have been doing it every other day without missing any days. I just really got into it and decided to make sure I had a rest day in between but didn't want to have 2 days not doing it. So I started the program August 1st and finished W7D1 yesterday. I have pushed myself a several times by running longer/father than the program called for...I just make sure I listen to my body and if it says not to push it further, then I don't--I'm trying to let my legs and hips progress for endurance without injury. I feel it in my hip flexors a lot. I make sure to stretch really good when I get home! But even at Week 7, I can now run the whole distance (and sometimes more) without stopping...and it feels so good to know that 39 days ago I would have told you "I'm not a runner."--let alone an exerciser. I have a treadmill at home in case I need it for rainy days but so far I've not been rained out.
  • FloridaAimee
    FloridaAimee Posts: 295 Member
    I am doing the opposite, slow tracking :laugh:
  • krisc15
    krisc15 Posts: 44 Member
    I started C25K with so much excitement and made it to week 3 day 3. I kept reading online about how running is so much mental. I told myself yesterday that if I can do a high energy Zumba class for one hour I can definitely run for quite a while. Mind you, I have not run a mile since high school and never actually ran the whole thing then. So yesterday I decided to run a mile on the treadmill at a 5.0 and I did it! SO today I decided to run for more than a mile with a towel covering my distance. I ran the mile and decided to try for 2 and I made it to 2 and then decided I wanted to finish a whole 5K. Unfortunately at about 2.5 miles the fire alarms went off at the gym and I kept running until I was told to leave at 2.65 miles. I just kept telling myself I could do this and I totally could!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: