Getting Started Assistance

Options
I have been on MFP for about 3.5 months now and have lost about 40 pounds. When I signed up, I used the MFP calculator and set a goal to lose a pound per week., which at the time game me a calorie goal of 1800. Now, that same formula gives me a calorie goal of 1650.

For most of the past three months, I have been eating between 1350-1500 calories per day, some days more and some days less. Every now and then I would peruse the forum topics and read things that looked like they might interest me. The other day, I saw a response that triggered something in my brain.

The topic was regarding eating below one's BMR and got me doing research. Intuitively, it makes sense that for long term health, one should eat at least their BMR on a daily basis. I found a link to Fat2FitRadio and have used some of the calculators there.

According to the different BMR calculations, my BMR is 1785 according to Harris Formula. According to Katch McArdle formula it can range from 1705-1833 depending on which body fat calculator I use. According to Covert Bailey mine is 22%, Military shows 26.7% while another shows 28.7%.

I am trying to exercise more, but I primarily have a desk job so at best I would be considered lightly active and at worst sedentary putting my TDEE between 2100-2400 calories per day. I would like to lose another 10-15 pounds or so, but am reasonably happy with my current weight.

I know that I should now be consuming at least 1800 calories per day, and could even stand a little more. My question is do I just go straight to eating the 1800 or more, or do I gradually increase my calories so that it doesn't completely shock my system. Hope that make sense and sorry for a long post.

Replies

• LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    That would be up to you. I know when I upped my calories I just "jumped in", so to speak. I went from 1300 net calories/day to 1800 net calories/day. It worked fine for me, but some like to increase slowly and bump up by 150-200 calories/week.

I would go read the thread on what to expect when upping your calories. It's very helpful.

Good luck with your journey and congrats on your successes!

ETA: Sometimes a shock to the system can be a good thing!
  • trishadams
    trishadams Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ^^What beckdubs said. I thought I would do a gradual increase, but after about a week I just went for it. In the beginning it was actually tough to get all the food in!! LOL!!

It's really a personal decision, but do read the sticky so you know what to expect.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    As pp said it is up to you. Whatever feels better for you. I jumped straight to my TDDE-15%. After another two weeks I jumped to TDEE for 8 weeks. No regrets for jumping straight in.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Howdy! I I'll add to the group go "jumping right in" . Isn't that big of a jump for you ...I think you will do fine .

Jen
  • dickster1961
    dickster1961 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice. I am trying to get at least up to 1800 calories per day but it has been a bit of a challenge. working on it
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice. I am trying to get at least up to 1800 calories per day but it has been a bit of a challenge. working on it

1800. lots of wonderful good food to eat. Not tough at all!! Don't giive me that : )

I eat between 1700 - 1900 just to give you a point of reference. Protein first, healthy fats ( nuts, nut butters, avocado, olives are examples) veg, fruit , then let the rest fall into place within your calorie goal