Hi!

Options
Hi there.My name is Jennifer and I'm new to myFitnessPal (well, about a month new ;-) and looking for tips for staying fit in your forties! This seems like the perfect group to gain more knowledge and support.

Replies

• tdhaverland
    Options
    Hi Jennifer,

I just joined this group yesterday and like you needing tips to stay fit in my forties. I have been on MFP for about 2 months and have had some success.
  • Lindylaloo
    Lindylaloo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've finally recommitted to MFP recently! Honestly, it's the only diet/fitness plan that has worked for me. I've totally neglected my weight after I hit 40 (getting ready to turn 44) as a caregiver to 2 family members with cancer, a job change, 6-8 hours on the road a week, and I stopped playing softball. MFP has really shown me how to balance my meals over the course of the day, how to budget my calories for meals out, how to add exercise to gain calories and to accelerate weight loss and also to be accountable for what I eat and drink. I'm very happy to be where I am in my weight loss. My big hallelujah was when I lost my first 10 pounds by watching my calories and exercising. Imagine that!!

I think being honest with yourself is the biggest thing. There were times when I started that I've had two of "those" but wanted to log only one. I realized I was cheating myself. When I became honest with myself, I started to lose!

Good luck to you! I think you'll love MFP and if you're consistent, honest and stay motivated, you'll see the weight drop away.
  • jenwil12
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I hear ya on the being honest thing. Sometimes I get "snacky" and feel guilty, so I don't log it. But then, if you're not honest, it won't work like you said :) I was good for about 2 mos, and now finding myself slackin, so this is great motivation knowing it does work!
  • jogle39
    Options
    Hi, i am new to and have really enjoyed this site. I started with the i phone app 3 weeks ago and reading other peoples stories seems to make it more real to me. I think in this age group we start to think oh well we are getting old, i have decided not to accept that and change how i do things and i am already starting to see the benefits!
  • lovinlifelaura
    Options
    I'm new to the site, too. Wow, I am amazed at how helpful this site really is! Feel free to send me a friend request -- I could use all the encouragement I can get.

I am a 44-year-old mother of three children, ages 18, 13, and 7. I'm also finishing my last semester in grad school -- going to be a therapist!
  • jenwil12
    Options
    I agree! No reason to think it's all over just because we are forty ;-)
  • jenwil12
    Options
    I am in school as well. Finishing up my Bachelor's that I never completed. Funny how you appreciated education more when you get older :)
  • justlistening
    justlistening Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm new here too (about 4 wks). I just turned 45 on Labor Day. This seems like a really supportive site. I'm not really good at losing weight. In the past I just exercised more, but now with more time constraints and age creeping up on me I can't be as hard on my body. So I am trying to log my diet too. It is working ...

I don't have any friends on here. I'm not really sure what that is about but would not mind any additional support:smile:
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi all, welcome to this group. I started the journey of getting myself fit about 2 years ago when I hit forty, but it was until I discovered MFP couple of months back that got me seriously thinking about food about the exercises that I need to do.

I feel motivated all the time because I'm starting to look better, getting compliments, feel more energetic, and losing some inches on the waist and most importantly, keeping up with my active son.

Feel free to add me, will be glad to be your MFP pal.
  • Gymlifeforever14
    Options
    Take time for yourself because life is to short! Congrats on putting the nose back on the grind stone!! Good luck!
    Kiki :-)
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Staying fit in your 40s (and beyond) just takes more discipline. I'm in pretty good shape--I run several times a week and lift weights. But right after I turned 40, I started noticing that I couldn't eat or drink like I did in my 20s and 30s and not gain weight. The main thing I've done is clean up my diet. I still drink (mainly on the weekends) but otherwise I'm pretty strict with my diet and I very rarely eat anything sweet. Diet and exercise are both important but diet is really the deal-breaker as you start to get older.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! YOU CAN ADD ME!
  • Lityboy
    Options
    Hi I´m Chuck and 40 years old. I manage to exercise on a regular basis but seem to lag behind on occasion against younger guys.......ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    I´d really appreciate any tips or advice you could give to keep in better shape.