Sugar and Fibro?

Options
Dixietrink82
Dixietrink82 Posts: 33 Member
Hi Guys,

I have a question. Does anyone else think that their sugar intake could be associated with their fibro? I ask because I was doing really well not eating candy (ok....i had like two mini bars three times a week at a girlfriend's desk but other then that!). I decided to take a break over Easter F-S because life was going to be crazy hectic and I over indulged. I noticed some more stiffness and muscle pain on Monday, and then Monday night I had a left over piece of cake (but worked out!) and noticed that I had tons of spasms in my muscles, joints, and overall. I haven't had any sugar since and it seems that the pains are slowly going away.

Has anyone else noticed this? Fibro makes me feel crazy that I am imagining all this pain sometimes, so I'm hoping someone has experienced that.

Thanks!

Replies

• sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Too much sugar makes my mouth and neck hurt, I think it is actually a really bad food all round. I don't have Fibro, but a good friend of mine has, I will ask her and report back what she says.
    But I would say that if it hurts when you eat it try honey instead as it has a natural anti inflammatory property I believe.
    :flowerforyou: This is to make you feel less painful.
  • rhu115
    rhu115 Posts: 3
    Options
    Definately too much suger and carbs are triggers with me. If I eat too much suger my whole body gets hot and agitated. Feels like blood is boiling and I cant keep still. Also noticed if I reduce my carbs my muscles are not so sore. True saying you are what you eat?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Nothing I've ever eaten has seemed to be a trigger. Unless you'd count when I overate, that made me obese and the extra weight made me hurt even more. After losing 30+lbs, I feel so so so so much better! :)
  • MiniLopHop
    Options
    I'm not sure which comes first- do I crave sugar because of the flare is coming or do I flare because I indulged my cravings? For me it can also be hormonal. I crave chocolate that time of the month, but I also tend to flare more then too. I just had gastric bypass, so now no more sugar. I will let you know how it goes, but so far I have been shocked how good my fibro is doing.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Mine is defnitely made worse by excess sugar but is absoultely unbearable when I injest any synthetic sugars, the worst being aspartame.
  • AFWife1029
    Options
    Mine is defnitely made worse by excess sugar but is absoultely unbearable when I injest any synthetic sugars, the worst being aspartame.

I have to say I have noticed the same thing especially aspartame, so painful.. I used to love Diet A&W and Diet 7-Up but I had to go to drinking the regular of both and can't even do that much anymore bc the sugar levels are just high in them I guess.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I have a question. Does anyone else think that their sugar intake could be associated with their fibro? I ask because I was doing really well not eating candy (ok....i had like two mini bars three times a week at a girlfriend's desk but other then that!). I decided to take a break over Easter F-S because life was going to be crazy hectic and I over indulged. I noticed some more stiffness and muscle pain on Monday, and then Monday night I had a left over piece of cake (but worked out!) and noticed that I had tons of spasms in my muscles, joints, and overall. I haven't had any sugar since and it seems that the pains are slowly going away.

Has anyone else noticed this? Fibro makes me feel crazy that I am imagining all this pain sometimes, so I'm hoping someone has experienced that.

Thanks!
    When I eat sweets (especially Skittles) I get a severe spasm issue in my jaw/cheek. Its a shooting searing pain. I chug bottles of water and it dissipates after a few hours.
  • Lynn_SD
    Lynn_SD Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thanks!

You probably flared because of the "crazy hectic" holiday weekend! Since fibromyalgia is a neurological disorder, what you eat shouldn't make much difference (except of course in gaining weight)...oh and if certain foods might flare up your IBS.

I truly hate the taste of ALL the artificial sweeteners and it is in more and more things. Bought Dreyers fruit popsicles, in past just good fruit juice...now has an artificial sweetener in it (Had a whole huge box, opened; ugh). But no correlation with fibro flares.

Char, do you maybe have TMJ? Aren't Skittles kinda hard and chewy? Would make sense of those symptoms.
  • mugsisme
    mugsisme Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sugar, caffeine, carbs .. none of them affect me. Lack of exercise, even one day? I hurt like crazy. Lesson learned? no.
  • twiztc
    twiztc Posts: 135
    Options
    i have had this condition for over ten years on and off. Im at an on spot and have been now for half of those years. I have tried cutting out every food group at different times including sugar and for me it hasnt made any difference to the fibro but dairy makes a bit of difference to the IBS. Fake sugar flares up the IBS for sure.
    But thats just me, its different for everyone. just trail and error I guess
  • RobinShay
    RobinShay Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar makes my body/ joints hurt and slows my muscles down. I have cut out almost all "extra sugar" and pop. I am able to cope a lot better. Pop gives me fibro fog and I can't remember words. Lol then my kids laugh at me :)
  • divone1
    divone1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Same for me! I really have to try to cutdown on the sugar but I have crazy cravings - especially at night.
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

I have been trying to quit eating so much sugar and it does help with the pain.. McDonalds has a Cherry Berry Chiller and a medium one has about 68 grams of sugar.. They say it's 100% juice but I think that they add sugar syrup to it, anyway after I drink one of those my body hurt bad, so I think it was because of the sugar and the citric acid.. And the only sugar substitute I can handle w/o pain is Stevia, anything else and I am in pain... I think I am going to try to cut down even further on sugar items...