The "No weighing until Sept 30th" post

Options
woodsygirl
woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
Hello everyone. I seem to be in the habit of weighing daily and it is killing my motivation and progress. I know I would adhere to everything better if I just stepped away from the scale. I pledge that I am not going to step on the scale until Sept. 30th. I think that would be the longest since i've been losing weight that I would not be on it! If anyone else feels like a scale addict and using it as an excuse to eat or not eat, please join me in breaking the habit. :)

Today I weighed 145.8, last week 144.4. I am vowing to forget the scale, I will not let a number dictate how I feel tommorow about myself. Who is with me?

Replies

• roguestates
    Options
    Are you still going to measure yourself?

It sounds like a good challenge, but I also find myself compulsively measuring myself and getting disappointed...
  • BlondieBride
    BlondieBride Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I will join! I was just going to post this myself! I may however, go longer than sept 30! I want to concentrate on losing body fat and inches.
  • woodsygirl
    Options
    I don't find measuring particulary helpful myself, when i'm lifting i'm huge and sometimes that is not exactly motivation ;) I'm going with how I feel, how good I think I look in the mirror and how well i'm sticking to macros.
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I do step on the scale daily. But I have taken to not recording it for a month. I also find the tape measure to be disappointing. One week I can be down a little and then if I measure and theres a little bloat I have a gain. I have started taken monthly photos to hopefully help me see progress.
  • BlondieBride
    BlondieBride Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am concentrating too much on the number instead of making it a lifestyle change. I find once I reach a certain weight (usually 130lbs), I give myself permission to binge on unhealthy foods, then i end up in this yoyo. So if I don't know what I weigh then I should stay on track. It's going to be difficult though!
  • woodsygirl
    Options
    Let's just make a goal of staying off the scale until Sept 30th, I know it will be hard but it might help break the habit and make us happier people (at least, for Sept anyways.. hehe )
  • sweetsungirl
    Options
    Totally down with that...no scale until Sept 30th. Training like a demon in the interim!!!
  • rcb1963
    rcb1963 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision. I used to weigh myself daily as a young woman - multiple times a day. I had a lot of issues. Then I joined WW and went to the weekly weigh in. I joined EM2WL over the summer and started lifting weights. I have not weighed myself since 7/31. I committed to myself not to weigh again until I finished stage 2 of the lifting program. I am truly not looking forward to it really. When I finish stage 2 this week, I plan to weigh, measure and take pictures. I am not sure what progress I will see.

Believe me the scale called my name every day at first. Even now it still whispers as I pass by. You can do this!!!!:wink:
  • musiche
    musiche Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I wrestled with this idea for the last couple of months, but I just can't not weigh myself, lol. The curiosity kills me. I'm the kind of person who wants to know everything about something to get the whole picture, I crave knowledge. The scale was constantly disappointing me for the longest time, and I thought the way to avoid the disappointment was to eradicate the scale altogether, but then I took some photos to gauge my progress and saw that, despite weighing the same, I looked way better/smaller. It was then that I realized that the scale wasn't my problem, it was my relationship with the scale. Weighing less has never really been my goal, per say, it's always been about looking better, feeling better and being healthier. When I realized that all of those goals have nothing to do with how much I weigh, I was able to give less credit to the scale and acknowledge my successes for being exactly that. Just because I gain a couple of pounds doesn't mean I got fatter, and I can accept that now without the fear of getting fat haunting me every time I step on the scale.

We're all need to do what works best for us. I still wish I could give up the scale, but the not knowing will haunt me more than knowing the truth of it. For me, ignorance has never been blissful, I want the truth no matter how harsh, but only because I'm able to rationalize it in the face of my own emotions.

That being said, I lost my ability to rely on how I felt and I ended up feeling really crappy and not acknowledging it because I was so focused on the numbers and goals. There's definitely some merit to what you're suggesting, in that how we feel is truly most important and if anything stands in our way to understanding and listening to our body, it's all these technological devices that quantify our actions everyday, only to tell us what we don't want to hear.

There's a balance to everything. We all do whatever works for us. :)
  • woodsygirl
    Options
    I haven't eaten all that great the past day or so, and I know the weight is up. It's so hard not to get on and say ... see, you gained weight, now starve yourself!

I will not weigh myself, I am more than the number.
  • uwdawg07
    Options
    Congratulations on your decision! I weigh about 10 times a day and it's something I hate and am really trying to stop. I'm very inspired by your self control! Good luck!
  • woodsygirl
    Options
    Anyone else still staying off the scale? I haven't weighed myself, and i'm happy about that. I'm sure i'm heavier but I'm feeling good today!
  • heatherS8
    Options
    I'm staying off the scale, too. I'm just getting started with EM2WL and I think it will be a lot easier on me mentally to keep the scale hidden for a few weeks!
  • shlobiwan
    shlobiwan Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - I'm starting EM2WL after coming off of Weight Watchers. I did a starting weigh in yesterday, and I can hold off until Sept 30th!
  • roguestates
    Options
    Still haven't weight myself! Also trying to not measure myself and being less obssessive!
  • runningfromzombies
    Options
    I'm slowly getting out of the habit of weighing EVERY day, at least...trying to cut down to only once a week. But it's hard. I, too, am unbearably curious. :grumble: For those of you who have managed to keep at this...congratulations!