Have any of you cut out caffeine?

Options
Apparently there have been studies that have shown caffeine consumption to have an effect on the stability of blood sugar. Also, some have claimed to experience carb cravings after drinking a caffeinated beverage. I've only cut it out halfway so far. I've switched to decaf coffee in the morning, but I still drink my can of diet Sun Drop with my dinner at night. As soon as the soda is gone, I'll be switching to caffeine free. Aside from drinking tons of water, the thing I drink second most is Crystal Light, which is caffeine free as well.

Replies

• LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    No, the opposite in fact. I use my mid-day caffeine to curb my appetite.
  • L1brar1an
    L1brar1an Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with LowcarbNY. My mid-afternoon coffee curbs my munchies.
  • iksworbez
    iksworbez Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Dear God No!

I have been drinking WAY more coffee now than before i started keto, and it is great to curb my appetite and have as a snack/beverage
  • steepedintruth
    steepedintruth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I cut out caffeine starting about a month before I even considered changing to a low-carb diet, much less keto. The logic in this stemmed from a clear need to take in more water, and I was (am?) highly addicted to caffeine (between 6-10 cans of soda in a day around the time I quit). By the time I was ready to cut back on my carbohydrates, I had fully transitioned from alternating soda and water to simply water all day, every day. That first month had me pretty dependent on artificial sweeteners too, but I felt that it was slowing my scale losses somehow, so in August I cut out artificial sweeteners and I've seen really good progress to this day. I still have the occasional diet root beer, and I've had maybe three or four caffeinated drinks in August, but for the most part, there's no place for caffeine in my day-to-day. Remains to be seen what'll happen during the school year though. It's still very within the possibility of becoming stressed enough to relapse back into my dependence, but I suppose that's trial every addict has to face at some point.
  • MakotoYuu
    Options
    I cut my coffee intake, but it was ridiculous at like 50 ounces a day. Now when I do indulge it's maybe 8-10 - one cup with breakfast, and one with lunch. Lately been drinking 1-2 crystal light packs, they make some with caffeine, with my water per day to keep water palatable and me hydrated.

When I was more stringently paleo I eliminated it entirely. No difference aside from being a tad hungrier. I find coffee also nips the sweet-creamy-dessert cravings I get, but I haven't had those lately either.
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have not cut out caffeine at all. As I only drink water, diet soda, or powerade zero, I use diet drinks to satisfy my need for sweets. If it has slowed my weight loss, I am okay with it. If I ever hit an extended plateau (more than 3 weeks), I'll omit it from my diet.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Nope! I still drink iced tea whenever I want, an occasional diet soda, and a rare coffee.
  • icanhaztp
    icanhaztp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I cut out caffeine when I started keto, but did it because I was having trouble sleeping and waking up. I miss it sometimes.