Need advice re weights...

Options
Hi Everyone,

Currently, I am walking, doing cardio kickboxing, using 5 lb hand weights, and a 25 lb kettlebell (alternating, so I don't get bored). Raising calories to between 1500-1800 was one of the best things I have done, and even though the scale is moving verrrrry slowly, I am seeing good results. Now, I want to take my workouts to the next level.

I read New Rules of Lifting about a month ago. Really want to do it. However, the book said repeatedly that weight machines are inferior to the "real thing". While I believe this is most likely true, weight machines are all I have access to at this point (in my apartment complex gym - funds are too tight right now for other places/options). So, my questions are these:

1) Has anyone used weight machines after reading NROLW, and found them useful/adequate for training?

2) How can I learn to use these to my best advantage? Some of them are easy to figure out, but with a couple I am clueless as to correct usage.

Replies

• Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think it would be better than no strength training, but I've heard several times that free weights are best, good luck !
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Using the machines is better than nothing for sure. I trained with weight machines and free weights consistently for 9 months before starting NROL4W, but I'm having better results with NROL4W in ONE MONTH than I did with my trainer using mostly the machines. You should definitely get a routine going with the machines though! You can still build strength even if you can't use free weights.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I did not have access to either machines or weights, so i bought plate weights and add to them as needed. Not too expensive. I got some from walmart and others from a used sports equipment store.

A pain in the butt because you have to keep changing weights but well worth the price. I have about 80 pounds of weight now and probably spent about $50.
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    The main reason free weights are better is that they incorporate more muscles ("compound exercises") rather than involving just one muscle group ("isolation exercises"). Machines are largely isolation exercises.

As others have said, using machines is better than nothing! But you might add in some bodyweight compound exercises, too, like these:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/